Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 12, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #62,941 of 64,259
That's an instant 'pass' to me especially compared to already shouty/bass light PR2. Looks like this version is moving more towards Moondrop Stellaris than let's say 7Hz Timeless AE or Nicehck F1 w. black filter. Obviously graphs don't dictate everything but still.

I'm more surprised HBB kept doing collab with KZ after low-key throwing KZ under the bus multiple times. Shrugging off like, ' Tuning? My tuning was right, my initial tuning is awesome, it's all on KZ this and that... '. What's scary is everyone actually automatically siding with him without AB-ing, and buying into that crap instead of admitting PR2 is not for everyone. I truly believe some do like PR2 because it's all about preference in this hobby! But divert any blames while taking the bag SMH.
I will give it a try if its price is below $60. My main complaint about the PR2 is its 10dB sub-bass boost when paired with CCA BTX. Also, its treble is shy. Modifying the filter mesh makes its sound brighter but also shoutier.

New PR3 seems to have a promising treble, with no peaks from 3k to 6k. I only concern about the 2k gain, hopefully it does not make the female vocal shouty.

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #62,942 of 64,259
That's an instant 'pass' to me especially compared to already shouty/bass light PR2. Looks like this version is moving more towards Moondrop Stellaris than let's say 7Hz Timeless AE or Nicehck F1 w. black filter. Obviously graphs don't dictate everything but still.

I'm more surprised HBB kept doing collab with KZ after low-key throwing KZ under the bus multiple times. Shrugging off like, ' Tuning? My tuning was right, my initial tuning is awesome, it's all on KZ this and that... '. What's scary is everyone actually automatically siding with him without AB-ing, and buying into that crap instead of admitting PR2 is not for everyone. I truly believe some do like PR2 because it's all about preference in this hobby! But divert any blames while taking the bag SMH.
Ditto, pass for me as well. Going in the direction of PR1/pro on bass would be a good move, but no, they like 'em hot! On PR1 it's tough to get rid of sibilance without over-dampening and bass bloat, while PR2 lacks bass impact, so the treble is too prominent. Good tuner 'should' be able to get more balance out of that driver.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #62,943 of 64,259

Totally agree. PR3 looks to be.aimed squarely at the Asian market. Treble to hell and back.

Same thinking that bought us the Stellaris and the BA in the Talos. Why don't they just add a heated needle that repeatedly pierce's your eardrum?

You can't tell everything from a graph (particularly pre-release) but that has fatiguing written all over it! :triportsad:

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #62,944 of 64,259
As I wrote in the discovery thread:

That treble after 8k looks terrifying to me (and I am not treble sensitive).
I had all versions of PR1 and have both PR2; I like the PR2v1 best; for PR3 even it should be dirty cheap (<50USD) or I will wait the reviews. I assume I am not the only one.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #62,945 of 64,259
Oh man, here's hoping they'd improve or fix the tuning of their planars - that mountainous everest peak in the upper treble though woah

some people might not like that but i can see myself maybe kind of liking such tuning since i'm more of a treblehead, but even then graphs are graphs, they don't tell much but is sure very useful - i would still prefer it to be close to my usual target anyway, would be better if they fixes it and i still probably would think it sounds good in a real world scenario idk :thinking:

here are some pictures that i snipped from KZ's Facebook, returning the classic design like that ZS10 Pro days, was expecting it to look way different but it's alright haha
PR3.png
PR3 III.png
PR3 II.png

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #62,946 of 64,259
Oh man, here's hoping they'd improve or fix the tuning of their planars - that mountainous everest peak in the upper treble though woah

some people might not like that but i can see myself maybe kind of liking such tuning since i'm more of a treblehead, but even then graphs are graphs, they don't tell much but is sure very useful - i would still prefer it to be close to my usual target anyway, would be better if they fixes it and i still probably would think it sounds good in a real world scenario idk :thinking:

here are some pictures that i snipped from KZ's Facebook, returning the classic design like that ZS10 Pro days, was expecting it to look way different but it's alright haha
PR3.pngPR3 III.pngPR3 II.png

Open backed? :thinking:

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #62,948 of 64,259
Open backed? :thinking:
As far as i know some people have discovered on the previous models, it's just for the looks and not actually an open-backed iem, and KZ already states it in the marketing photo of PR1 before too, who knows if they actually changed it again, but i think i can confirm with ESX that it's actually semi-open where i covered the eartip with my finger then place it close to my ear and the sound does goes out the backside of it a little which i find to be very cool

who knoooooooows
image_2023-11-13_043948893.png

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #62,951 of 64,259
let's wait for other FR too, but seems like the PR 3 have no bass, even the PR2 is not so impactful, they need to compensate the planar bass with bigger bass than usual DD tuning IMHO. Or just put the Castor Bass 10mm DD combine with the planar, the materials are there all this time, cmon!

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #62,952 of 64,259
let's wait for other FR too, but seems like the PR 3 have no bass, even the PR2 is not so impactful, they need to compensate the planar bass with bigger bass than usual DD tuning IMHO. Or just put the Castor Bass 10mm DD combine with the planar, the materials are there all this time, cmon!
PR3 graph is removed. Keep our hopes up, guys!!!

I wonder if this is HBB's intention to troll KZ.

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #62,953 of 64,259
PR3 graph is removed. Keep our hopes up, guys!!!

I wonder if this is HBB's intention to troll KZ.
I think its preproduction unit that have different FR graph result with the KZ own FR.
Or HBB uses different eartips on the preproduction units.

but all in all that runaway treble graph is fairly consistent with KZ older planar model,
the only one that have proper downward slope is OG PR2 but we know how that went

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #62,955 of 64,259
They apparently can compensate in the bass region as they did on PR1/pro, and if they are also able to tame the ear gain similar to S12pro/Wu, we may have a killer 50ish buck planar (imo). Or at least add a switch for mid-bass boost. Hope that hbb PR3 graph was just a demo or something inconsequential. This driver has so much potential...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back