Kojima's Death Stranding
May 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #16 of 18
He probably wanted to try making a different sort of game after having to be stuck with one franchise for so long, and getting that breath of fresh air. Although I must admit, Death Stranding is a bit too artsy fartsy for me.
For my taste, too different. Although I understand artists love creative freedom and they can go nuts over it to the point of too unique for the audience to be interestes. Kojima went too far here.

Maybe the mature Kojima is unlike the young Kojima from yesterdays.

Sometimes there are Japanese cultural stuff outside cannot identify with, and I wonder if it's at least partly the case here. I just find the ideas downright silly. I can identify much better with Solid-Snakes story.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 18
For my taste, too different. Although I understand artists love creative freedom and they can go nuts over it to the point of too unique for the audience to be interestes. Kojima went too far here.

Maybe the mature Kojima is unlike the young Kojima from yesterdays.

Sometimes there are Japanese cultural stuff outside cannot identify with, and I wonder if it's at least partly the case here. I just find the ideas downright silly. I can identify much better with Solid-Snakes story.

I don't think it was targeted at the MGS audience. Yes he tested his creative freedom but it also feels like an experiment. I dont think I can ever accurately describe what I felt playing this game and finishing it other than that after I was done with it I was kind of lost. I had no desire playing any of the literal dozens of backlogged games I still have. I've been playing games on every which platform since there was such a thing. Admittedly I'm biased towards games with a good story without being to analytical on the complexity of its gameplay. I hate repetitive games and mundane fetch quests but there is something about that whole thing being the point without overstaying its welcome that made it fascinating. I not wanted to progress thru the story but I also wanted to take my time getting there, enjoying when I made path functional for myself as well as for others, seeing the world and for once I actually read the lore getting a kick out of the many carefully chosen moments of music that fit the moments so well (excellent choice with Low Roar as primary choice for that). And those musical moments were generally not even the story moments.

I can ramble on for ages but fact still is that even if it surpassed my last number 1 with a huge gap in between, for the first time I dont think I'll be playing this again anytime soon. I dont know if I will ever experience this again, as the emptiness you feel when you finish a game is exactly the point here and something you need to feel to complete the experience.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 18
This game has some of the most confusing menus and interface designs, Japanese devs never make it easy don't they. I gotta say, the gameplay loop is getting boring for me now after 5 hours, it's just not exciting to deliver utterly random crap to utterly random peeps just for Likes. I hope the game picks up fast and wow me some more like the first hour did. If it's not for the novelty of super photorealistic graphics and sci-fi settings I would drop this like a stone. The gameplay design is just..not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back