Koss MV1 v. Audio Technica ATH-M50 v. AKG-K81-DJ
May 30, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #17 of 24
Hey, I am a complete and total dumb-dumb when it comes to headphones...But after searching this forum and the internet the ATH-M50s are looking like a great deal for a cheap-ish pair of nice headphones...My one question about these is, how good is the bass? I'm definitely not a base-head, but I do tend to listen to some hip-hop and other music where bass is fairly important. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS
Primary use will be portable...

May 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 24
I've found the bass quite good on these, very full and strong (not too muddy). Definantly adequate for my hip hop and progressive house music needs.

May have been due to extended burn-in time from previous owner (heard that they start off with a bit anemic bass). But i'm sure you can burn them in easily yourself.

I'm not sure if you mind about aesthetics, but they may be a bit big for portable use, but that's only if you're conscious of people looking at large headphones on your noggin
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I am a complete and total dumb-dumb when it comes to headphones...But after searching this forum and the internet the ATH-M50s are looking like a great deal for a cheap-ish pair of nice headphones...My one question about these is, how good is the bass? I'm definitely not a base-head, but I do tend to listen to some hip-hop and other music where bass is fairly important. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PS
Primary use will be portable...

I amplify mine wita Graham Slee Voyager, put it on "countour" mode, And there is ALL the bass you can listen to...

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 24
Anemic Bass is not the way to describe the M50s. Out of the box the bass is already very apparent, but the lower oomph will come out with time.

I have both the k81 dj an the m50. Dontv have the other one but I can give a lot of insight on the other two.

For the price, the k81s are great. Not as good as the m50s but they are smaller and easier to bring around for portables. The m50 is clearly the better sounding set, an is still great from a portable without an amp. I use both to listen to chillout, lounge, jazz and reggae and they are both good for these... Hip hop will be no problem.

I'd also say the m50s look great or a circumaural set. Headphones like this tend to look like crap but the m50s are very handsome. I just don't like their coiled cable so you may want to get the S model.

The m50s are a lot more comfortable than the k81s, despite being heavier. If comfort is a factor the k81s are not your best choice.

So in conclusion the m50s are better overall, but if portabiity is a bigger factor the k81s may be better, and if you need comfort get re m50s. SQ is better for m50 but the k81s are an acceptable substitute for this kind of sound.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 24
Amazon has a very thorough review of the MV1 by a customer that was quite positive.

Based on the sub $100 price out the door, the risk is minimal.

4 of 5 stars by Ty

I suggest you read his very thoughtful and full review at Amazon.

"A pleasantly voiced closed back can for those seeking a laid back sound, June 24, 2008
By Tyrell Goetz "Ty"
Koss has produced a very interesting headphone here. It does not sound like any other I've listened to, which is not necessarily a bad thing.".......................

........................It results in a very mellow sound that places strong emphasis on the lower midrange and male vocals. There is definitely no risk of listening fatigue or sibilance/harshness on these cans. They fare surprisingly well with classical music, something I was not expecting considering the lack of treble energy. ..................

...............The headband is very comfortable, more so than my K701 in fact, but there is enough clamping force that the cups tend to irritate pressure points around your jaw over time. Worse is the matter of your ears getting hot and sweaty over long listening periods................................

..............Soundstage and imaging are, considering my comments about the treble response, impressive............................

I wonder if some other ear pads that are breathable but less isolating?

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 24
i have had the mv1 and the akg k81dj.
the mv1 is a high point for koss and has a much more balanced sound than other koss cans like the pro4aat and pro3aa. it also has funky vinyl earpads that are not comfy at all, and feels slightly cheap.

the k81dj has a smile shaped eq built in and is a 'fun' headphone but thats it.

havent heard the m50 but have heard the m40 and pro700. i would bet the m50 blows away the koss and akg

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 24
this thread is promising. Im a IEM guy originally. Ive been bit curious about full size headphones and was likely to hop onboard the Grado Bandwagon and pick up some Sr80's, but when i found these reviewed better in terms of bass, & sound isolation the ath-m50 was the sure decission, Hopefully they will be here sometime this week & im hoping the full size headphones produce a sound quality even better then my westone UM1's , I also find it interesting that these review better then the ath-a700's which is targeted more for the audiophile according to the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back