KOSS A250 from KOSS eBay thread
Aug 22, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #602 of 701
My friend has some V6's, and I have the A250s, so I'll give you an attempt at a comparo:

The bass in the A250s is ALOT deeper, I mean they arnt bass cans, but they deff go down low and the sonys really lack in that dept. There is alittle sparkle uptop on the Ss that the 250s lack, I consider this a good thing, some would rather the sparkle. I also like the mids on the Kosses better, but some might say they are recessed.

-greg

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #603 of 701
Thanks for the help. I made a typo in my previous message. The pa2v2 was not "too loud" while off, but rather "almost lound enough". I think that I'll see if the go-vibe is a better match and I'll probably sell my little dot 2, since I just feel like I don't need that much power for the headphones I currently have. Downsizing is always a nice proposition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman
It's likely a combination of your DAC having a high voltage output and your amp having a high gain. For a typical source and headphone I think a gain of 2-3 is plenty, but most amps seem to be in the 6-11 range.

FYI I used the A250s with my NOS dac which has about a 1.4V output and my Millet Tube Amp which has a gain of about 6, and like you, I didn't have to turn the volume up very much (8 o'clock). Maybe a headroom amp is up your ally since they have a low/high gain switch.

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #604 of 701
I have the same thing goin on. I can take my Pa2v2 and turn it off and still get some sound out, enough to hear, but not to listen to. I am using a Ipod-> line out -> Pa2v2. However, I am still looking forward to my LD2+ for the sounds signature over the up in power.
-greg

Sep 15, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #605 of 701
I just got the pair of A130s that I purchased on ebay a couple of days ago. Wow, these things are every bit as flimsy but comfortable as people claim them to be.
I was considering buying a PA2V2 amplifier for this and my HD201, but after my initial audition with the A130, I was left thinking that wth the bass already being as deep as it is from my sources (Laptop w/standard sound card, Dell Axim x50, Palm Lifedrive and Sony E507), would the PA2V2 drive the bass levels to complete overkill? Anybody tried this combination and have anything to say about it?

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #606 of 701
this thread should never die.... these are such remarkable cans. Theyre so fast and detailed. Personally, I'd stack them right up there with the K501, and near my RS1 as far as detail goes.

I didn't give them much chance at all when I first got them. But gradually they have managed to scale up my can-ladder... past the K240s, HD580, even past the HF1 and MS1. Theyre a great complimentary can to the RS1. The A250 does things the RS1 can not, Its got some DEEP sub-bass extension without getting too bloaty.

I took them apart and removed the thin felt cloth behind the perforated grille screen. I think it has opened up the soundstage a little... but I can't tell without a stock one to compare. Its not a night and day difference though, I think.

Garrett

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #607 of 701
This thread sold me. I'm getting the A130s for now and then will get another pair of headphones around Christmas. What amp should I get to go with them? Will the LDM+ suffice?

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #608 of 701
Guess they've sold out, huh? I got to this thread many months too late!
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #609 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I didn't give them much chance at all when I first got them. But gradually they have managed to scale up my can-ladder... past the K240s, HD580, even past the HF1 and MS1. Theyre a great complimentary can to the RS1. The A250 does things the RS1 can not, Its got some DEEP sub-bass extension without getting too bloaty.

Wow Kramer you really dig these. I really get the sense that you like a brighter top end. Just like you love your bowls and Grado's, you love these. I on the other hand must be very sensitive to the upper register, considering I can't listen to Grado's with bowls because I find them insanely harsh/fatiguing. Similarly I found the A/250 fatiguing on most of my music, though for some reason the brightness made movie watching great. Those were pretty comfy cans considering their cups didn't rotate.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #610 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Wow Kramer you really dig these. I really get the sense that you like a brighter top end. Just like you love your bowls and Grado's, you love these. I on the other hand must be very sensitive to the upper register, considering I can't listen to Grado's with bowls because I find them insanely harsh/fatiguing. Similarly I found the A/250 fatiguing on most of my music, though for some reason the brightness made movie watching great. Those were pretty comfy cans considering their cups didn't rotate.

Like my Grados/bowl pads... I only like them with warm tube amplification. My buffered solid state amps (pimeta, mint) are just too harsh and shouty with all of them. My unbuffered amps (gmoy and govibe II) are much better than the buffered amps IMHO. If all I had were my pimeta I would probably sell them all and stick with my HD580.

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #611 of 701
After seeing this thread re surface I grabbed my A250s andswitched from theK501s. Im glad that I did. Today my ears are feelin good and the brightness that can be over done at times is just perfict. However, I will be the first to tell you taht sometimes the A250s kill my ears with the highs.
-greg

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #612 of 701
Just purchased the A130's there are about 26 left on the ebay store right now.

pink

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #613 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
After seeing this thread re surface I grabbed my A250s andswitched from theK501s. Im glad that I did. Today my ears are feelin good and the brightness that can be over done at times is just perfict. However, I will be the first to tell you taht sometimes the A250s kill my ears with the highs.
-greg

even with the LD2+ ?

I guess the LD2+ is a brighter sounding amp than my earmax.

Also.... IMHO the A250 is more like a complemantary can, compliments my RS1, and I know filburt sees his koss as a compliment to his K701. So.. .yours is a compliment to the K501 I guess.
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #614 of 701
Let me chime in again and may this thread never die
biggrin.gif

The A250's are great rock and electrica phones. With very very fast attack and the tightest bass I have heard so far. The shortcomings are wierd coloration on acoustic instruments and sometimes the grating highs. But they are indeed great complementary phones!

btw, Kramer, can you tell us how your mod has changed the sound, and is the mod reversible? I might wanna try that out.

Sep 16, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #615 of 701
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
Let me chime in again and may this thread never dies
biggrin.gif

The A250's are great rock and electrica phones. With very very fast attack and the tightest bass I have heard so far. The shortcomings are wierd coloration on acoustic instruments and sometimes the grating highs. But they are indeed great complementary phones!

btw, Kramer, can you tell us how your mod has changed the sound, and is the mod reversible? I might wanna try that out.

Yes it is reversible. you have to take the 4 screws off and the earcups fall apart. Theres a thin black fabric cloth that covers the perforated grille. gently pull that out and re-assemble.

I'm guessing the cloth is there for cosmetics, to cover the back side of the driver and wires. In theory removal should open up the soundstage more. I dont have a stock one to A/B compare though, so I cant tell if theres a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back