Koss PortaPro - very uncomfortable
Dec 20, 2002 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jedd

New Head-Fier
Just received my new Koss Portapros and have few negative comments on em - while the sound is superb the overall comfort is really sucks
mad.gif

1) they are too tight and the wider you open them the thighter they are (ok, maybe I just have too big head
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
2) Metal 2 layer headband is simply awful - every time you put them on you hair sticks between 2 bands and when they start to move you start to loose your hair
3) There is a metal sharp hook between 2 pads from the right side facing toward your ear and guess what it does? Right - it scratches your right ear every time you want to adjust your glasses or pads.
:very disapointed:
I wonder is sportapros are as bad as this one?
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Your ears must be quite different from mine. I find the porta pros one of the most comfortable headphones I have used. My hair never gets caught in the band. Maybe it's because I'm already so thin up top
eek.gif

I think my porta pros are more comfortable, especially as the hours wear on, than my senn 580s.

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 12
I also find the Portapros to be the most comfortable I have used. Have you tried to adjust the lateral pressure to "light"?

The Sportapros have fewer sticking parts (actually they have fewer parts, period), but if I remeber correctly, at least initially, with new Sportapros, the lateral pressure was a bit too much.

Dec 20, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Jedd...

...I too can't comprehend your complaints. But there are solutions: you can bend the headband upwards to loosen it, and even if your head is large, you should get a comfortable fit that way; in addition, there's a comfortZone adjustment.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 12
im with this lot... i had a new pair sent to me a couple of weeks back and have found nothing but pure joy from such a lesser priced headphone.. as others say.. over long periods they sooo comfortable i forget i have them on... i got loads of hair and havent had any get stuck yet :0)... these are a tribute to what can be accomplished for such a low ammount of money.. top class!

Dec 21, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, I guess they just don't go well together with my head-type
frown.gif

Because I can get used to the preasure and metal band, but that metal hook really hurts my ear. I'm keep wondering - why it's there at all and what happens if I cut it off.

Dec 22, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jedd
......I can get used to the preasure and metal band, but that metal hook really hurts my ear. I'm keep wondering - why it's there at all and what happens if I cut it off.

The metal hook is used to fasten the cans in the "close" position( after you bend the drivers it hooks to the latch on the opposite part)...so if you cut it of nothing happens except you can't fasten the headphones anymore in the "close" position.

Dec 22, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Jedd,

Just a thought: You do slide the bands open, don't you? Not simply spreading the distance between the drivers, but sliding the bands open as well? They do open quite wide, and they are extremely comfortable.

Later.

Dec 22, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Ooh, good point! It all makes sense now, if you're not sliding the two sliders together towards the middle!

Dec 22, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 12
I find the Portapros extremely comfortable...I sleep with them on, they're very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had no problems with the metal hook, in fact no matter how I try to position the headphones on my head right now, the hook never gets in the way. Sometimes if I try and put on/take off the headphones too fast the band plucks a hair out, but it's no big deal. It's sounds to me like you're not using the slider mechanism right as well. =^/

I don't really care for the "comfortZone" thing, because in order to take the pressure off of your ears it applies the pressure on your head...which is ultimately more uncomfortable IMO.

The only problem I have with my Portapros is that, for the best performance, I have to routinely take off the drivers and blow in them, and check for hairs under the pads. Otherwise hair and other stuff does get in there and causes a very annoying buzzing sound in the drivers... It's a hassle, but if I don't do it often the buzzing drives me crazy.

Dec 22, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 12
After I tore off the 'comfortZone' pads (they put pressure on the side of my head), and permanently fixed the zone adjustment to [light]*, my PortaPros are very comfortable.

* In this position, the 'comfortZone' pads put on the most pressure, and in my case doing nothing good whatsoever.

Dec 22, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 12
A little advice: I find that the easiest way to put them on is to slide the sliders all the way to the middle until they meet and touch. If you slide them all the way up, then they actually stay stuck there. Then you slide them over your ears comfortably and ease the sliders apart until the fit is just right. As a side note, only the left slider actually slides. The right one is a fixed anchor. That may help you better come to grips with the porta pro system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back