Koss portaPro Appreciation *revisted*
Aug 11, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 31
I've been using them for several months and found them pretty good for the price, but I have to agree they've taken a few hairs here and there.

I do find them too bassy for me most of the time.

I haven't used them for a while as I've been using my DT880's and a new MGHead OTL tube amp and not using my portable set up.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 31
We should all have a running count of how many hairs the portaPro's have taken out of each of our heads. I have owned mine for about 6 months or so, and they have probably taken 15-20 hairs out of my head...sometimes two at a time!

Otherwise I think they are comfortable...well on the medium or 'full comfort' positions. I don't like them with the full force position.

I just picked up some KSC-35's to compare the sound. I'm hoping this will allow me to better judge the difference made by my portaPro recable. Plus I wanted some 'clip on's".

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #18 of 31
I have both KSC35s and the portpros ($10 at tower, tower shoppers are so damn superficial that anything ugly will never be purchased.)

At first I was certain the portas were better with punchier sound and stronger bass. I am starting prefer the ksc's although they need more volume to deliver better sound, they are clearer and don't have as muddy bass. I will keep working testing both with different types of music. The Portas can be really harsh on anything really high with timbre. They will distort a bit and you can hurt your ears.

The KSCs take more effort to put on but are easier to bike with and rarely need to be reseated. I got the wire caught one time, though and damn near ripped an ear off.

Yeah, they pinch hair occasionally but I think on firm, they deliver pretty good sealing sound for small headphones.

Just like iPod earbuds they can be a conversation starter due to their "unique" appearance. People normally think they are out of the eighties and want to know where I got such "retro" headphones.

Aug 12, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
I have the portapro 2's. Love them but I hate the hair pulling headband. Someday I may need all of those lost hairs.

I was reading a thread about these. Do they visually look different than the original portaPro's?

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #22 of 31
I picked up some Porta Pros because I was tired of wearing my SR60's around when I wanted to be a little more mobile.

While they do not sound nearly as good as the Grados, they are still better than I expected! The bass does not go that low but it has punch.

I highly recommend them. The hair-caught-in-the-band thing only happens if you adjust the band while its on your head.

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 31
How does the KSC-75 compare to the portapro's? I use to own the portapros a while back.. the rebrand/modeled version at radioshack... anyways.. I liked the sound real well.. but I need more bass so I returned it and got the hd202's anyways.. I am thinking of picking up the cheap KSC-75 alone with my order of hd485...

how do the portapro's and KSC-75 compare?

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I was reading a thread about these. Do they visually look different than the original portaPro's?

A little, not much.

P.S. I love my Portapro2's, and agree it's amazing how good they still sound after switching from pricier cans. Also, IMO break-in is important and the sound improves considerably over time.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by br0k3nman
Just like iPod earbuds they can be a conversation starter due to their "unique" appearance. People normally think they are out of the eighties and want to know where I got such "retro" headphones.

They ARE from the eighties. The aesthetics are the same since 1984, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 31
Its nice but the bass ruins it for me.

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #27 of 31
just got my Porta Pro today, only have about 2 hours on them so far.

right off the bat, I pulled out a hair. not even 5 minutes after I opened the package and first time putting them on. I adjusted the size to my head, then took a very thin piece of masking tape and wrapped it around the top of the headband.

it took me a few minutes to figure out what the 'Comfort Zone' actually did, and I have it in the middle now.

first impression was massive bass and almost nothing else. I was slightly disappointed, but the highs have already started to come around and the bass is more controlled.

I think the mids are still lacking - hopefully that will improve as I put more hours on it. I really don't like supra-aural cans, but the comfort is great. adjusting the Comfort Zone setting really helped.

They're definitely not exciting compared to other cans I've heard. It could use a bit more definition to put a grin on my face...but hey, they're cheap.

Overall, I'm happy with them. I might pick up a PX100 and compare them.

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by guvnor
I think the mids are still lacking - hopefully that will improve as I put more hours on it.

In my experience, it does... a lot. Amping them also helps, and I hear using a 75-ohm adapter helps as well (never tried it, can't find one at a good price). Bass will always be 'big' with these cans, and that fact will always turn some people off. Personally, I have plenty of music that sounds good with lots of bass... for the rest, I can put on my HD580s.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #29 of 31
My sportapros were $7 shipped!!

What a deal!!

Mellow sounding KSC75 with more bass thump. Thumbs up from me, when I tire of my modded KSC75.

Garrett

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
My sportapros were $7 shipped!!

What a deal!!

Where from? Are they used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back