Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #573 of 1,442
That Parts Express headband and the PortaPro headband look great, and now I want to get a headband for my KSC75, except that I'm bald and I don't wait that aluminum band pressing into my skin. Is there a compatible headband with cushions, or alternatively an easy mod that would put a small cushion on the top of one of those headbands?

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #574 of 1,442
  That Parts Express headband and the PortaPro headband look great, and now I want to get a headband for my KSC75, except that I'm bald and I don't wait that aluminum band pressing into my skin. Is there a compatible headband with cushions, or alternatively an easy mod that would put a small cushion on the top of one of those headbands?

I was thinking that it could be wrapped very easily with paracord.  Pull the ends through like you'd wrap an eyelet on a fly-rod.  That'd be a quick fix.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #575 of 1,442
My buddy is a rather able modder, so this was goofy easy for him, but he helped out my ksc75's a bit. I had crazy glued on some steel mesh in place of the driver covers, but it was ugly (I did a crappy job) and there was also some vibration/resonance in one of the drivers with heavy bass (I'm not sure if this existed before or after my mod). Regardless, somehow my buddy fixed both issues by replacing the crappy steel mesh that I used with some good quality stuff that he felt had "more appropriate hole pattern sizes to allow for slight restriction of highs" (like I said, he's good lol!). And instead of using the WaynesWorld tried and true "crazy glue" method, he affixed the mesh properly using dynamat which bonded the mesh to the shell as one and reduced vibration an dampened the shell at the same time.

I wasn't really expecting this mod to get rid of the bass resonance/vibration, but it did - for the life of me, I can't make the vibration/resonance happen now.

Here's a pic of my pathetic mod..

And here is his much better looking job lol!

Bottom line is that they now sound rather fantastic... and no bass vibration/resonance!
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #581 of 1,442
My Magical Folding KSC75...

20141020_193512.jpg

20141020_194011.jpg

20141020_193853.jpg

20141020_194106.jpg

I found this cheap on eBay:

20141020_135917.jpg

Review:

- Is it more comfortable than the Parts Express Headband?: Heck No

- Do the Clips/Drivers fit well onto the headband?: NOPE, not really. Had to bend the clips with my teeth to fit.

- Does the folding make it more portable?: Not much...

- What is good about this headband then?: It is yellow.

- Was it worth a few bucks to try out?: Yeah, why not. It could have actually worked out, you do not know until you try.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #582 of 1,442
I was gonna get the link from you before reading your summary lol! Great post!

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #583 of 1,442

Simple but effective. I feel the KSC35 clips are superior. They have a tighter fit and weigh less than the KSC75 clips. However, the only way to get them now is to buy a KSC35 from koss.com for $45. The KSC35 drivers have a slightly smeary midrange, but the KSC75 drivers don't. The KSC75 drivers have notably less bass but +4 bass on the FiiO E17 fixes that. Now I have the best of both worlds  :D

This combination (KSC75 w/KSC35 clips, FiiO E17 +4 bass) is absolutely phenomenal. It sounds better than my $80 Grado SR60i and my $200 Sennheiser CX980 IEMs. I have to go up to the Grado SR225i to be subjectively better, but I feel that's from the soundstage because the drivers are further away from your ear. Giant killers indeed!

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #584 of 1,442

Simple but effective. I feel the KSC35 clips are superior. They have a tighter fit and weigh less than the KSC75 clips. However, the only way to get them now is to buy a KSC35 from koss.com for $45. The KSC35 drivers have a slightly smeary midrange, but the KSC75 drivers don't. The KSC75 drivers have notably less bass but +4 bass on the FiiO E17 fixes that. Now I have the best of both worlds  :D

This combination (KSC75 w/KSC35 clips, FiiO E17 +4 bass) is absolutely phenomenal. It sounds better than my $80 Grado SR60i and my $200 Sennheiser CX980 IEMs. I have to go up to the Grado SR225i to be subjectively better, but I feel that's from the soundstage because the drivers are further away from your ear. Giant killers indeed!

A little off topic, but bro if you haven't put L-cush pads on your SR60i then you've been missing out :) I recommend getting the ear zonk ones from amazon, cheaper and softer than the official Grado pads.

To end on an on topic note, I actually feel the KSC75 have the perfect amount of bass for me. I have been curious about trying out the PortaPros and switching drivers to see if it's really so much better... but I like the sound so much already I kind of don't want it to change.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #585 of 1,442
Ordered these babes... hopefully answer to my forever problem of finding something that sounds good and works for exercise, cycling etc. In general I prefer to have awareness over isolation when out and about.

Had one of the Sennheiser sport models, sounded kinda crap and at least the one I had was awkward to use. Also PX-100 which was pretty good, but fell off constantly, headband caused issues with hair, helmets, hats, glasses etc.

Also nice for any social setting because it's pretty rude to make people always have to use their imagination how get attention of someone whose taking slight nap and listening IEMs or whatever... these things compromise every day life way too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back