Koss KSC75 cord died, replace with iphone earbud + mic?
Oct 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JUSTINDTH

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

When I was out for a run yesterday the left ear on my Koss KSC75 cut out. Right from removing the headphone from it's package many months ago I noticed the connection to the 3.5 plug was going to be a problem. I taped it for extra support, but it finally seprated and died :frowning2:.

I tried to reattach the separated wire, but it was too thin and frayed. As I was going to the garbage to throw them out, but  then an idea popped into my head. Can I use the cord from my apple Earbuds that have a built in mic and attach them to my beloved Koss KSC75? I then oppened up the drivers to have a look...

I don't have a soldering iron or solder (I was going to go buy some for this little project), but in excitement I decided to remove the iphone cable from one earbud and hold it up to one of my Koss drivers while it was connected to my iphone. I was surprised to not hear anything play from the Koss driver. Will this not work? The wire from the iphone cable is so incredibly thin. It doesn't even look or feel like wire. I't seems like silk or something.

So I'm wondering has anyone else done this? Will it not work until I solder it? Will I be able to repair my Koss's and give them a mic? Any help or reference to a thread that has done this before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Hope I'm not replying too late. So long as the wires are soldered well and wired in phase properly, there's no reason it won't work. I've found that enameled wire like what those earbuds probably have, are a bit more difficult, you probably don't hear anything because the enamel is insulating between the wire and your ksc 75, if you can solder the wires well enough, the soldering will burn off the enamel, but you'll have a pretty high chance of failure due to the enamel contaminating the solder. An alternative is to burn the enamel off with a match or lighter, then wipe off the potential "contaminates" before soldering, just be careful not to over heat the wire or burn the rubber/plastic cover on the wire. As soon as you get a good solder join, you'll be able to get those 75's working again!!! Good luck if you do end up trying this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back