Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #63,272 of 64,207
Just unboxed my PR3, my first impressions are positive, I certainly love their look. As for the sound, I started using them with the foam tips, I was worried about the treble all this time, but fortunately turns out it's just fine for me, there's a lot of details in these highs and also there's way more bass than I expected. Of course gotta listen a bit longer, also got to try the included silicone tips, although I'm expecting the highs to indeed be a bit much with those.

They're certainly more power hungry than your regular IEMs, I use them with a CX31993 dongle and I need about 15-20% more volume to get about the same perceived level as my ZS10 Pro X, but that's still within what a regular output like a phone or laptop should easily handle.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #63,273 of 64,207
Separation=rhapsody. For a first time user of hybrid, I can't stop listening to how well defined the instruments are in their position. Even PR2 /PR3 can't do such a beautiful separation.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #63,274 of 64,207

Just watched PR3 reviews w. Graphs from Akros. I found this video informative and rec his channel!

He mentioned the similarities to Moondrop Stellaris. So I knew immediately that's not for me, Stellaris was a very 'thin' sounding IEMs to me. Again who knows if that tuning could be your thing, and I can't be too harsh on a sub $30 planar. BUT you do have plenty options if spend a bit more.

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #63,275 of 64,207
So, I have received CCA Rhapsody ("pre-order" that shipped right away).
This thing is massive, but surprisingly with good tips fits well. Sound is top notch, tonality and amount of bass is just like Castor but more detailed.
Shell is kind of transparrent, but really tinted, more so than PR2 or Castor. Still can see tubes leading from DD and BA into the nozzle.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #63,276 of 64,207
That's not really any news, but the nozzle mesh is really just a somewhat but not extremely dense protective metal mesh, without any extra dampening material (can see straight through it to the driver's magnets), aside from what seems to be most likely a wide band of glue, wider than the darker nozzle contact area itself. Although I guess reducing the output diameter like that may by itself serve some acoustic purpose, who knows, but if not, it's probably not a custom part made for PR3 itself.

According to my similarly chinese caliper, the mesh appears to be between 4.4-4.5mm in diameter, so I may experiment with some 4.5mm filter meshes from Ali. With silicone tips the highs are rather harsh after all(but still more bearable than I expected I guess), and I'm not really in favor of wearing foam tips for extended periods of time.

PR3.jpg

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #63,280 of 64,207
That's not really any news, but the nozzle mesh is really just a somewhat but not extremely dense protective metal mesh, without any extra dampening material (can see straight through it to the driver's magnets), aside from what seems to be most likely a wide band of glue, wider than the darker nozzle contact area itself. Although I guess reducing the output diameter like that may by itself serve some acoustic purpose, who knows, but if not, it's probably not a custom part made for PR3 itself.

According to my similarly chinese caliper, the mesh appears to be between 4.4-4.5mm in diameter, so I may experiment with some 4.5mm filter meshes from Ali. With silicone tips the highs are rather harsh after all(but still more bearable than I expected I guess), and I'm not really in favor of wearing foam tips for extended periods of time.

PR3.jpg
I did some experiments

- Mesh 500 helps to reduce the treble, but also reduce details or clarity.
- Use mesh 4.5 mm or the metal mesh on the nozzle's lip can widen the sound tube, but I feel the sound output is a bit shouty.
- Basically the original mesh is alright and suit with the PR3.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #63,281 of 64,207
So, I have received CCA Rhapsody ("pre-order" that shipped right away).
This thing is massive, but surprisingly with good tips fits well. Sound is top notch, tonality and amount of bass is just like Castor but more detailed.
Shell is kind of transparrent, but really tinted, more so than PR2 or Castor. Still can see tubes leading from DD and BA into the nozzle.
Sounds good with good depth. My only issue with rhapsody will be the resolution. As compared to my PR2, it has a veiled/muddled sound. Maybe another BA for lower midrange would have helped instead of DD, like that of ZS10 pro X. I just went for the proper frequency crossover and sound tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #63,282 of 64,207
Sounds good with good depth. My only issue with rhapsody will be the resolution. As compared to my PR2, it has a veiled/muddled sound. Maybe another BA for lower midrange would have helped instead of DD, like that of ZS10 pro X. I just went for the proper frequency crossover and sound tubes.
hows the resolution compared zs10pro x?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #63,283 of 64,207
I did some experiments

- Mesh 500 helps to reduce the treble, but also reduce details or clarity.
- Use mesh 4.5 mm or the metal mesh on the nozzle's lip can widen the sound tube, but I feel the sound output is a bit shouty.
- Basically the original mesh is alright and suit with the PR3.
Thanks, The ones I've ordered are actually 300 and 450 meshes, so maybe it'll work better with 300 if 500 is too much. Almost regretting I didn't go with even lower density like 200. What I need is just a slight change after all. Too bad I can't graph it out though, I'd have visualized various densities with that.
Did you remove the metal mesh, or did you put the new mesh on top of it? I was planning to just put it on top.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #63,284 of 64,207
I don't own ZS10. That was a wish for an optimal driver configuration, which itself was already suggested just few pages ago. Although I'm new to this hobby, I'm not planning to get deep into the rabbit hole. So, I'll make peace with it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #63,285 of 64,207
Thanks, The ones I've ordered are actually 300 and 450 meshes, so maybe it'll work better with 300 if 500 is too much. Almost regretting I didn't go with even lower density like 200. What I need is just a slight change after all. Too bad I can't graph it out though, I'd have visualized various densities with that.
Did you remove the metal mesh, or did you put the new mesh on top of it? I was planning to just put it on top.
I removed the original one. putting another one on top just kill the iems, too much dampening....

If you want to kill the treble, buy the sponge and stuff it to the nozzle or buy 3rd ear tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back