Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #63,526 of 63,917
CCA Trio have arrived.

First impression are positive. For me it's a better set than the Rhapsody, I find it easier to listen to (the fit of the shells is also better). In the end, what I didn't like most about the Rhapsody was the bass, and that's what prevailed over selling them.
The Trio are no different from the sound quality of the Truthear Nova at first glance. The Nova sounds a little cleaner, but also a little leaner. The Trio's tones are a bit hazy. It's possible that here the nature of the transducers is somewhat imposing.

I found that the Nova and Trio (1010 setting) sound very similar when both are using 7Hz long nozzle, small bore ear tips. I like the laidback treble and tonality of the Nova, and the midrange clarity and imaging of the Trio (1010 setting). I find both a good complement to each other - I use both a work atm.

CCA Trio with 7Hz Long Nozzle, Small Bore Tips (Orange),  Truthear Nova with KZ Starline Tips ...jpg

IMG_9948.jpeg

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #63,527 of 63,917
I found that the Nova and Trio (1010 setting) sound very similar when both are using 7Hz long nozzle, small bore ear tips. I like the laidback treble and tonality of the Nova, and the midrange clarity and imaging of the Trio (1010 setting). I find both a good complement to each other - I use both a work atm.

CCA Trio with 7Hz Long Nozzle, Small Bore Tips (Orange),  Truthear Nova with KZ Starline Tips ...jpg

I can agree. To my ears, they may indeed complement each other (Nova and Trio).

The fr comparison with Variations is also interesting.
graph - 2024-02-17T093819.598.png

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #63,528 of 63,917
The fr comparison with Variations is also interesting.
graph - 2024-02-17T093819.598.png
Variations was my biggest dissapointment out of all purchases i made. And thats why KZ/CCA is extremely good: even if IEM is not very good - you havent paid a lot of money for it.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #63,529 of 63,917
Variations was my biggest dissapointment out of all purchases i made. And thats why KZ/CCA is extremely good: even if IEM is not very good - you havent paid a lot of money for it.
I listened to Variations only once, a year ago for a brief moment. They seemed a bit wavy to me - a lot of bass, a lot of higher midrange, relative to the Dunu EST112s with which I compared them, and I wasn't particularly bitter about having the Dunu.
But these impressions are also related to the "neuroplasticity" of hearing, so I may have changed over time.

Today, neither Nova nor Trio are like that for me. Rather, I perceive them as rather bass light.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #63,530 of 63,917
Could anyone with both the trio and rhapsody tell me how they compare size-wise?

I have the rhapsody and think they sound excellent.

The large shells are an awkward fit for my ears, though. Slightly painful even, if I wear them too long.

It's not the nozzle that's the problem. It's the shell itself -- no matter how I rotate it there's some part of my ear they poke against.

I'm hoping the trio might be a little smaller and provide a similar sound.

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #63,531 of 63,917
Could anyone with both the trio and rhapsody tell me how they compare size-wise?

I have the rhapsody and think they sound excellent.

The large shells are an awkward fit for my ears, though. Slightly painful even, if I wear them too long.

It's not the nozzle that's the problem. It's the shell itself -- no matter how I rotate it there's some part of my ear they poke against.

I'm hoping the trio might be a little smaller and provide a similar sound.
Trio is more comfortable, but not perfect. It's still quite bulky, but for sure it's better then Rhapsody. Rhapsody is awkward.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #63,533 of 63,917
And thats why KZ/CCA is extremely good: even if IEM is not very good - you havent paid a lot of money for it.
I agree! I no longer use KZs for active listening because my taste has shifted to a less V shaped preference. Though if I know that there is a risk of breaking my IEMs, I usually bring my KZs. Less heart break if I accidentally drop them and crack the shells :floatsmile:

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #63,535 of 63,917
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #63,538 of 63,917
Why install an additional speaker for bass when the bass in the planar driver itself is already good? this is the same as adding more wheels to a formula 1 car and expecting it to go faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back