Koss ESP/950, a fine electrostatic headphone
Feb 1, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I have come to doubt the correctness of the following conclusion that I posted at the begining of this thread. I stated that "When powered by the Elenco unit, the ESP/950's performance was superior to HD600's performance, even when the HD600 was driven by the high quality 300B tube amp." On further listening, I've grown a bit tired of the sound signature of this Koss headphone. While it does yield a "bigger sound" than that of the HD600, the ESP/950 doesn't resolve fine details of background string instruments as well as the HD600. Although the sound signature of the ESP/950, when powered by the Elenco unit, may on first hearing appear to be more impressive than that of the HD600, more critical listening shows that the HD600 provides finer detail resolution, and a more accurate presentation of the color and tonal differences among background string instruments. I determind this by listening to several selections of classical orchestral music. Before buying an ESP/950, carefully listen to its unique sound signature, and compare it with that of a good dynamic headphone.

How does it compare using the EA-4?

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #17 of 71
My previous statement, which was as follows, still holds: "The most dramatic improvement in the ESP/950's performance, when driven by the McAlister amp, was in the size and depth of the sound stage. Suddenly this Koss headphone provided a very large and truly three dimensional presentation."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
How does it compare using the EA-4?

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

My previous statement, which was as follows, still holds: "The most dramatic improvement in the ESP/950's performance, when driven by the McAlister amp, was in the size and depth of the sound stage. Suddenly this Koss headphone provided a very large and truly three dimensional presentation."

Yeah, I read that.

What I was wondering was, if the 950 using the elenco power supply isn't on par with the HD600+300B, how does the 950+EA-4 compare? As in, is it the limitations of the amp, or the limitations of the headphone?

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 71
The limitations that I described are due to the Koss E/90 energizer unit that comes with the ESP/950, and are not due to the headphone itself. When the ESP/950 headphone is driven by the McAlister EA-4, it sounds glorious, although not as glorious as the HE90. BTW, I posted pictures of my McAlister amp. in posting #33 at the following thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160666

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Yeah, I read that.

What I was wondering was, if the 950 using the elenco power supply isn't on par with the HD600+300B, how does the 950+EA-4 compare? As in, is it the limitations of the amp, or the limitations of the headphone?

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

The limitations that I described are due to the Koss E/90 energizer unit that comes with the ESP/950, and are not due to the headphone itself. When the ESP/950 headphone is driven by the McAlister EA-4, it sounds glorious, although not as glorious as the HE90.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Quote:

BTW, I posted pictures of my McAlister amp. in posting #33 at the following thread:

Yeah, I saw those. It looks far nicer than I was expecting it to. Not bad at all.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

The limitations that I described are due to the Koss E/90 energizer unit that comes with the ESP/950, and are not due to the headphone itself. When the ESP/950 headphone is driven by the McAlister EA-4, it sounds glorious, although not as glorious as the HE90. BTW, I posted pictures of my McAlister amp. in posting #33 at the following thread:

Glorious? As in better than the HD600 or as in better than the E/90? Another question is the ESP/950 connector on your EA-4 looks very different from the one one on my E/90. I've a oblong connector as compared to the round one on your rig. Is this a difference in models within the same model line?

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #22 of 71
Just tried something new with my ESP/950. Instead of feeding the E/90 directly from my main amps pre-out, I added a cheap tube pre in the signal path. Maybe its the better cables in the route, but even with crappy nos tubes, the soundstage is dramatically better. The background is still black and the instrument separation is dramatically better. Since I was feeding a much hotter signal to the E/90 I've cut the levels considerably on the koss. Maybe this has something to do with this. I'm still using the stock wall-wart, albeit out of a BP-1 power conditioner. The Grados are officially retired today for the rest of this winter, because I'm constantly tripping over the multitudes of headphone cables. I'd be interested in seeing what the E/90 would do when fed by MikeG's SDS as a pre-amp particularly compared to the performance of the ESP/950s on the EA-4

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 71
I apologize to the moderators and general membership of headfi about the numerous posts on this thread. I'm just trying to keep a record of my experiences with my headphone rig.

Back on topic.

I've just gone through a series of my reference tracks on the new combo and am dazzled by the performance. While this may just be the "newer is better" effect, I do have some objective findings that have startled me. Also please note: this is not an A/B comparison, merely one from sonic memory of tracks I know extremely well.

1. Mark O'Connor / In full swing:
Firstly, there is a background hum that I never heard before. It disappears on pausing the SACD, so I'm sure it is a recording artifact. The instrument separation is much better than I've heard it before. The presentation is more alive, yet relaxed. This is a miracle if you consider the source I'm using, which is arguably one of the most neutral and flat sounding players (can be viewed as a criticism in some contexts). There seems to be oodles of space around each member of the quartet. The plucking of the strings of the bass seem to much more distinct and the attack is very fast while the decay is much longer than I've previously known it to be. While these findings may be hard to reproduce on other rigs, this particular track seems to have tremendous synergy on this particular set-up as compared to what I've heard before. The horns have a more strident presence and appear more organized than I've noticed before. Even in the fastest passages, there is no smearing whatsoever and the presentation remains coherent and punchy throughout. I'm particularly happy with the lower registers which for the first time sound right to me as compared to any of my previous arrangements. This particular track has been one of my standard reference tracks that I've listened to critically before and

2. Union Station/I am a man of constant sorrow: The audience's involvement is much more palpable in this track. The voices are well spaced out and the harmonies are easily distinguished.

3. Alison Kraus - Union Station / Down to the river to pray: I've heard this a gazillion times on a gazillion rigs and for whatever reason, the construction of the initial harmony has never been as distinct. The tremolo of Alison's opening solo is much clearer than I've noted on previous occasions. The harmony when in full bloom, seems to occupy a cathedral of space rather than the sitting room I'm used to.

4. Marvin Gaye / Sexual Healing: The Midnight Love LP is an old favorite that I've been recently hearing again. The opening bassline has never sound so rich and thumpy on my grados, yet both MG's whisper and the choral notes are clear. The notes of the synth in the background are very distinct on a really black and spacious background. The decay on the tremolo electric guitar is definitely prolonged and has more space and presence. I attribute this to the much larger canvas of presentation on the currently adjusted set up.

5. Dire Straits/ Money for nothing: This is really fun now. The guitar sounds evil. I like evil. The bass is really pleasant and sounds the way I like it to. My previous compaints about the light low end on these cans is now a thing of the past. Another overriding improvement that seems to be remarkably is the more correct timbre and tonality of the entire presentation. The bass notes are really pleasant and sound like a string instrument not a drum, something Lan had pointed out to me many moons ago. These cans really can rock. My otherwise uninvolving and neutral rig is really enjoyable. Who would have known.

6. The East Village Opera / Puccini's Nessun Dorma: I just got this CD and was really impressed by the performance. And then I rearranged the circuit. Good grief! The presentation suddenly became so much more authoritative and forward. The speed of the attack is incredible as usual with the stats, but was masked previously by the muddy overall presentation. Get this incredible CD even if you think everything else I've said is c**p.

I'm very pleased overall by this set up. I'd like to see if any of the other ESP/950 owners have tried using a 6922/EL34 preamp as a feed to the E/90.

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #24 of 71
I would like to add that I've introduced the Headphile XRS as the conduit in the path between the preamp and the E/90 so some of these benefits may be cable related as well.

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 71
The McAlister amp. & ESP/950 headphone combo yields a performance that's superior to that of the HD600, as well as that of the E/90 energizer unit. As for the ESP/950 connector on the McAlister amp., it differs from the Koss connector on the E/90. Peter McAlister included this round connector in the EA-4, and modified the ESP/950 headphone cable by replacing its Koss connector with the male counterpart of the EA-4 round connector. He also fabricated a small adapter, consisting of the Koss connector (which he removed from the headphone cable) at one end. And, he attached a round male connector (i.e., the same kind as on the modified headphone cable) to the other end of this adapter. By plugging this adapter into the modified headphone cable, it remains possible to connect the ESP/950 headphone cable to its original E/90 energizer unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
Glorious? As in better than the HD600 or as in better than the E/90? Another question is the ESP/950 connector on your EA-4 looks very different from the one one on my E/90. I've a oblong connector as compared to the round one on your rig. Is this a difference in models within the same model line?

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 71
I'll try it with both the SDS, and with a Corda Aria, and report the results shortly.

Quote:

Just tried something new with my ESP/950. Instead of feeding the E/90 directly from my main amps pre-out, I added a cheap tube pre in the signal path. Maybe its the better cables in the route, but even with crappy nos tubes, the soundstage is dramatically better. The background is still black and the instrument separation is dramatically better. Since I was feeding a much hotter signal to the E/90 I've cut the levels considerably on the koss. Maybe this has something to do with this. I'm still using the stock wall-wart, albeit out of a BP-1 power conditioner. The Grados are officially retired today for the rest of this winter, because I'm constantly tripping over the multitudes of headphone cables. I'd be interested in seeing what the E/90 would do when fed by MikeG's SDS as a pre-amp particularly compared to the performance of the ESP/950s on the EA-4

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 71
FWIW, there are about 5 or 6 Koss ESP/950 threads on headfi with very detailed discussions. Maybe it would be worthwhile to consolidate them into one single mega-thread for the convenience of browsing for previous ideas etc. I wonder if this is possible?

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 71
Actually, my interest in the ESP/950 has ebbed, now that I'm more familiar with it's capabilities and limitations. I guess that combining the threads, while useful, will be up to you and/or others.

Quote:

FWIW, there are about 5 or 6 Koss ESP/950 threads on headfi with very detailed discussions. Maybe it would be worthwhile to consolidate them into one single mega-thread for the convenience of browsing for previous ideas etc. I wonder if this is possible?

Feb 4, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #29 of 71
Good point. However I am not a moderator nor have any editorial control over threads over here, so I guess the suggestion is moot. On another note, how did the SDS test go?

Feb 4, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 71
Your suggestion, for me to use the SDS as a power preamp, ahead of the E/90, yielded magical results. The character of the sound (i.e., sound signature) that the E/90 now produced through the ESP/950 headphone, changed completely. The sound was much more refined, and the sound stage increased greatly. The performance of this Koss headphone, when connected to the E/90, which was in turn connected to, and powered by, the SDS, was similar to the performance obtained by driving this headphone with the McAlister amp. Your advice to connect the E/90 in this manner saved me approx. $600. I was planning to buy an AKG 701, and to drive it with my Corda Aria. But, now I can dispense with this purchase, and I can sell the Corda Aria. In addition, I can now use the entire Koss ESP/950 system, rather than retaining it solely for occasional display at meets. As a consequence of your advice, here is how I've now connected this Koss system for my every day use. In my headphone setup that is located next to my computer, I use an ASL AQ-1005DT 300B tube amp. to drive a K1000 headphone. I now connected an ASL UHC-Signature speaker/headphone converter/transformer to this amp., and then connected the headphone outputs of this UHC-Signature device to the inputs of the E/90. While the sound stage that results from this setup is not as wide as that obtained when I connected the E/90 to the SDS, the quality and richness of the sound are wonderful. It's the kind of sound that I'm used to hearing from 300B tubes. BTW, in all of my preceding tests, I powered the E/90 with an Elenco Precision 0-30 volt variable power supply (costing approx. $75), and not with the wall wart that was provided by Koss with the headphone.

Quote:

Good point. However I am not a moderator nor have any editorial control over threads over here, so I guess the suggestion is moot. On another note, how did the SDS test go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back