Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #63,361 of 64,202
double flange tend to make iem more v-shaped trough.
Triple and double flange seem to work well with CRN/ZEX Pro imo as they are not midbass heavy to begin with, but it does make them more V shaped. I don’t recommend triple flange on the CRA+ and ZSX; the bass increase is quite overpowering.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #63,362 of 64,202
Would add the ZS10 Pro X to the like list. Punches way above it's price point.
Yeah today I listened to my ZS10 Pro X probably for the first time in a month, after using only my PR3 and Chu II for that period, and I gotta say that it really is good.
New CCA IEM with 3DD (+4 switch) config is coming

1705391419168.jpeg

no additional info yet.
currently wondering whether this uses the new gen DD that recently used in ZSN2 or uses the older "legendary" DD that is in CXS?
"High freq division" possibly means there is dedicated treble DD?
and diversified tuning could be thesaurus for adjustable tuning switches or entirely new tuning sig hence diversified from usual KZ tuning?
Diversified Tuning Diversified Tuning Legendary Diversified Tuning Legendary Legendary Diversified Tuning Diversified Tuning

I hope they don't pull a DQ6 and all 3 DDs actually do something.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #63,363 of 64,202
Today i finally spent some time with Rhapsody. Its pretty good IEM with clean sound, but i find bass being too "boomy" and because of that there is too much of bass even with all switches off. It feels bass heavier than HM20, but HM20 have better attack and i dont know, maybe HM20 bass is "faster"? I dont know how to explain it, sadly im not a reviewer. Are there anyone with same thoughts about Rhapsody?

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #63,364 of 64,202
Today i finally spent some time with Rhapsody. Its pretty good IEM with clean sound, but i find bass being too "boomy" and because of that there is too much of bass even with all switches off. It feels bass heavier than HM20, but HM20 have better attack and i dont know, maybe HM20 bass is "faster"? I dont know how to explain it, sadly im not a reviewer. Are there anyone with same thoughts about Rhapsody?
I feel that these smaller drivers of KZ can't pull a solid bass as opposed their standard 10mm ones.

PS: All Switches off is MORE BASS in Rhapsody.

1705455527627.png

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #63,366 of 64,202
PS: All Switches off is MORE BASS in Rhapsody.
yea, I remember reading one of the switch is to pull in the bass tuck.
Oh, silly me. I though that switches are only to add bass or add mid/high, as it says on paper from the box. And i was ok with mid/high frequencies, so i didnt tried to turn them on. Thank you very much.
0110 is much more ok. 0011 is shouty little bit.

Also isnt HM20 equipped with small dynamic driver? Cant find exact size for some reason, but maybe its 7mm(just because its called XUN-7)?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #63,367 of 64,202
Oh, silly me. I though that switches are only to add bass or add mid/high, as it says on paper from the box. And i was ok with mid/high frequencies, so i didnt tried to turn them on. Thank you very much.

Also isnt HM20 equipped with small dynamic driver? Cant find exact size for some reason, but maybe its 7mm(just because its called XUN-7)?
yeah, its 7mm Xun7 DD that shortly got overshadowed by its younger sibling the 10mm "Legendary" DD in CXS (that L-DD later appear in 3 other sidegrade)
Linlong also uses 6~7mm DD that is greatly tuned. it lacked in resolution but is super nice to listen to.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #63,368 of 64,202

if I remember correctly 1111 is most optimal setting that you get full subbass boost with the least mid bass bleed and ultra treble.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #63,369 of 64,202

What's your opinion after using the switches?

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #63,371 of 64,202
What's your opinion after using the switches?
Its a good IEM. 1111 and 0110 are almost identical to my ear and way better than 0000. Its still pretty bassy, but less boomy. But HM20 is better in terms of bass in my opinion, but there is more treble in HM20 than i like so after using switches Rhapsody is better, than HM20 and way better than KZ ZAT, which is very thin and have some problems with pressure buildup for me.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #63,372 of 64,202
Its a good IEM. 1111 and 0110 are almost identical to my ear and way better than 0000. Its still pretty bassy, but less boomy. But HM20 is better in terms of bass in my opinion, but there is more treble in HM20 than i like so after using switches Rhapsody is better, than HM20 and way better than KZ ZAT, which is very thin and have some problems with pressure buildup for me.
I think you can do eartip rolling to reduce the bass a bit further. Springtip is a good start. Or any widebore tip will do the trick.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #63,373 of 64,202
I think you can do eartip rolling to reduce the bass a bit further. Springtip is a good start. Or any widebore tip will do the trick.
Yes, im using spring tips and also tried sednaearfit light short and sednaearfit short

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #63,374 of 64,202
It's a good one with nice timbre and average technicalities. From what I understand, it's a trade off while using DD for mids. BAs will give thin and transparent sound with BA timbre. I'm quoting @shez. 's review of penon fan2.
"Their dynamic range of BA drives is shorter than I usually prefer. I believe that to fix the BA harmonic overtone pitch problem, they shaved the BA higher pitches and increased loudness, similar to how dynamic normalizer work. This led to dynamic range shortness, which feels especially on vocals. Despite that vocal has good details, they lack an emotion that gives an excellent dynamic range."
So there's always some caveat in the budget category.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #63,375 of 64,202
From what I understand, it's a trade off while using DD for mids
I think at a high level, the tradeoffs are much simpler than that:
  • More drivers = higher cost. Why? Because of more drivers, a filter, a more complex housing…
  • More drivers = more flexibility, (easier?) to hit a defined target frequency response. Why? Because of more “knobs” to play with.
  • DD driver = easier to get (good) bass.
  • BA driver = easier to get (good) highs.
Then there are all the SQ tradeoffs and manufacturer know-how: single DD IEMs can be excellent, hybrid IEMs can be equally good. Single BA… well those are tough and generally suffer in the bass area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back