Korg MOBILE 1BIT USB-DAC DS-DAC-100m
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

dsrjohn

Head-Fier
Does anyone know anything about this DAC/headphone amp? I was considering getting the Meridian Explorer but this DAC seems to also play much higher resolution files? Is that just over kill? I can't find much info on it - most of it is in Japanese...

http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Manual/DS-DAC-100m_OM_EFGSCJ1.pdf

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 44
Does anyone know anything about this DAC/headphone amp? I was considering getting the Meridian Explorer but this DAC seems to also play much higher resolution files? Is that just over kill? I can't find much info on it - most of it is in Japanese...

http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Manual/DS-DAC-100m_OM_EFGSCJ1.pdf

Only you can decide if you 'need' support for DSD and super high resolution PCM streams. There are other options out there, though (with more information available), such as the Resonessence Herus.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 44
...ever try a blind test between HD and 320 mp3?
tongue_smile.gif

just asking, that's all.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 44
Hello,

Yes, I've been working with the DAC-100m since CES. Actually I should amend that. I've had the hardware since CES, but the drivers arrived later. 

It is well built, and once I managed to get the system to recognize the hardware, which required a couple of install and uninstall cycles, the unit worked fine.

I've tested it with a variety of music, as well as both version of 2 and 3 of AudioGate, and once the drivers loaded properly I could use it with other software.

I'm not done with my testing, so will report later, and will publish a full review on www.maceditionradio.com when complete.

But.. so far, it is a very good sounding system, and the test that Korg uses to demonstrate with MP3s is very interesting. Check out their video on YouTube about that.

It is an interesting design, and the ability to natively work with DSD files is fascinating, and has few peers. The build quality is very good, solid, lovely matte finish, and a firm feel to the volume controls.

I'm hoping to record my own DSDs with a Korg recorder and at the same time use a Zoom at 24/96 to compare the quality, which will undoubtably reveal different microphones, electronics, etc.. but I'm hoping to see if I can hear the "DSD" analog sound quality that so many folks claim for DSD. That coupled with the DAC-100m as the DAC and headphone amplifier should prove to be an interesting, if not too scientifically rigorous experiment. 

I think that if you are really into DSDs, then the Korg should be on your list to audition. Personally while the big brother of this unit has balanced XLR's, I know of precious few folks who actually use them. At least in my circle!

I'm really interested in other folks thoughts on this gear.

Harris

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 44
I still have my unit, but don't use it that often. The software has been updated a couple of times, and it's far more reliable now, and it also seems to work fine under Yosemite on the Mac.

One problem for me at least, is that 98 percent of my files are FLAC, and while I have some DSD files, I've had a difficult time trying to ascertain a difference. A year ago I did some A/B tests of files that Blue Coast provided, with DSD vs. PCM, and then native DSD vs PCM conversions, and for me at least, using really good headphones (Oppo PM-1, PM-2, PM-3, plus Audio-Technica and Etymotic) and earphones, the difference was a toss up. 

So, I think the Korg is a great unit, it seems to play well with other software, although I have found the need for specific drivers a bit unusual, and unlike any other DACs that I use. The Korg software is actually pretty cool, used with the Korg it unlocks a host of great features, although the interface is a bit wonky.

So, that's all for now!

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 44
I got the Korg DS-DAC 100 last week Thursday and so far I have given it about 20hrs burn in time.
I have used this DAC in balanced and unbalanced and really impressed. I tried using the Audiogate software and really didn't like it so I am now using Foobar and you can get it to play Flac and DSD as long as you have the ASIO driver.

Apparently this DAC requires approx 600hrs burn in time according to some users.

So a run down of equipment used:

Laptop with Foobar
Valve Audio Exclame 100 (Valve integrated amp) for unbalanced with Wireworld RCA
B&W 703

Also used Lexicon CX-7 (THX certified 7 channel power amp) with Audioquest King Cobra balanced cables using Foobar as volume control. My preamp is in for repairs.

I really enjoyed the sound of the DS-DAC100 the sound is crisp and clear. The detail and instrument separation is excellent and the soundstage is dead Centre.
Now a couple of months ago I purchased the Nuprime DAC-9 and that is an extremely good DAC, a little bit too bass heavy for my liking. When I compared the 2 I found the Korg to be more revealing than the Nuprime, I played Nils Lofgren - Keith don't go on both Dacs and the Korg just had so much more crisp detail on the guitar solo in the middle of the song.
Angus and Julia Stone - Draw your sword, the vocals are spot on, very clear. Instrument separation is excellent.

The bass definitely not tight and precise but maybe with more burn it n time that will get better.

I am really shocked that a USB powered DAC can trump a DAC with its own power supply. Going to lookout for a power supply like the ifi iusb power and see if it will improve it further.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 44
My drivers REFUSE to install.
I've tried through the setup software, won't install, gives me a timer.
I've tried manually, windows doesn't recognise it.

Now in event viewer I get this.....

To top it off, KORG won't answer my requests for help.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 44
I still have my Korg DS-DAC 100(the bigger spaceship one), use it everyday with my Win 10 pc, it is the most hassle free audiophile/pro sound card I have ever had, no drivers issues/crashes or hum/groundloops/crackles etc, plays well with all software and really great sound. The thing that really seals the deal is the nice big volume knob, nothing worse than a overly loud section or track/someone asks a question etc -  trying to change the volume hunting with the mouse/trying to find the right window etc to adjust it etc, with the Korg I just need to reach out and grab the knob and adjust, bliss.

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #15 of 44
I just ordered one of these...I just hope the headphone output is okay. Went from a HRT headstreamer with digital volume to a fiio e10K..And i do like what the E10K does for the price, the volume pot is a problem. Channel imbalance and its getting static so..The Korg is obviously a higher end dac/amp and i got a really good deal on it so il keep my fingers crossed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back