Koss 75's
Nov 11, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on! the poverty rules the word and your concern is your left and right ear???????my god!!!

come on!! You come to a headphone forum and make that statement? my god!!!!!!

Maybe instead of making useless comments that do not help anyone(probably in the name of inflating post count) you could go volunteer somewhere and make a difference. Or find something else constructive.

And on the subject of left and right, it kinda does matter. If I put earphones on in the dark(without checking for L/R) I can immediately tell something's wrong, especially with a familiar song.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on!! You come to a headphone forum and make that statement? my god!!!!!!

Maybe instead of making useless comments that do not help anyone(probably in the name of inflating post count) you could go volunteer somewhere and make a difference. Or find something else constructive.

And on the subject of left and right, it kinda does matter. If I put earphones on in the dark(without checking for L/R) I can immediately tell something's wrong, especially with a familiar song.

But that's kind of what I'm getting at. With songs that I am very familiar with and headphones that I have used for a while, I can tell if I have the wrong piece on the wrong ear, but with songs I haven't listened to very often, I can't tell if the guitar is supposed to be in the left ear or the right ear, but I can still hear the guitar. My room-mate was never able to tell the difference and nor are my sister or good friends. As far as they are concerned, it really wouldn't matter whether the headphones are one correctly or backwards. I'd disagree when it comes to higher end headphones where more likely than not, you'd want to make certain you put the correct driver on the correct side, but come on-the KSC 75 is a $25 phone. I really think that more likely than not, you'd probably not notice the difference if they did get reversed, and if you actually did, it isn't hard to rectify it with them.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #19 of 22
I've read that the left ear tends to hear music better, while the right hears voice better. In my experience, this seems to be true, but extremely subtle.

I don't know if many recordings take this into account or not, but for any that do, right and left driver placement would be crucial to full enjoyment

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, very good. We can sometimes tell the difference. But is it worse?

Personally, I wouldn't think so.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the left ear tends to hear music better, while the right hears voice better. In my experience, this seems to be true, but extremely subtle.

I don't know if many recordings take this into account or not, but for any that do, right and left driver placement would be crucial to full enjoyment

I've addressed this earlier. For most people, speech processing is a left hemisphere function and music processing is a right hemisphere function. However, unlike vision, information that goes into the left ear does not totally cross over to the right hemisphere. There are ipsilateral connexions as well as contralateral connexions. The contralateral connexions are stronger, so perhaps the left ear/right brain is slightly better at music processing, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference.

And again, we might find a song less enjoyable after switching sides because we've habituated to the song with the drums on the left (say), and now they're on the right. Familiarity happens to be a good predictor of liking, see. But if we started of listening to the music on the "wrong" side, I think we'll habituate to that and won't enjoy the "correct" side as at first blush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back