Koss ESP/950, a fine electrostatic headphone
Jun 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have come to doubt the correctness of the following conclusion that I posted at the begining of this thread. I stated that "When powered by the Elenco unit, the ESP/950's performance was superior to HD600's performance, even when the HD600 was driven by the high quality 300B tube amp." On further listening, I've grown a bit tired of the sound signature of this Koss headphone. While it does yield a "bigger sound" than that of the HD600, the ESP/950 doesn't resolve fine details of background string instruments as well as the HD600. Although the sound signature of the ESP/950, when powered by the Elenco unit, may on first hearing appear to be more impressive than that of the HD600, more critical listening shows that the HD600 provides finer detail resolution, and a more accurate presentation of the color and tonal differences among background string instruments. I determind this by listening to several selections of classical orchestral music. Before buying an ESP/950, carefully listen to its unique sound signature, and compare it with that of a good dynamic headphone.

I bought the elenco XP 603 after reading this post but after spending way over $100 I cannot hearthe slightest improvement. Did Koss change their power supply ? I bought mine a month ago in May of 2008

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by TungFree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the elenco XP 603 after reading this post but after spending way over $100 I cannot hearthe slightest improvement. Did Koss change their power supply ? I bought mine a month ago in May of 2008

What is your source? Is it preamped or no? A source improvement could amount to a much more audible upgrade than the power supply, and in any case the Elenco is overkill for what the Koss box can handle. Still, an improved source might be enough to let you hear the difference between power supplies.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #48 of 71
Hey guys I just finished my kgss for my esp-950 and I am loving it. The esp-950s have a much more full sound with great detail retrieval. The music sounds effortless and there is more impact to the sound. A worthy upgrade for ~$650.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #50 of 71
Right now I am casing my KGSS. I will get back to you on that next week.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #53 of 71
Sorry I was not able to case the KGSS yet. I will let you know when I do.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #55 of 71
I know this thread is mostly close but if anybody can awnser... what cheapest best setup you would choose for ESP-950 in 2011 that is :) ... any recommended diy amp... pigtail?, ksgg diy, preamp in E90???

I wish to have a good setup for like 1000$ with koss, also i wonder how T1 would compare to koss esp-950 well amped... I need something like a lighter LCD2 rev2 :),

so im hesitating between T50RP Thunderpants, Koss Esp-950 well amped, T1 well amped (tube), T70, even inear Westone ES5? mostly those so if anybody can guide me :) please

of course best price possible.. Or if you have others that might beat them :)

LCD2 rev2 would be my choice since im listening and producing electronic music but im afraid 500g is too much and i cant demo it here in montreal canada.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #56 of 71
how would the Koss E/90 amp would really come out in fair Blind testing? - it does "fail" on cheap plastic box construction, tiny knob concentric volume pot, using op amps and switching ps - so "audiophile" sighted opinion will be heavily biased by preconceptions - not all of them are necessarily right

volume pot quality is irrelevant if you have a really good volume controlled source - just set the amp to max and the pot is practically "out of the circuit"

I wonder how the E/90 would fare if it were put in a 20 lb Al box, a DACT or other "audiophile approved" volume pot, "jewelry" connectors, added? - earlier comments suggest DC power supply improvements were helpful too

given the overwhelming importance of the headphones to "the sound" thru frequency response, distortion, fit and the much lesser importance of amp "quality" it could be that the ESP/950, E/90 system still is "competitive" even if the E/90 isn't "top tier" - and you can add a "quality" amp later

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #57 of 71

Quote:
I know this thread is mostly close but if anybody can awnser... what cheapest best setup you would choose for ESP-950 in 2011 that is :) ... any recommended diy amp... pigtail?, ksgg diy, preamp in E90???

I wish to have a good setup for like 1000$ with koss, also i wonder how T1 would compare to koss esp-950 well amped... I need something like a lighter LCD2 rev2 :),

so im hesitating between T50RP Thunderpants, Koss Esp-950 well amped, T1 well amped (tube), T70, even inear Westone ES5? mostly those so if anybody can guide me :) please

of course best price possible.. Or if you have others that might beat them :)

LCD2 rev2 would be my choice since im listening and producing electronic music but im afraid 500g is too much and i cant demo it here in montreal canada.

it takes quite a bit of fire power to "well amp" the 950. The SRM-1/MK2 should have the juice to do that, but they are not a very good match: 950 is a bit closed in, so is the SRM1/MK2.

I can't think of a mid-level amp more powerful than the SRM1MK2.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #60 of 71
Jigawatts....?

Must be somewhere on the large side of yottawatts.

Some say - it is yottawatts squared.

Others say - it is yottawatts factorial.

All we know is - it makes supernovas look like a baby's birthday candle.

(with insincere apologies to the Stig (rev1 and rev2)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back