Koss 75's
Nov 10, 2008 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
Quick question. Both of the ear clips popped off, my 2 yr old. And I can't find any indication of Right and Left on the drivers? How can you tell which on is which?

TIA
James

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 22
using the balance knob on a amp
or start a game and trow a nade and hear where it fals^^

does it matter that much with music if the sides are switched anayway?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm not sure it matters all that much, actually. For most people, there's lateralization of auditory processing such that one hemisphere of the brain processes speech sounds and the other processes non-speech sounds (e.g., music). However, the neural pathways from the ear to relevant parts of the brain are both contra- and ipsi-lateral. That is, there are connexions from each ear to each hemisphere. This is unlike vision.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 22
What jonathanjong said! Some people can tell (not me) which is which, but for the most part, I don't think you'd notice much if you happened to switch them around. Or do what a previous poster mentioned and plug them into a stereo with a balance knob-that'll tell you right away!

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on! the poverty rules the word and your concern is your left and right ear???????my god!!!

And with a similar argument: Poverty rules the word [sic] and you're online surfing about headphones? Indeed.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 22
I can't believe the responses you guys have given me. I'm at work and don't have balance on my sansa clip, which is all I have with me at the moment. I'll do this this evening at home.

Right and left don't matter? Are you serious? I'm really hoping you were kidding. If not you need to do a bit of reading about stereo with regards to imaging, sound stage, etc.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 22
James, if you have the 75's with the volume control (sold at Radio Shack), the right driver's cord is on the same side as the volume knob. (Well, at least on mine it is.) Otherwise, I think you might need to wait until you can find something with a balance knob. I can't see any different on mine.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right and left don't matter? Are you serious? I'm really hoping you were kidding. If not you need to do a bit of reading about stereo with regards to imaging, sound stage, etc.

Why would switching the sides compromise soundstage? Sure sure, the drums might sound like they come from the right side now, instead of the left...but why does that matter?

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe the responses you guys have given me. I'm at work and don't have balance on my sansa clip, which is all I have with me at the moment. I'll do this this evening at home.

I know about imaging and sound stage but at the same time, you won't lose any data if you have the wrong channel on the wrong ear. Besides, just pop the clips back on and listen to some of the tracks that you are more familiar with. If they sound a bit wonkier to you, then pop the clips off and switch the ear pieces around. I've done it a couple of times with KSC 35 drivers and I haven't really noted any major problem with a different ear-piece on a different ear.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 22
This topic is funny for me because earlier today I modded one of my pairs of 75's and I forgot to mark the L & R before taking them apart. DO'H. I listened for a couple hours and they sounded fine. 50/50 chance right...I left them at work so tomorrow I'll test them.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 22
^^^

Please do post the results on that when you get them. I've done that several times with a sets of KSC 75 and KSC 35 drivers, and I haven't yet noticed anything different.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What jonathanjong said! Some people can tell (not me) which is which, but for the most part, I don't think you'd notice much if you happened to switch them around. Or do what a previous poster mentioned and plug them into a stereo with a balance knob-that'll tell you right away!

A lot of my music I can in fact tell. Mostly live recordings though, not studio......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back