Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #63,016 of 63,916
during discount, its at $30 for a True Planar IEMs.
pretty sure there will be some who are willing to buy it despite for its shortcoming or people buying it to mod it later as its a "cheap" iem to experiment with

that being said, i own both PR1 Pro and PR2, so i'm gonna sit this one out till full reviews.
right now my eye is on CCA Rhapsody thanks to this comparison

Taken a blind shot and ordered the Rhapsody. Given the 10$ coupon, want to try out an hybrid. Hopefully Tonedeafmonk is right.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #63,017 of 63,916
AST will definitely be the one to shine, since this IEM was also likely designed with incorrect values of the source impedance dialed, similarly to AS16 pro.
Opposite to AS16 pro, AST will regain more of the treble for more balanced and potent sound to my ears, it will give you a good idea where AS24 are at.

On another note, I have received KZ USB DAC (AM01, top left in the image) and compared it to my other 20+ simple DACs (some fitting into the picture shown below; and talk about hoarding, pardon hobby) and Sonata HD pro as a neutral reference, as well as few IEMs with an integrated USB DAC.

To cut the story short, KZ DAC looks uneventful: no company logo, quite rigid cable, but feels ready to last and withstand some heavy use, perhaps.
The power provided by the KZ DAC is good: ca. 25% of volume on my old S10 needed for my normal listening with a good sensitive IEM, like ZAT, used in these tests. This power output is similar to the "louder" other DACs, such as Moondrop Click.
Power consumption of KZ DAC is reasonably low: 2 mA in idle, 16 mA when powered. The latter value is similar to the Apple dongle but KZ DAC provides significantly higher output power: 55% vs 25% volume, correspondingly.

KZ DAC is definitely tuned off neutral (unlike most of simple DACs) being a touch warmer and softer: to pair well with IEMs rich in treble, of older KZ, I guess.

P.S. To give a more general perspective on the current values: some USB DACs, like Muse M3 can consume upto 200 mA (1 Watt(!!) - data processing is energy costly! Good powerful USB DACs, like BHD pro draw 60-70 mA. Most simple USB DACs are under 23-26 mA, whiich is not much of a factor for modern phones.

If power consumption is your most important factor - use Samsung OEM buds (UrbanX) or Moondrop Droplet for more aesthetics - they both draw only 5 mA. UrbanX is noticeably louder, so one will get most "bang" per power consumed - Samsung/AKG know their engineering!
Thank you for that, I will try the AST first. But I am enjoying my music so much on the AS16 Pro it might be a while! This sounded great, percussion and imaging especially, and is a bit of fun.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #63,018 of 63,916
Just to hype this very nice balanced iem (Olina SE like) a little more:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #63,019 of 63,916
Things are similar with the new CCA hybrid. The drivers used as well as the tuning do not guarantee any progression against the already previously brilliant HM20..I'll wait quietly for Tony's review, Akros, he discovered this gems long time ago. In the meantime, nothing is prompting me to buy the CCA Rhapsody.
I feel the added dynamic driver for lower midrange will impact some tone and timber. Plus lower price.
I was waiting for Kiwi ears forteza which uses similar configuration. It's too flashy for my taste and no word on pricing yet.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #63,021 of 63,916
Thank you for that, I will try the AST first. But I am enjoying my music so much on the AS16 Pro it might be a while! This sounded great, percussion and imaging especially, and is a bit of fun.

AS16 pro is a marvel with classical (and acoustic) music, indeed :)
Apparently is better than the well reviewed ZS10Pro-X, due to Rhapsody have "lusher" tone, per Chris Love early impression.
ZS10 pro X is a very good improvement on ZS10 pro (compared to C10 pro); it is a prominent V for better or worse.
What was striking in my experience with this IEM: when I started to listen to Pro X after more balanced IEMs - the mids felt missing and overall experience felt less eventful. Then, after some time listening to Pro X (about half an hour for me) - the brain "burn", more exactly some adaptation to compensate for missing mids kicks in, and this "V" starts to shine really, especially with a good combination of drums and electric guitars.
It taught me a lot to give some time to different signatures (Phoenixcall worked out well that way), and that using a diiferent combination of IEMs right after another can bring a lot of different vistas of acoustic experience.

On the last note, I got Moondrope Quarks - clearly a budget set (in how it is made, and B&W Waifu in a cardboard insert - they still could not skip one).
Yet, what I learned is that those microdrivers can really shine with better sources.
Quarks totally beat Tangzu Wan'er Emerald (a beautiful shell) to my ears.
20231119_101541.jpg
I could not make Wan'er working for my ears in multiple trials - tubby/drone bass, not unpleasant mids, but just "no", similar to Hexa that striked me that I can feel not enough bass.

P. S. Chu II and Rhapsody are on the way.

P. P. S. An exxpected surprise delivery (not Canada Post, they do not Saturdays and a lot of other things) - Rhapsody came delivered by a local delivery company that get more and more services from overseas shipping.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #63,022 of 63,916
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a 2.5mm to 2.5mm balanced 30 ohm adaptor?

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #63,023 of 63,916
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a 2.5mm to 2.5mm balanced 30 ohm adaptor?
Very rare. If you find one - please share. I wish variable balanced impedance adapters were produced (I made one for myself and it taught me a lot(!))). Evidently, "tuning by cables" is more profitable, and good impedance adapters will displace such "tuning" and associated profits ("rotating" $1k+ cables is not a joke, as it totally should be...)

Now, my impressions on CCA Rhapsody - totally "not it" for me.
The bass is drony/tubby. Acoustic guitars and violins sound like reproduced with a membrane speaker - not a go for me for my music preference. Also using only SWFK-like BAs seem not to achieve good treble extension - no sparkles, just tame. Mids are not delivered by BAs but reproduced by one of the DDs and are lacking for me, as described.
I used only all on (default); and bass off, treble on switch positions. I can't imagine bass on, treble off....

CCA feel recently being delegated to odd tunings. I really liked Pianist - yes, treble is hot, but mids are there with a 29689 BA and a nice tight DD bass to my ear - piano can sound rich and magical.
If ZAT is too expensive (its much better bass is still too much for me, while the rest triumphs over Rhapsody left and right - fullness, dynamics, stage), then Castors offer way more value and sense to me, compared to what I hear with Rhapsody.

Perhaps, those who love Wan'er may appreciate Rhapsody (?), at least bass-wise, not mids. I do not understand (sound-wise, not hype-wise) elated ad-like response of those "free sample" reviewers, I ignore those personalities for multiple reasons - painfully learned during my 5 years here and being on the way out...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #63,024 of 63,916
during discount, its at $30 for a True Planar IEMs.
pretty sure there will be some who are willing to buy it despite for its shortcoming or people buying it to mod it later as its a "cheap" iem to experiment with

that being said, i own both PR1 Pro and PR2, so i'm gonna sit this one out till full reviews.
right now my eye is on CCA Rhapsody thanks to this comparison

Agree. I'm not getting PR3 despite very tempting price ( a little over $20 with all the coupons). Shouty PR2 gave me one of the worst audio experience recently, and provided graph ain't very promising either.

Again, budget ones can easily pileup, and exceeding the cost of well reviewed $100+ IEMs during the sale, if you let it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #63,025 of 63,916
Bad news.

I had my AS16 Pro (Normal Version) in storage. I haven't used them in probably four or five months. Seems like the bass driver(s) have failed. I'm getting some treble and mids. But there is a huge lack of bass which is not normal. They didn't sound like this before. They sound very tinny and distant too. I've changed out cables, changed sources (edit) and changed eartips. If they're dead, this will be my first KZ failure. My next guess is maybe removing the screens to see if that helps. Any other ideas on maybe what to do?

Similar thing happened to my BA10, which was due to a heavy drop. Could be that one of the BA is dead, or loose wires after impact. I opened the shell, found the wires in question, but end up messing the whole thing during my soldering attempt LoL. For AS16, those glue could always be the culprit, bear in mind we just had a very hot summer!

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #63,026 of 63,916
Similar thing happened to my BA10, which was due to a heavy drop. Could be that one of the BA is dead, or loose wires after impact. I opened the shell, found the wires in question, but end up messing the whole thing during my soldering attempt LoL. For AS16, those glue could always be the culprit, bear in mind we just had a very hot summer!
One side of mine stopped working immediately after trying it for the first time. There was just a barely audible sound that would come out of it. KZ sent me a replacement.
The strange thing is that later I removed the nozzle screen and they seemed to be working again, but that didn't make sense to me, as they worked at first, & then stopped working with barely any usage, so I know I didn't clog the screen with anything.

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #63,028 of 63,916
What KZ would you recommend me for monitoring? I don't want something too bassy, neither fatiguing in the highs. How is the AS16 pro for that purpose?

the AS16 pro would fit your need, as well as the D-Fi

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #63,029 of 63,916
One side of mine stopped working immediately after trying it for the first time. There was just a barely audible sound that would come out of it. KZ sent me a replacement.
The strange thing is that later I removed the nozzle screen and they seemed to be working again, but that didn't make sense to me, as they worked at first, & then stopped working with barely any usage, so I know I didn't clog the screen with anything.

Condensation maybe? :thinking:

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #63,030 of 63,916
Agree. I'm not getting PR3 despite very tempting price ( a little over $20 with all the coupons). Shouty PR2 gave me one of the worst audio experience recently, and provided graph ain't very promising either.

Again, budget ones can easily pileup, and exceeding the cost of well reviewed $100+ IEMs during the sale, if you let it.
Maybe I missed some post... Where can I get those discounts? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back