Koss Pro-4AA: Admiring from a distance ...
Dec 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wanted to say, these are some goofy looking headphones and I can't seem to take my eyes off them. If it weren't for the bad reviews (e.g. lack of bass), I probably would've picked up a pair. Has anyone tried to swap out the drivers from a better set (Denons, Beyerdynamic, etc.)?

Otherwise, I'll keep looking at them, trying to convince myself that looks aren't everything:

So Ugly They Look Cool.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 10
well they do date from the '70s so ugly is part of their charm. Not so charming is the weight, pressure and discomfort that comes from wearing them. I had a set in the mid 70s and the pain still lingers
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well they do date from the '70s so ugly is part of their charm. Not so charming is the weight, pressure and discomfort that comes from wearing them. I had a set in the mid 70s and the pain still lingers
wink.gif

they're kind of like the headphones I want to own so that when people see them they know I'm an audio nerd ... wait a sec ... I think that may be a bad thing ...

confused.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 10
I think if the drivers were replaced with something decent and you replace the pads with something thicker and softer they'll be fine. I actually like the look as well. I have a set of Koss ESP-9 electrostatics that are exactly the same except black.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 10
I have been looking at these awhile back but was told that they are very hungry for power, and that they have a clamping force of a vice. However I to look back at them every now and then. That throwback look just does it for me.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuba0555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking at these awhile back but was told that they are very hungry for power, and that they have a clamping force of a vice. However I to look back at them every now and then. That throwback look just does it for me.

They seem to be a rewarding project to mod. I'd like to keep the style but perhaps swap out the drivers, replace the pads, and find a way to lessen up the clamping force. I have a big head and I find headphones like Sennheiser uncomfortable because of the clamp while loose fitting headphones like Grados seem to "sit" better on my head.

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to say, these are some goofy looking headphones and I can't seem to take my eyes off them. If it weren't for the bad reviews (e.g. lack of bass), I probably would've picked up a pair. Has anyone tried to swap out the drivers from a better set (Denons, Beyerdynamic, etc.)?

Otherwise, I'll keep looking at them, trying to convince myself that looks aren't everything:

So Ugly They Look Cool.

i have the exact same question only with the koss pro4aaa, i too was entranced by these vintage cans and they are preety cool but they sound terrible , but this also cuz me earpads weree shot when i got them buti moded some different ones on there for the mean time,but it dosent do much good, i am totally planning on dropping some new drivers in there but i dont know what will fit, also i dont know how the aa is mounted butt he aaa has these plastic screws melted in or something which i presume is gonna make it a son of a gun to get out,,

what dirvers will owrk fo rthe koss pro 4aaa and how do u get the old ones out easiest?

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I am aware that this in an old thread, but I am new to the site. The Koss Pro4aa are not the best cans I have ever heard, nor are they the worst. However, I chose them as my avatar because they hold a special place in my heart, and my ears. I was an on-air personality between the ages of 19 to 24 and one of the older dj's turned me on to them. At the time, I had used several cheap headphones ranging from about $15 to $45. The sound was not great, but it got the job done. What did not cut it for me was the wear and tear and eventual breaking every couple of months from these cheaper headphones. At the station that I was hired at was this old timer that had been on radio longer than I had been alive, and he used these huge, and what looked like aviation styled headphones. I fell in love with the retro look. He offered me a pair for $80, and I said sure, later I realized that I had probably bought a refurbished pair. (although all parts of the headphones appeared new, they were not in any commercial packaging) I used those Koss Pro4aa for the rest of my radio career and attribute my love of headphones to them.

I still have them and use them once and a while, when I'm feeling nostalgic. While they do weight a hefty amount I don't think I personally ever got tired of wearing them in the studio for long periods of time. I have a big head, size 8 in caps and hats, and have never felt that vice like clamping that some of you have described. I actually really liked the seal that they provided, because I never got any feedback from bleeding into a live mic. I will not delve into an actual analysis of the sound of these cans, but I will say that they were enjoyable to listen to with the types of music that we played at the station as well as my personal taste in music. Durability and retro styling are what made them my day to day choice for broadcasting.        

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 10
I bought a pair of them last year or so, and I really liked them. Since I had enough headphones, I ended up giving them away to a family member who didn't have any good headphones. I want to get another pair, and I probably will sometime soon. They had this like smooth sound, that kind of worked well with a lot of music. I loved the way they looked, and honestly, I kind of liked how they fit. They were heavy, but they weren't terribly uncomfortable. I kind of liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back