Koss ESP950 Deal @ APureSound
Sep 5, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know I can still get it fixed when my yet-to-be-conceived kids are in college.

Good luck with that with any manufacturer. As nice a guy as Alex is, I wouldn't count on him repairing the stators on those ten or twenty years from now. With Koss, you have a good shot. Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but it comes with: original box, owner's manual, carry case, carry case shoulder sling E90 electrostatic amp, DC power supply, battery pack for portable use brand new extra set of pads, headphone extension cable rca to rca cable, mini to mini cable, mini to rca cable. I don't think you get all that on Amazon.

Yes, it does. That's how it comes from Koss.

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #18 of 22
I have just put a mini review of the Koss E90 amps vs the Stax SRM3 amp running the Koss 950's in the Headphone amp section.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...72#post3249972

Basically, I concluded:

"The most obvious initial difference was the wider and more stable soundstage of the Stax amp over the Koss amp. The Koss sounded like it had slightly more bass, probably about 100 Hz, but the bass was somewhat congested sounding. Deep bass seemed about the same with both and it seemed as if the treble was slightly rolled off on the Koss. The dynamics and punchiness seemed about the same with both amps, possibly the bass peak of the Koss gave it a little edge here, but at the cost of some transparency of sound."

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 22
this seems pretty cheap, compared to other modded headphones.

you would want to get a better amp than that tho'
that thing... sucks
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but not for discontinued headphones, in which case they just send you what they consider a comparable replacement. Someone with an A250 needing its earpiece joint reglued might send it in and receive a new Pro 4aat back in its place. (which reportedly happened once, even though the ESP950 joint is exactly the same as that of an A250) It's hardy a risk worth taking with a sure-to-be-discontinued dinosaur like the 950. I'd rather risk it with Alex.

They will support all products made after 1990 or a bit later when they started this program. They will run out of parts eventually but I've read so many good stories about the Koss service that they will want to help you as much as they can.

While I fear the ESP950 is nearing the end of it's life I've heard that it does sell ok due to the greed of the Stax importer in the US. Koss was forced to discount it heavily when both Sennheiser and Stax had units in the same price range but at 600$ there isn't any competition. I just hope that Koss has the sense to develop a new model when they do phase out the 950. They could then make up new ads telling everybody how they invented electrostatic headphones...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The most obvious initial difference was the wider and more stable soundstage of the Stax amp over the Koss amp. The Koss sounded like it had slightly more bass, probably about 600 Hz, but the bass was somewhat congested sounding. Deep bass seemed about the same with both and it seemed as if the treble was slightly rolled off on the Koss. The dynamics and punchiness seemed about the same with both amps, possibly the bass peak of the Koss gave it a little edge here, but at the cost of some transparency of sound."

Would you like me to play 600 hz for you? Because that is NOT bass, that is soprano >.<

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you like me to play 600 hz for you? Because that is NOT bass, that is soprano >.<

That was a typo I meant to make that about 100 Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back