Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #62,986 of 63,914
for people who are tempted by $30 planar, KZ PR3
KZ finally say a thing of two about the differences between PR2 and PR3

1700103147700.jpeg
1700103154910.jpeg

It seems essentially,
- they avoid the production issue with damper application and uses electronic filter instead
- they uses easier to drive Planar driver compared to the infamous PR2, either brand new or its revamped PR1 Pro driver i do not now.
- they also focuses on giving more resolution, which may be the cause of the retune. lower bass, more treble and air section.

---

Can somebody create a product page for the PR3? I will be getting a set and will be posting a review soon. TIA.
Your PR3 already sent?
How to make the PR3 page anyway?

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #62,987 of 63,914
Bad news.

I had my AS16 Pro (Normal Version) in storage. I haven't used them in probably four or five months. Seems like the bass driver(s) have failed. I'm getting some treble and mids. But there is a huge lack of bass which is not normal. They didn't sound like this before. They sound very tinny and distant too. I've changed out cables, changed sources (edit) and changed eartips. If they're dead, this will be my first KZ failure. My next guess is maybe removing the screens to see if that helps. Any other ideas on maybe what to do?

I remember reading anecdotal forum reports of the DD driver being stuck/compressed, and someone sucked on the nozzle to unstuck it. Haha sounds a bit weird, but it worked for the fellow, so why not?

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #62,989 of 63,914
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #62,990 of 63,914
There is another hype about PR3, but I don't entirely buy into it.

PR3 employs a high-precision silver-plating manufacturing process, enhancing the diaphragm's electrical conductivity, resulting in higher and more stable audio signal transmission efficiency. Its extremely low impedance allows PR3 to be effortlessly driven by ordinary playback devices.

1700120884642.png

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #62,991 of 63,914
I remember reading anecdotal forum reports of the DD driver being stuck/compressed, and someone sucked on the nozzle to unstuck it. Haha sounds a bit weird, but it worked for the fellow, so why not?

Well, I just sucked off my AS16 Pros, both shells. Removed the screens as well. And um, I'm not proud of myself 🤣 And um, it didn't seem to affect them either. Tinniness remains. Thanks for the tip though.

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #62,992 of 63,914
for people who are tempted by $30 planar, KZ PR3
KZ finally say a thing of two about the differences between PR2 and PR3

It seems essentially,
- they avoid the production issue with damper application and uses electronic filter instead
- they uses easier to drive Planar driver compared to the infamous PR2, either brand new or its revamped PR1 Pro driver i do not now.
- they also focuses on giving more resolution, which may be the cause of the retune. lower bass, more treble and air section.

---

Your PR3 already sent?
How to make the PR3 page anyway?
My PR3 is on its way. I'm afraid I don't know how the showcase pages are created.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #62,994 of 63,914
Sometimes i listen to IEMs from my collection in random order, swapping IEM after 1-3 days. Current cycle started with as16pro, then was the campfire holocene, and now i listen to ZS7. Oh my god, this thing have a lot of bass and it slaps. Maybe that is because i used to Holocene sound, but im impressed

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #62,995 of 63,914
I've been listening to the CCA Polaris for the second day now, and I have a feeling that KZ made great set by accident.... In fact, they are very well tuned right out of the box. However, I decided to tweaked them a bit by changing the filter to low density foam and a black cotton filter 200 Olina SE filter and now I'm quite shocked at how well it plays. Great balanced sound, better then Castor Harman and less shouty. I'm curious to hear more opinions.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #62,996 of 63,914
Sometimes i listen to IEMs from my collection in random order, swapping IEM after 1-3 days. Current cycle started with as16pro, then was the campfire holocene, and now i listen to ZS7. Oh my god, this thing have a lot of bass and it slaps. Maybe that is because i used to Holocene sound, but im impressed
Yes, the ZS7 has amazing sub bass. Still one of my favourite KZs.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #62,997 of 63,914
My 30 ohm adaptor arrived today. I plugged it in to my Xduoo X20 DAP and connected the AS16 Pro. This piece sounded great. Very nice timbre from all the instruments and a wonderful soundstage. Smoother and more natural than without the adaptor.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #62,999 of 63,914
I do stage monitoring weekly and would say probably the KZ AS24.

It has good technical prowess, above average isolation, and 256 tuning options (no kidding, from 8 tuning switches on the switch version).

But must it be a KZ?
If you are open to other brands, there are many other options such as the Truthear HEXA and AFUL MagicOne, which are quite neutral and good options for stage monitoring.

All are too expensive. Any other recomendation?
So the KZ are not very good in terms of being neutral for monitoring? I'm not really looking for isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back