Koss ksc75 with a uDAC!!
Feb 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
soooo... ive been waiting for my damn solder to get here so i can finish my k702 recable and the wait has been 2 weeks due to a address error and in that two weeks i got the itch to try a pair of ksc75s
regular_smile .gif
got them from campus for $15. I definitely would say nothing ive heard touches the sound im getting from these with the uDAC for $15. I like how they sit a bit farther away from your ear than the squish of the porta pro, it gives them a bit more airy feel. they are really similar to my 702s in sound signature, yes that was a comparison to the 702 but really i was blown away by these guys. Only beef ive got is that at times they can sound a bit artificial and mettalic, but given the pricepoint i dont care. i smell a recable in the future..... haha, damn this addiction. Anybody else had a listen to the 75s with a uDAC?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 16
yep, i plugged in my ksc75 into my udac that is fed into my EF2 amp (using hytron 6ak5s)

and the bass is so punchy and the high frequencies that used to rip my ear drums before with my GE 5 star tubes now sound much more natural

they perform so well when amped

the bass for sure becomes punchier when you amp it... but this is probably related to the frequency-impedance graph (there is a positively sloped region in the graph around 30Hz)

so if you can give it a bit more power, it really does shine

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 16
yea, i plugged them into my hybrid and it was smoother for sure but for the sake of simplicity i left it as a straight out of the uDAC comment.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm wondering if the reason why I don't see what's so earth-shaking about the KSC75 is that I've only ever used it straight out of my iPod and laptop jack.

Going to give them another chance to wow me once I get a uDac (ordering today with expedited shipping since it's only $0.65 more).

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 16
good idea
regular_smile .gif
great buy there with that uDAC btw! also note im using lossless music files (FLAC) which will also play a roll in sq...

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, i plugged them into my hybrid and it was smoother for sure but for the sake of simplicity i left it as a straight out of the uDAC comment.

what i was mainly trying to get at is by supplying sufficient power to it (in this case I'm just using the amp for power, but the DAC is /still/ the uDAC so the presentation is the same, just with more power)

the udac for sure has enough power to sufficiently drive that region of the ksc75s that have the most impedance which is why it generally shines with more power

paired with the udac alone (just tried it), it still retains the same punch and the mids sound much more lively than how it was out of my portable

glad you love it... the udac made all the songs I listen to so much more engaging in general lol

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good idea
regular_smile .gif
great buy there with that uDAC btw! also note im using lossless music files (FLAC) which will also play a roll in sq...

Not enough to turn them from "best value in headphones" to "best headphones"
biggrin.gif

Although as per your request I'll try them out on my PC with some FLAC.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 16
These two are definitely a great match. I still use these two in tandem frequently when the side of my head/outer ears get tired from wearing circumaurals/supraaurals... uDAC does take it up an extra notch.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Man, with all this praise I might have found the perfect compliment to my crappy laptop DAC when on the move! And here I wasn't even thinking mobile.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 16
When the KSC75s are amped right, they compete with some $100 phones.
Theyre amazing for the price.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 16
+1 on ksc75 with amp

I had mine plugged into my ultra micro stack. My jaw dropped from I-can't-believe-these-are-only-15-bucks shock.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on ksc75 with amp

I had mine plugged into my ultra micro stack. My jaw dropped from I-can't-believe-these-are-only-15-bucks shock.

You're the reason why I even remembered to try plugging them into my amp. I had owned these before, but never used it on anything other than a portable.

Shows that the price : performance is just too good for these phones for anything under 100 dollars!
devil_face.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 16
agreed! wheres the ksc75 smiley??!! hahaha happy listening everybody!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back