Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #62,566 of 63,884
I bought castor bass edition but expect longer shipping time, maybe in 2 weeks, will post impressions later.

As usual just playing with mods, the bass shelf is nice although more sub bass focus will be better. Still have bass bleed on 100-150hz area but nice cut on 200hz.

I saw the nozzle have space for foam mod to reduce trebles and I will change the filter on nozzle with 2x mesh500 with tiny hole for airflow. This will reduce the hugh mids area (pinna gain) with better bass and thr foam will tame edges for smoother sound.

The tuning have potential for mod, not out of the box.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #62,567 of 63,884
1694620507510.png

Both Castor Black and Silver are really nice.
the Pianist? Terrible. My ears hurt instantly the moment I played a song. Just to be sure, I played a challenging song and i tapped out. I'm not sure what's bad about it but its ridiculously sharp and just to be sure, I put on my PR2 with foam tips and its just better??

I'll break out the 711 to measure them when I have the time
Since I got the PR2 I got CCA Duo and krila as well
Castor is the best i've heard from KZ. Pianist? Might as well be one of the worst of recent

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #62,568 of 63,884

Both Castor Black and Silver are really nice.
the Pianist? Terrible. My ears hurt instantly the moment I played a song. Just to be sure, I played a challenging song and i tapped out. I'm not sure what's bad about it but its ridiculously sharp and just to be sure, I put on my PR2 with foam tips and its just better??

I'll break out the 711 to measure them when I have the time
Since I got the PR2 I got CCA Duo and krila as well
Castor is the best i've heard from KZ. Pianist? Might as well be one of the worst of recent
how about the castor with bass boost (black)?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #62,569 of 63,884
how about the castor with bass boost (black)?
Huge fan of the rumble. Out of the box it was DDUU, perfectly fine. I don't hear any sharpness from it that I do from the pianist

Using TRN T tips, stock foam should be even lower treble, I think the treble from castor is fine, pianist isn't fine.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #62,570 of 63,884
no review for Kz Castor until now, why ??? some reviewers already got it
Because reviewing takes time? KZ's release schedule could politely be described as hectic! Yearly and monthly release schedules are easier to keep up with, as opposed to racing to see who can release the most new models every week. :thinking:

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #62,571 of 63,884
Huge fan of the rumble. Out of the box it was DDUU, perfectly fine. I don't hear any sharpness from it that I do from the pianist

Using TRN T tips, stock foam should be even lower treble, I think the treble from castor is fine, pianist isn't fine.
thanks a lot for the quick impression. I ordered both Harman & Bass on first batch but they have just started shipping to me 3 days ago...

Can you compare KZ Castor/Duo with PR2. I want to try PR2, even V2 version if its detail is a head of other KZ products.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #62,573 of 63,884
Yesterday I was pleasantly shocked to hear very little difference between my Letshouer S12 and the PR2 when I used the same cable to roll between them. I don't use regular 2 pin cables with the qdc connectors but tried it anyway. The differences between the two IEM I noticed was that the S12 had a touch more bass and sounded a bit more rounded. The S12 seemed to have slightly thicker note weight. But as far as details throughout the midrange and treble, I'd call it a wash.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I used Dunu S&S eartips (M) on both sets while doing this comparison.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #62,574 of 63,884
thanks a lot for the quick impression. I ordered both Harman & Bass on first batch but they have just started shipping to me 3 days ago...

Can you compare KZ Castor/Duo with PR2. I want to try PR2, even V2 version if its detail is a head of other KZ products.
PR2 V2 MUST BE USED with foam tips. No two ways about it.
Castor won't reach PR2 details but it isn't far off. PR2 honestly sounds better properly driven from low impedance outputs. Don't need that much power on mine! Very dead sounding off high impedance.

It's just what PR2 should have been but details aren't as good but even from a bluetooth adaptor, the Castor Silver is fine!
Castor bass is as it is, very addictive. Just like zero/khan but more refined. My experience with zero and khan is that their treble details are poor. Don't @ me crinacle fanboys. Duo also sounds like project red. Castor Silver is even better than Duo.

Also update to my post : Pianist is awful out of low impedance drive. But all the scuff is gone with high impedance drive like my CCA BTX!
Opinions are either from Jcally AP10 Balanced 4.4 or CCA BTX

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #62,575 of 63,884
Getting my Castor bass tomorrow. If they sound as good as the Chu 2 I am happy…

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #62,577 of 63,884
Different animal. But IMO having owned the original chu, it was very "low quality" sounding
Chu 2 I feel isn't better in the dept although frequency response improved but it's still the same burger
Aahhh… ok… I never listened to the original Chu but the 2 I kinda like…especially for 20,- … I think they sound kinda mellow… I use them now before I go to sleep. Used to listen to the HiFiMan RE800 (599,- introduction price, can you believe it) before sleeping but now I mostley listen to the Chu 2. During the day I mostley listen to my Hidisz MS3, they sound amazing.
Anyway tomorrow the Castor arrive, can’t wait to listen to them.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #62,578 of 63,884
no review for Kz Castor until now, why ??? some reviewers already got it
Listening to the bass model now.

As with most cheap IEMs, you need a better cable to get the most out of them.

Pros:
  • Effective tuning system allows 2 levels of bass boost (switch 1& 2) and 2 of treble boost (switch 3 & 4), letting you shape the sound to your taste.
  • Good separation from the 2 drivers makes for better layering of the sound than most budget IEMs.
  • Inoffensive tuning, no harshness or obvious problems.

Cons:
  • The drivers are clearly cheap, and lack fine detail.
  • Perhaps a slightly plastic tone.

At $20 I'd say these were ok, an interesting alternative for those who wanted layering and customisability at the expense of timbre. But these are $10 - $15, making for a great value budget option.

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #62,580 of 63,884
IMO if these sound "clearly cheap" the Zero/Khan has even worse drivers, by quite a significant amount. There's a reason I got rid of my Khan.
And they were 4x the price!
I had the same problem with the Krila. I think they sound terrible. In about 6 hours it is possible to order the Hidisz MS1 galaxy. If I am one of the first 200 buyers I can get them for 9,99 euro. Shipment included. If they sound like the MS2 and MS3 I will be very happy. Also the Castor bass will arrive today. And also a BeyerDynamic DT 990 80 Ohm edition and HiFiMan Deva pro wired but that is another story and yesterday the Grado SR60X arrived (which I will keep) and a Austrian Audio Hi-X15 (which I will send back today, sounds awful compared to the SR60X). It’s a busy week for me 😊

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back