Koss Portapro 2 for $20!
May 6, 2004 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Rizumu

Thinks I like him.
May 6, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 85
'bout time! A much more appropriate price than the $39.99 that all my stores have it at..

Although the last time I tried, Circuit City didn't even want to match their own price they had on the website for a Rio mp3 player I was looking at. Hopefully they'll be more cooperative this time.

May 6, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 85
Schweet. Summer's coming up and I was looking for a decent set of portable cans (my KTX-Pro's died late last year). Ordered. I just hope the bass is a *little* mellower and less muddy than the KTX-Pro (but if not I can live with it).

P.S. I was charged tax, total was $21.75 shipped. Still quite a good price, these low-priced Koss cans have been a long-time "bang for the buck" favorite of mine. If the bass were just toned down they might even qualify as "audiophile sound," at least at lower volume levels
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Is that a pricing error?

I just ordered two pairs as gifts
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope these sound good
rolleyes.gif

Supposedly same drivers as KSC-35s. If they're anything like the Koss KTX-Pro then bass can be muddy, boomy and one-note (particularly at higher volumes), but the word is that pad placement has a major effect on this. Otherwise, for the price they'd be unbeatable.

I'm hoping they sound better than my KTX-Pros... if so, then imo they're an incredible steal at the price. If not, they're just a very good deal
smily_headphones1.gif
. Useless on aircraft, but great for general portable usage in relatively low noise environments.

May 6, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 85
If the drivers are the same, you can't go wrong for twenty bucks. I've got a pair of Sportapros - they're not audiophile cans, but better than everything else at the price.

May 6, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
'bout time! A much more appropriate price than the $39.99 that all my stores have it at..

Although the last time I tried, Circuit City didn't even want to match their own price they had on the website for a Rio mp3 player I was looking at. Hopefully they'll be more cooperative this time.

That happened to me once. And their excuse was "Oh, sometimes we have internet only specials." This didn't jive with me. You have 2 options. I did the second.

First is to buy online and pay the cheaper price, and have them "ship" to the store. If it's in stock at the store, you just bring the receipt and get the item for the internet price.

Second is to call someone at the store and tell them you want to match the price, since it's the same as ordering online and picking up at the store. Even they told me that usually the people who won't match the internet price are like newbie workers because they just don't know. So I got the name of the guy I talked to on the phone, and went in and dealt with him directly, and I even brought in a printout from the online ad, and they price adjusted right there. Sigh. Silly noobs.

May 6, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 85
HI: I just came home with a pair of portapro2. At the store they cost 39.95 but if you order them on line and choose pickup express at the store they cost 19.95. So I ordered them on line and then went to the store and got them. They sound great. Better than the PRO1. I cut nickle size hole in the pads to let the mids and highs out and tame the bass. They don't have the comfort zone but do have the temple pads on them. A great deal fore 19.95 and very comfortable. They will be great this summer fore my portable rig. At first listen I like them better than my E2 because of the better sound stage and better bass. Also I can hear my phone ring with them on.
PS
I pluged them into my NAD C542 HDCD player and PPA amp fore burn in and played Dire Straights HDCD and WOW what great sound. These can handle a portable rig or a home rig. Not a hint of breakup in either rig.

May 7, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 85
Does the head band still cause hair to be torn out at the slightest movemets ? Hate that about the PP's.

May 7, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 85
First store I went to had them ring up at $19.95, but the salesperson noticed it. $19.95 was for KTXPro1's, which is the replacement product when the PortaPros aren't in stock (which according to the computer it wasn't though was on the floor). He corrected it back to $39.99 ... on sale! Several days later (today), went to a different store and this time the guy rang up $19.99. Another PP2 owner.

May 7, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 85
blessingx
HI: Do you feel that the portapro2 is an improvement in sound over the old portapro? I seem to think that the pro2 has a more controled bass. But it has been a good while since I had the portapro. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back