Koss PRODJ100: Headphones by which all others must be judged!
May 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 22
Oh okay. Thank you for the info.!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 22
just bought these for 43 bucks on amazon.

the mids and highs are pretty good

vocals are fantastic

bass is a bit lacking (beware bassheads)

for those who have a big head: beware you might have to bend the headband because the phones come with a very tight clamp stock. they are plastic so dont be afraid to bend it a bit.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 22

for those who have a big head: beware you might have to bend the headband because the phones come with a very tight clamp stock. they are plastic so dont be afraid to bend it a bit.

The clamping force goes away after a few days of use. They're also a bit more "creaky" until they're used for awhile.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 22

The clamping force goes away after a few days of use. They're also a bit more "creaky" until they're used for awhile.

thanks for the "heads" up lol. i got a huge head so they actually caused pain out of the box and i was impatient, so i bent it.
also I put some small foam pads at the top of the headband for comfort.
they feel so much better compared to out of the box.

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 22
After reading your suggestion to poke holes through the tape. I had to give it a try to see if it would improve the sound. Big mistake for me as it took away the smoothness of the instruments, really harsh to my ears. Imaging was more prominent but harsh. Now I'm desperate to duplicate the old sound but masking tape just isn't doing it. Anyone have any suggestions on the sort of tape I need ? Although the M50 pads are a big improvement on the clarity it loses some of the character of the Koss pads. I've put a single sheet of kitchen roll cut to the size of the headphone between the headphone and the pads. To my hears it's now more like the Koss pads but with the comfort of the M50s.

I don't remember what's under the holes but if you're trying to seal them, use electrical tape.

I also put a piece of adhesive craft felt over the driver to muffle some ringing I heard in the very upper treble (organ music).

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #21 of 22
$43 on Amazon right now. Can you get a better set of phones for $43? I submit that you cannot. 

I have become a sort of fanboy for Koss as a result of these headphones. I worked at Best Buy and finally got a set of these after trying a couple of pairs of Sennheiser headphones. (Not the really high level Sennheiser, though.) The Sennheisers just weren't very nice, in my ears. I returned them and finally got a set of the Koss Pro DJ100s. I was amazed. 

After that, when people would come in looking for headphones, I would usually try to steer them toward Koss. They all wanted Beats and the vast majority couldn't be talked out of it. I felt bad that they were going to be paying $220 more for headphones that just aren't as rich-sounding.

Recently, my Pro DJ100s went belly up. I was going to order a set of the Tony Bennett signature headphones ($60 on Amazon) but then I found a set of Koss HV/1As on Craigslist for $40. I bought them and I love them. Saved $20, too. 

Still miss the 100s, though.

By the way, when I was working at Best Buy, our employee price on headphones was "cost + 5%". What was the employee cost in dollars? ....$43.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 22
Just tried the BT540i pads with my DJ200 as the pads are much higher quality. Unfortunately no joy. Although the quality is better and comfort a vast improvement on the DJ200 the sound is harsh. M50's still the most comfortable but I prefer the sound signature on the Koss pads. With the M50 pads they sound similar to my Sony V6. The quality is improved with the M50 pads but it loses that warm signature a little. I use the X1's (with the X2 cable to improve bass which it should have been first time around ) If I need to listen to music but the DJ200 with stock pads for vocals and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back