Koss pro DJ100 vs Shure SRH440 buying help
Mar 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sixpakal

New Head-Fier
Currently I'm torn between the two.  I've heard good things about both but not sure which one to get.  I'll keep this short and list off my requirements for my headphone. 

() Must perform well unamped.  My main source will be a Ipod Nano 4g
() Must have good sound isolation.  I will be listening next to my wife in bed who is sleeping, so I wish not to disturb her. 
() Must sound good for progressive rock/rock/metal.  The main bands I listen to are Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse, and ax7. 

Both of these fit my price range (under $100) and have good reviews.  I'm leaning towards the Shure right now since the sound stage seems to be better, but the Koss lifetime warranty is tempting (I broke my last headphones in 5 months).  Any thoughts from the community?  And please limit it to just these two headphones. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 3
The SRH-440 will have better isolation. The Dj100 has decent isolation, but nothing special.

The DJ100 is too picky about source. Should be fine out of a Nano, but maybe not. There's only a few portable devices that work well with the Dj100. Ipod Touch, Sansa Clip and that's all i've tried with good results.

The SRH-440 is also a bit big and bulky. Not a very comfortable headphone at all.

I would say the DJ100 definitely has a better soundstage than the SRH-440 and it only gets larger with an amp.

One idea is to grab the DJ100 at any Best Buy and return it if you don't like it. You can even check stock online and do store pickup! They also carry the SRH-440 sometimes.

DJ100 will probably have more bass and more forward mids, but less treble. To me, the DJ100 actually sounded more balanced. SRH-440 might be a better match for metal though. Radiohead is very impressive with the DJ100, especially Thom Yorke's solo album "The Eraser".

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi! Situation is similar to sixpakal's. I need a more or less portable headphones to be used with my clip+ mostly for rock, heavy metal and electronic music. It is hard to make a decision since I read in various reviews that these Koss headphones should be amped to get their full potential, have non-detachable cord and are not too good (mentioned in the same reviews) for my favourite kinds of music. However, Shure's are described as not too comfortable and they look a bit bulky for me. Or may be I should ignore both of those headphones and go for Grado sr60i (I don't think thats a good idea because of their open design)? What would you recomend in such situation?

P.S. I live in Latvia, so it is a bit hard to find a dealer which has both of those headphones in stock, so exchange is not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back