Koss KSC75 - WOW!!
Aug 15, 2005 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jkozlow3

Head-Fier
Been lurking here for a few days and after reading all the positive comments about the Koss KSC75, I picked up a pair from Circuit City to use with my new iPod mini that my girfriend bought me.

All I can say is, WOW. I am VERY impressed with the sound from these phones. I'd have gladly paid $50 for these after hearing them - and the best part is they were only $20!!

For anyone looking for an small & inexpensive pair of phones for their portable, I HIGHLY recommend these. It takes a few minutes to get used to putting them on and to bend the clips to fit your ears properly, but once you play with them for a few minutes, it's pretty simple.

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Oh man, i wish i can get them for $20, at australia, it will cost me $50 USD at the retail stores. I'm also deciding between these or the hd 201's. They are both around that price range

Aug 15, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Congurculations! KSC-75 is the cheapest-best in the portable open desing line. But I preffer KSC-35 over them. I have both and now use only the 35's. They sound very similar but 3d imaging and detail is very little bit better on 35's. But you cant bend the earhook on 35. Enjoy your phones.

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I ordered two pairs last week, and they are still on backorder from Provantage, to my knowledge. I hope they get here soon, one pair is going to serve as a birthday present for a girl I like (I was originally going with SA1000's, but KSC75's+Yoshi taka Amano art book "Genmukyu"+ a copy of my collection of albums on mp3 format were IMO a better choice).
580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 15, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baycode
Congurculations! KSC-75 is the cheapest-best in the portable open desing line. But I preffer KSC-35 over them. I have both and now use only the 35's. They sound very similar but 3d imaging and detail is very little bit better on 35's. But you cant bend the earhook on 35. Enjoy your phones.

Yeah also find the sound of the KSC-35 to be a bit better than the KSC-75. Unfortunately the 75 is more comfortable. I am thinking about using some heatshrink on the hooks of the KSC-35 to make it more comfortable.

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Yeah also find the sound of the KSC-35 to be a bit better than the KSC-75. Unfortunately the 75 is more comfortable. I am thinking about using some heatshrink on the hooks of the KSC-35 to make it more comfortable.

You might also be able to use a heat gun or boiling water to soften and gently bend the earhooks???? Never tried it though, so heatshrink would be a safer route.

Garrett

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 13
The Ksc-35 is much better defently.
Yea the 35 is not so confortable after some hours of use.

But i can tell i just brought ksc-75 and i was a bit disapointed:

- The headphones seem more delicate
when adjusting ksc-75 on the ear POOOOF the headphone pieze
goes of , fortunaly i can put it on again
but come an this thing can break easy is just plastic
that worries me.

- ksc-75 is more confortable but is too far off the ear
(could be my ears also)

- record high volume bass songs listen
to both ksc-35 and ksc-75
you can hear distortions with ksc-75.

as for the sound ouput both headphones is equal
but ksc-35 boost out much more bass.

If i was to buy one of the headphones again
it would be ksc-35, better than ksc-75 defently.

Ksc-35 is huges, and flater i think , sound better
yea hurt a bit after a time use but this is beacause
is made to fit close to ear to have a better sound.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ericx
Oh man, i wish i can get them for $20, at australia, it will cost me $50 USD at the retail stores. I'm also deciding between these or the hd 201's. They are both around that price range

Umm, same in the UK (only found it in one online store). I know I would like them since I am looking portapro-like phone without headband. But then again, I could use that money and a bit more to try something different.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
You might also be able to use a heat gun or boiling water to soften and gently bend the earhooks???? Never tried it though, so heatshrink would be a safer route.

Garrett

I also prefer the ksc35 but i'm lucky in that they don't seem to bother my ears at all and i find them really comfortable. Actually, because the clip is smaller, they feel like they fit better to me. The ksc75 is still a great set of cans, especially for the price and i'll be keeping both sets.

There is a mold part line on the inside of the ksc35 clip. You can cut that down with an xacto knife. It should make it a bit more comfortable.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 13
I think my 35 and 75's are near equal in bass representation. But 35 is more controlled over the bass, especially in the upper volume settings. So I preffer 35 for the bass issue. I found my 35 to sit better and nearer to my ears than 75. Interestinglty I found 35 to be more confortable as well. I just had to bend one earpiece a little bit on my 35's. After reading tons of things in Headfi about how to bend them, I went to a local eyeglass shop. I wanted a glass of water from the worker. Than explained my problem and asked to use their eyeglass hook bender (actually a specially designed air heater). Then I removed the hook piece of the 35 and applied some hot air, bended the hook, and cooled it inside the glass of water! Its done! May be you can do the same if you use a hair dryer. But I did not try it. These days creative sells some ksc-35's on e-bay for just 20USD. If I have lived in USA I would not pass this offering. Just keep one eye on e-bay for 35's.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 13
I find the sound quality of the whole Koss 60 ohm driver series to be exellent for the price. I have not heard the KSC35's but I really like the sound of the KSC75's, although I hate the fit of clip-ons. I remedied this by mounting them inside Gemini Eggphones enclosures. They are held away from the ear, but I removed all foam, so they are more clear with more forward mids. The bass seems to be the same/similar to my ears.

I recently purchased the UR-40's to see what Koss' version of a circumaural, over-the-head, 60 ohm driver headphone would sound like. I really like them (comfort/sound/looks), although they seem a bit muddier (than the KSC75's) throughout the sound spectrum. Still very good for $25. I would recommend either (KSC75 or UR-40) to anyone looking for a good entry-level headphone.

Here's a link to my post showing both of the Koss headphones I own:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=koss+pics

Also, both of the headphone I've heard are the 'titanium coated' driver, which is supposed to sound a bit worse than the KSC35/PortaPro driver. I would like to hear these, but I hate clip-ons (KSC35), and don't care for the looks, or supraural headphones (PortaPros).

I also have a pair of vintage (70's) Koss Pro 4AA's. They have very clear, balanced sound, but I actually prefer the extra bass and forward mids of the 60 ohm series (plus they weigh A LOT). I even prefered the Koss sound over the $100, Sony D66 Eggo's (too flat and bass-shy).

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ragnarok999
But i can tell i just brought ksc-75 and i was a bit disapointed:

- The headphones seem more delicate
when adjusting ksc-75 on the ear POOOOF the headphone pieze
goes of , fortunaly i can put it on again
but come an this thing can break easy is just plastic
that worries me.

This is ridiculous. My KSC35's fall off their clips EVERYTIME I touch them. The ear clips are barely even attached to them. It is sad. Now the KSC75 clips hold onto the housing very well. You are smokin too much crack man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back