Koss Pro DJ100 - Larger ear pads?
Aug 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mr B

Head-Fier
So, apparently i got large ears. I just got a pair of these headphones as a gift, and it seams i have to poke the lower part of my earlobe in to the cup with a finger when fitting the headphones, or they will start to hurt after 15-20 mins. The upper end of the earlobe is slightly pressed against the kushion's inside, making the temple arms of my (prescription) glasses somewhat uncomfy. Is there a replacement pad that is slightly larger, or should i just try and have the girl who gave em to me take em back to the store, and find a new gift? I like the sound, but i'm hardly a connoisseur, the thing that makes it hard to ask for these to be replaced altogether, is the girl. I would treasure them just for the effort she put in to figuring out what to get me, but i'd hate for her to see them hanging on the same spot week after week, and never get used. So i have to make em fit, or figure out how to ask her to take em back, and figure something else out.

B!

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 9
As I have been told, the dj100s are quite good headphones for the price at which they are available and I think the choice was right. The afficianado of the dj100s on head-fi is tdockweilerand I am pretty sure he would know out of anyone.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I shamelessly took the name you provided, and sent him a short PM with a link here. I hope he turns up and saves me from having to break her heart by forcing her to return the cans. Thank you for the name dropping, big thanks.
B!

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 9
I'll check with Sweetwater, and see what they can do, Amazon sucks for us here in my part of the world. No shipping to Sweden.
I already knew you like the M50 pads, but i had no idea if they would provide more or less ear-space. But at this point it seams they would be a bit more roomy, and worth a try. Thank you for the fast response.
B!

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 9
I managed to get hold of a pair of M50 pads.
I'm using a old Nokia 5800 & the PAV2V2 as my "on the go" entertainment center, so i have no idea what this can do with a proper source, but my first impression when i threw a random MP3 on was "Ok, so at-least they are more comfy."
There wasn't a whole lot more to say, they sounded pretty much identical. I sort of was playing with the headphones while i was supposed to be somewhere else, so i ran out after that. When i got back home, i threw a couple of different MP3's on the set. Went back to the PC, and played the first, and the new MP3's there. Scratched my head. Yeah, there is something going on here. I'm not sure what gives, but the first MP3 has  alot more bass on the PC on the phone, and the others sound pretty much the same on both devices. Either-way, listening to a bit more tracks, yeah, the M50 pads do indeed give a bit more bass, and finally i can use the headphones for hours on end without my ears getting squashed.
Next up is one of those cheap tube amps for stationary use. The headphones simply aren't loud enough through the PAV2V2, with the phone & headset as source. I'm guessing it could easily be fixed but would take shipping it back to Gary since i sure wouldn't be able to get the gain balanced. I haven't tried any other sources (don't have any) so i cant say, but i bet the phone isn't exactly a great starting source, and the active headset is killing the sound levels. But the sound quality isn't bad for a crappy phone, so i have to be pleased with the end result for "on the move" purposes.
I can see this getting hot as hell during the summer tho, so i might get a set of velour pads as well, if i can find something that fit's my ears, and the headphones.
Anyways, cheers everyone.

B!

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT-250
These make the DJ100 way, way too fatiguing and shouty. They killed my ears and no modding seems to have fixed it.

Fit, sure, but it doesn't seam like he would recommend em.
B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back