Koss KSC75 Impressions
Dec 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 27
They actually can get a little cheaper than $16.

I hit up all the Radio Shacks in my area and picked up 20 of the KSC75s on clearance for $5.47 each last week! Go into any Rat Shack and have them look it up within the area based on the product code 3301243. (If you ask them to look up Koss KSC75 it won't come up.)

I've kramer modded and recabled with better cable (and to take out the volume control). They are now going to friends and family as Xmas presents.

For the price and sound quality they can't be beat.

For fit I just bend the earloop back a little bit so it doesn't press so hard against the back of my ear.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #17 of 27
one other think i forgot to mention. The Koss KTXpro ($19) uses the same driver as the KSC75 so it is essentially the same except it uses an over the head band instead of the ear clips.

I also like the KSC35 which are the same drivers as the KSC75 except they are not titanium coated so they have a lot more bass. The KSC35 ($50) are the same drivers as the portapro ($40) and sportapro ($20).

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #18 of 27
I'm going to recable one of my KSC75 with my damaged Headphile BlackSilver cable which shorted where the connection to the stock HD 650 plug/cable occurred. Will I hear a difference? Maybe not but it'll look crazy.

I thought I saw a pair of new KSC75 for sale recently...hmmmm...can't remember who it was.
ksc75smile.gif

I enjoyed that review Towert7. Now I don't feel alone plugging mine into my tube amp.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 27
Hi guys I'm a totally noob here.

Really enjoyed that review, I've had my KSC75's for a while now and although I'm not quite there yet in terms of my listening skills, I am quite pleased with the SQ (severe lack of bass). However, there are some minor (or not so for me) issues that really bother me.

First, I would really advise against getting the KSC75 if you wear glasses on a day to day basis, I could never get them to sit right on my ears and the majority of the time ALOT of sound leaks, drastically decreasing the SQ. They also fall off very often so they sit quite uncomfortably. I have to say this is my fault though, for not quite thinking it through when I was purchasing a pair of clip-ons so can't really blame KOSS.

Second though, I know this has been mentioned so far but I really like to stress this, the clips come off A LOT. I dunno if its a bad case with the quality of my pair but almost EVERYTIME i put it in my bag and take it out it falls off. This really kills the whole point of them being portable because it just creates more hassle trying to find the clips in the long run.

That being said I still quite like them, and would recommend them for the price.

PS: As I mentioned above my pair of KSC75's are really not suitable for listening while traveling these days, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement? I'm kinda short on cash so something around the PX100's price range would be good. (I'm kinda not sold on the design of them as they look slightly flimsy).

I'd like something like this with a foldable design (I quite like the look of it too) not sure about the SQ though, and I personally have no idea where to buy a pair anyway since I'm in New Zealand and kinda new to internet shopping.

Any pros have some suggestions for me?
redface.gif

PPS: oh yeah I'll using them with a ipod classic 80gb, thinking of getting the fiio E5 amp just to try things out
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 27
Ah, that's a very good thing to point (wearing them with glasses).

I found that when mine were new, the plastic clip was harder to pop off, but as it happened more and more it became easier. It does make them a pain for portable use when taking them out of a bag or putting them in.

The PX100 look flimsy, but they seem quite sturdy to me. I have two pairs, and I think that'll be the next headphone I post my impressions on.

As for those headphones, they are sold in north america by audiocubes.com
Audiocubes does ship worldwide, so that's an option, but I would see if there are any stores Local to New Zealand that sell headphones like that.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed that review Towert7. Now I don't feel alone plugging mine into my tube amp.

Thank you kindly.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsvt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the matter with the volume control? I've never seen/tried the KSC75, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

It's a cheap pot. It does nothing to help the sound and serves no useful function unless you're plugging them into something without a volume control. Most people won't be doing this.

Actually, I guess if you plug them in to an amp that you can't turn down enough, the pot might come in handy. These are so easy to drive, that would include most amps IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I would really advise against getting the KSC75 if you wear glasses on a day to day basis, I could never get them to sit right on my ears and the majority of the time ALOT of sound leaks, drastically decreasing the SQ. They also fall off very often so they sit quite uncomfortably. I have to say this is my fault though, for not quite thinking it through when I was purchasing a pair of clip-ons so can't really blame KOSS.

The only problem I've had with the clips and glasses are with my Oakley sunglasses with fairly big ear pieces. The only problem then is when I try to take the glasses off. My everyday glasses are wire frame with smaller ear pieces have never caused a problem. The Oakleys are a pain with headphones that clamp hard as well. I really don't like glasses with big ear pieces.

For fit, you just need to bend the clips. I've owned 2 pair and for each it took a few hours of fiddling with them to get them right. They do sit lightly on my ears and sound better with a headband, but the only headband I've found makes them less portable.

It doesn't make that much difference to me. I only use them when I'm working around the house or yard. They're my headphones that I use in situations when they may get abused. I never reach for them when I want to do quality listening.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 27
hmm, might just be my bad luck with a bad quality one then...I've only had mine for around half a year and the clips are so loose they've almost always fallen off when I take then out of the bag (separate pocket too, not much tangling possible really)

ah well, thanks so much for the help guys, I think I'll start a new thread since this is probably too off topic...

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Second though, I know this has been mentioned so far but I really like to stress this, the clips come off A LOT. I dunno if its a bad case with the quality of my pair but almost EVERYTIME i put it in my bag and take it out it falls off. This really kills the whole point of them being portable because it just creates more hassle trying to find the clips in the long run.

This is a very noticeable problem that my sister and I have noted with our KSC-75s, especially as they get older and pop off more and more. A quick fix that we found that helps a bit is to squish a little ball of blu-tak (or similar substance) in between the prongs on the clip unit and then squeeze it back onto the driver unit. The blu-tak (if you use just the right amount) creates a decent hold and is rather unnoticeable.

As to the issue with glasses, I guess its something that bothers some people and not others, or some people with different styles of glasses? My sister and I both wear glasses as do a good handful of people I have gifted the KSC-75 to and, while a couple have complained about it, glasses really haven't hindered any of us from enjoying them.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

hmm, might just be my bad luck with a bad quality one then...I've only had mine for around half a year and the clips are so loose they've almost always fallen off when I take then out of the bag (separate pocket too, not much tangling possible really)

ah well, thanks so much for the help guys, I think I'll start a new thread since this is probably too off topic...

Nah, it's not just you. My first pair of KSC-75's are about a year old now, but saw constant use back when I first got them. After a little while, the part where the clips attach wore down and now they fall off very easily. Not a big deal as I was able to pick up a couple pairs on clearance at radioshack - they don't see too much use these days but I do enjoy throwing them on for fun every once in a while and they make great gifts.

Anyways, good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back