Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #63,721 of 63,917
10 mm DD will might make a big difference 8 mm DD in the perceived bass.
For me ZAT lacks note weight, so if another driver would be able to solve this problem its a win

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #63,722 of 63,917
If jennyKZ is posting in here, that increases the liklihood they are reading and digesting our discussions.
Well i saw someone asking something about as16pro x and there was no response iirc

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #63,725 of 63,917
ZS10Pro is a legend in Chifi
ZS10Pro X is very favorably reviewed, tough it was an old 1 Main DD + 4 flavouring BA tuning. (KZ's last unit with such tuning i think, the rest went on proper crossover)
This was the most disappointing aspect for me regarding the ZS10 pro X, ended up taking them apart and experimenting with the cross over circuit to confirm that their tuning circuit consists of:
-raw connection to the main DD (plays entire frequency)
-basic RC series high-pass filter connected with all BAs in series (effectively plays the med-high frequencies but at about 15% volume of the main DD)

However I did experiment with KZ's other controversial iems of the past and to see if they have corrected them in late 2023 revisions (DQ6S and ZEX pro)

KZ X HBB DQ6S:
-Issue: Originally had controversy due to glue blocked tweeter driver sound port and reverse phase connected tweeters.

-Mid 2023 revision version check:
The tweeters sound portis no longer blocked and and they are correctly correctly in phase
Result: tweeters output about 10-20% of the volume that the main DD does (tweeters essentially act as "flavorings" to the main DD sound)

KZ ZEX Pro (x CRN):
-issue: controversy of M-stat driver and BA being decorative or even acting as a reducer to the main DD

Both M-stat and BA produce sound when the main DD is removed and replaced with an equivalent resistor, similar RC high-pass filter to BA and M-stat as the other 3 iems tested, essentially acting as mid-high frequency "flavorings' with 10% volume output of the main DD

Here's to hoping their new multi driver IEMs have actual ideal crossover design of bass driver, med driver/tweeter division.

I also have the Castor which includes their new cross over design so perhaps these are properly implemented, will report back after testing.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #63,726 of 63,917
This was the most disappointing aspect for me regarding the ZS10 pro X, ended up taking them apart and experimenting with the cross over circuit to confirm that their tuning circuit consists of:
-raw connection to the main DD (plays entire frequency)
-basic RC series high-pass filter connected with all BAs in series (effectively plays the med-high frequencies but at about 15% volume of the main DD)

However I did experiment with KZ's other controversial iems of the past and to see if they have corrected them in late 2023 revisions (DQ6S and ZEX pro)

KZ X HBB DQ6S:
-Issue: Originally had controversy due to glue blocked tweeter driver sound port and reverse phase connected tweeters.

The tweeters sound portis no longer blocked and and they are correctly correctly in phase
Result: tweeters output about 10-20% of the volume that the main DD does (tweeters essentially act as "flavorings" to the main DD sound)

KZ ZEX Pro (x CRN):
-issue: controversy of M-stat driver and BA being decorative or even acting as a reducer to the main DD

Both M-stat and BA produce sound when the main DD is removed and replaced with an equivalent resistor, similar RC high-pass filter to BA and M-stat as the other 3 iems tested, essentially acting as mid-high frequency "flavorings' with 10$ volume output of the main DD

Here's to hoping their new multi driver IEMs have actual ideal crossover design of bass driver, med driver/tweeter division.

I also have the Castor which includes their new cross over design so perhaps these are properly implemented, will report back after testing.

people keep saying that ZEX Pro other driver is not functional
and i was like, IF KZ manage to get that level of separation and layering with a single DD that would one HELL of a DD.
---
i remember it was great for "small" stage like these

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #63,727 of 63,917
people keep saying that ZEX Pro other driver is not functional
and i was like, IF KZ manage to get that level of separation and layering with a single DD that would one HELL of a DD.
ZEX Pro was a turning point for KZ imo. For better or for worse, it’s what got them to seriously tune by the curve imo. If I recall Crin got them to change their measuring rigs, stating at the time they were dated. For what they did with the ZEX Pro, I commend them; I like the treble on these more than my TE Zero and Salnotes Zero - less metallic.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #63,728 of 63,917
ZEX Pro was a turning point for KZ imo. For better or for worse, it’s what got them to seriously tune by the curve imo. If I recall Crin got them to change their measuring rigs, stating at the time they were dated. For what they did with the ZEX Pro, I commend them; I like the treble on these more than my TE Zero and Salnotes Zero - less metallic.
Crin basically told them "you could sell good tuning."
and even experiment by letting KZ release the FR graph without Crin name on it.
it does generate some hype back then and only after it got popular Crin stepped in and shows that it was his collab items.

If it wasn't for the splashy metallic BA choices, something that Crin admit that another type BA (forgot which number), it would fare much better.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #63,729 of 63,917
From time to time, I ask myself if I’m listening to the controversy or listening to subjective good sound of the ZEX Pro :p

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #63,730 of 63,917
On the topic ZEX Pro/KZ x CRN, I had some good results with CCA FLA ear tips recently as opposed to my previous recommendation of using triple flange ear tips (which I gave up on because of the discomfort)

MiniDSP EARS measurement:

KZ x CRN with CCA FLA Eartips.jpg
IMG_0023.jpeg

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #63,731 of 63,917
If it wasn't for the splashy metallic BA choices, something that Crin admit that another type BA (forgot which number), it would fare much better.
Hmm, this seems to contradict my findings though, as the BA and M-stat only plays at about 10% volume (with the upper frequencies being more pronounced) compared to the main DD, meaning it would be very difficult to isolate the "BA timbre" from the overall sound.

Or perhaps this 10% volume contribution "flavouring" is enough for some listeners to isolate the BA and M-stat signature from the overall sound (those 2 do sound tinny and "splashy"? Once electrically isolated and no DD playing)

I can post sound clip differences between: Full config, DD only, and supporting drivers only (I.e BAs, m-stats, smaller dd tweeters) of the iems I've tested and mentioned before if anyone is interested.

It was done rather rudimentary by sealing the IEM on to a cheap mic but it had enough fidelity to do the trick.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #63,732 of 63,917
Hmm, this seems to contradict my findings though, as the BA and M-stat only plays at about 10% volume (with the upper frequencies being more pronounced) compared to the main DD, meaning it would be very difficult to isolate the "BA timbre" from the overall sound.

Or perhaps this 10% volume contribution "flavouring" is enough for some listeners to isolate the BA and M-stat signature from the overall sound (those 2 do sound tinny and "splashy"? Once electrically isolated and no DD playing)

I can post sound clip differences between: Full config, DD only, and supporting drivers only (I.e BAs, m-stats, smaller dd tweeters) of the iems I've tested and mentioned before if anyone is interested.

It was done rather rudimentary by sealing the IEM on to a cheap mic but it had enough fidelity to do the trick.
Maybe you can initially upload the sound clips without labelling which is which (Single DD and Full Config). It would be nice to see if anyone can tell a difference. I’d like to think I can hear 10% volume of BA and M-stat, but I won’t delude myself - my hearing isn’t the greatest.

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #63,733 of 63,917
Vocals on the CCA Trio are brilliant. This is perfect (Xduoo X20 >Black Cat):

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #63,734 of 63,917
Bought the KZ Castor to try since they were only 10 bucks. Surprisingly good! I thought they would make a great set for someone to dip their toes into audio, I gifted them to a friend and it turns out most people don't have the necessary things to even use regular IEMs?! No 3.5mm jack in phones and nothing else to plug them into lol. I'm going to have to give them my Moondrop littleblack BT cable.

Had no use for them myself since I already have decent over-ears and TWS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back