Koss ksc735 really that good?
Sep 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Bigmoney

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have pair of senn hd 600 cans for my reference but am looking for a portable pair of headphones or earphones to take out with the ipod. My budget is around 50 bucks. I have heard claims that the koss phones are real giant slayers and even someone came out and said they are better than all earphones under 500. Wow, what a statement. If thats true I will definitely go with them. Are there any in ear phones or on ear phones that can compete with the 20 dollar koss phones costing less than 50 bucks? Thanks guys

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 40
Better than all cans under $500? Erm, no.
Are there any cans that can compete for less than $50? Probably not, actually. There are (arguably) better cans for above $50, but I doubt you'd be complaining about the KSC75s (I assume these as what you're referring to?). Cans like these really pull the point of diminishing returns down.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 40
Sep 22, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 40
They'll blow the marshmallows away. Marshmallows are pretty good IEMs, particularly for their cost, but they're nothing great.

Basically, my $200 Sleek SA6 are my favorite IEMs I've ever tried or owned. I can't say enough good about their sonic qualities as IEMs.

My KSC75 that I spent $14 on are nearly as good.

If you can live with their design, you won't regret what you spend on them (but you might regret what you spent on other stuff
wink.gif
).

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 40
They're good for the price but nothing more. A great introduction into head-fi and I'm sure you would be happy with them for a while, until you yearn for more.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 40
It certainly can compete with other cans around $100 (Sony V6, HD 280, etc). If you don't like boomy bass headphones or IEMs, you will like KSC75. The sound is very lively (sparkling treble and mid), total opposite of PX100 (old version). Hope that help
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're good for the price but nothing more. A great introduction into head-fi and I'm sure you would be happy with them for a while, until you yearn for more.

Aww, come on fraseyboy. I think they're more than merely "good for the price." We can get these for a little over NZ$20, and the Americans can get it for below US$20. Surely these are better than rather a lot of $50 cans, even competitive with some non-cruddy $100 ones! I'd say that's a heckuva let better than "good for the price."

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 40
The soundmagic pl-30 can be had for 20.00 and sound way better than the koss 75. Keep in mind the 20.00 pl-30 are on order be several members to see if they are fakes or not. I paid 52.00 shipped for my pl-30 and a/b them with the koss 75 and put the koss 75 away.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 40
Good luck finding the 75's anywhere except directly from Koss. I've recently ordered a pair of Yuin G2's, which look like a pimped up version of the KSC's (at least from the design perspective). If they perform beyond expections like every other yuin phone I've tried, then they may also be a good sub-$100 option.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. Have to agree with Fraseyboy here. Great for the price, but they really are not special nor remarkable except for being such an outstading value as in SQ for the $/yen/euro or whatever. Under $50 (on sale) I'll take the Yuin PK3 any day over the KSC75s. IMHO YMMV

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon US

Amazon UK

Oops, I meant 35's.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, I meant 35's.

Yup, either evil'Bay or luck on local listings, the 35's are available only for a limited time from what I was informed of, and in speaking to Koss.

Some prefer the 75's over the 35's, I am not one of those people. I vastly prefer the 35's over the 75's for their sound and ability to scale with amplification. OHM resistor works well in conjuntion with both pairs, but better results yielded from the 35's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back