Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #62,972 of 63,884
If people are still inclined towards getting the PR3 and find it very shouty, I would suggest modding it by adding foam inside the nozzle if modding isn't your thing just EQ and using small bore/foam eartips. I know that it's KZ's obligation to make it a good product, but a lot of people still insist on buying it despite its shortcomings.

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #62,973 of 63,884
If people are still inclined towards getting the PR3 and find it very shouty, I would suggest modding it by adding foam inside the nozzle if modding isn't your thing just EQ and using small bore/foam eartips. I know that it's KZ's obligation to make it a good product, but a lot of people still insist on buying it despite its shortcomings.
during discount, its at $30 for a True Planar IEMs.
pretty sure there will be some who are willing to buy it despite for its shortcoming or people buying it to mod it later as its a "cheap" iem to experiment with

that being said, i own both PR1 Pro and PR2, so i'm gonna sit this one out till full reviews.
right now my eye is on CCA Rhapsody thanks to this comparison

1700035794197.png

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #62,974 of 63,884
during discount, its at $30 for a True Planar IEMs.
pretty sure there will be some who are willing to buy it despite for its shortcoming or people buying it to mod it later as its a "cheap" iem to experiment with
The problem is that KZ isn't going to be pushed to improve their QC and R&D, and most people who bought the PR2 expected it to sound like the V1, so people are understandably hesitant to buy them. You get what you pay for I guess 🤷‍♀️

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #62,975 of 63,884
The problem is that KZ isn't going to be pushed to improve their QC and R&D, You get what you pay for I guess 🤷‍♀️
When it comes to KZ's you don't get what you pay for. The Castor Bass is the only earphone I find acceptable. Where did my other hundreds of dollars go... In the garbage bin.

Edit; I'm slightly wrong, the AS16 although not as competitive as other brands was alright. The ED16/AS7 (?) was potentially a gem but I forget what it sounded like now. I wish I didn't pass it on.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #62,976 of 63,884
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #62,977 of 63,884
I think my Castor Bass was either damaged during burn in at the lowest volume or the Faaeal Hibiscus cable sounds really bad with it...
I found that my Castor Bass's right side has loosen cable connection; when I press the IEM into my ear the sound disappears for a while, then returns.
I changed the cable with another (coming from my old KZ ZSN PRO X), now I have no more disconnections.
Maybe the original Castor cable has a production issue (pins too thin, or slightly misplaced?)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #62,978 of 63,884
Don't be too stuck on making it another KZ! Even if you have to wait and save a little more, that's more satisfying than drawerful of uninspiring sidegrades.

Other manufacturers have made real inroads into the budget sector.

You can currently pick up the Kinera Celeste Pandamon in a mystery bag at Angelears on AliExpress for $30. That has an SPD rather a conventional planar but is open backed and treble is more restrained than the KZ planars. Very comfortable fit and good for long listening sessions. Not as isolating if you're in a noisy environment though.

I think Artti T10 is on sale for about $60 now and that apparently also has a more treble friendly tune.

OG Tangzu Zetian Wu would have been a good choice but they were $150 and no longer in production.

NiceHCK F1 pro has just been released for under $100, but that is still an unknown quantity. The original F1 was decent but significantly more expensive.:L3000:
I like the segment (and I like KZ). I just wish there would be a progression with each spend/purchase. I don't need to fork out the cash to chase the bunny, because I caught it a long time ago.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #62,979 of 63,884
Still really impressed with the AS16 Pro. These two pieces sound as good as I have ever heard them:

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #62,980 of 63,884
Bad news.

I had my AS16 Pro (Normal Version) in storage. I haven't used them in probably four or five months. Seems like the bass driver(s) have failed. I'm getting some treble and mids. But there is a huge lack of bass which is not normal. They didn't sound like this before. They sound very tinny and distant too. I've changed out cables, changed sources (edit) and changed eartips. If they're dead, this will be my first KZ failure. My next guess is maybe removing the screens to see if that helps. Any other ideas on maybe what to do?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #62,981 of 63,884
Bad news.

I had my AS16 Pro (Normal Version) in storage. I haven't used them in probably four or five months. Seems like the bass driver(s) have failed. I'm getting some treble and mids. But there is a huge lack of bass which is not normal. They didn't sound like this before. They sound very tinny and distant too. I've changed out cables, changed sources (edit) and changed eartips. If they're dead, this will be my first KZ failure. My next guess is maybe removing the screens to see if that helps. Any other ideas on maybe what to do?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17811031

I cant suggest what to do but there was a post with similar problem caused by glue

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #62,982 of 63,884
Bad news.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
What is quite unlikely that both of the bass drivers fail simultaneously. So the cause may be somewhere else.

BA bass is very sensitive to seal (less air is pushed through), so finding sealing tips would me my primary action.
You already did that.

If that is a possible glue issue, as suggested, opening the shell (heating it with a hair drier usually helps) and checking may be instructive.

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #62,983 of 63,884
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17811031

I cant suggest what to do but there was a post with similar problem caused by glue

Thanks for the comment link.

I have experienced moisture issues with BAs. The way they sound now, it did remind me of that.

Just to further explain the storage issue. They were in storage then sent via shipping cargo (1 to 2 month travel time approximately) to my house in the Philippines. I sent other IEMs I had in storage but I've been testing them over the last few months and they all sound normal. I just got around to the AS16 Pro today. Bummer.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #62,984 of 63,884
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #62,985 of 63,884
Can somebody create a product page for the PR3? I will be getting a set and will be posting a review soon. TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back