Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #62,386 of 63,916
I drunk bought the AS24, and think my PR1 Pros are superior. Hmm. Debating on returning the 24s.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #62,387 of 63,916
i've been in this thread as a guest for a very long time now, i think it was since CRN releases, not sure, but i decided to make an account, i've red a lot of things and i really enjoy what has been posted in here, such as waiting for the next KZ or CCA IEMs, it's exciting

i myself does have collection of KZ IEMs and currently one CCA, the CRA, and i haven't bought any since the release of AS16 Pro for a year now, and if i may say, it's just too good, even better when the filter on the nozzle removed because of moisture built-up overtime, the detail, separation, layering, realism and holographic soundstage is something that my other collection didn't excel at, and to me, AS16 Pro is in a different plane of existence in my heart even compared to others that i have

it might be my HRTF that always gives me the immersive soundstage in audio gear including IEMs but i'm not sure, but it works for me ^-^

currently i have the ZSN Pro X (which is my first ever proper IEM long time ago, really liked it) then CRN (strange resonant peak at upper treble resulting in whistling unnatural sound to me, but i enjoyed it and gotten used to it for a while), CRA (the treble blew me away initially, i liked it more than CRN), ZES (love the all metal design, unique tuning and the soundstage too), ESX (the soundstage and natural open airiness to it) and lastly the AS16 Pro (a very special IEM for me that i very much daily drive, the sound is almost perfect to me)

i've also used some of these IEMs for mixing and mastering too

seeing that AS24 came out recently and i'm excited to one day get my hands on it, if it happens ^-^

but it hurts me seeing these unnecessary drama that happen right now, i remember the CRN situation where people assuming KZ hides fake drivers in them, well that one got debunked
and... now this... it doesn't seem right, i feel like people just intentionally trying to take KZ down, people jumped into conclusions too early and i don't understand

i hope it'll all be okay soon, wishing the best for the company and everyone really

but here's some pictures
img_20221031_171524_onfire_abhi__01_by_f_tam_dg60d8f-pre.jpg
img_20230817_182010_onfire_abhi__01_by_f_tam_dg60dbm-pre.jpg
img_20230817_182340_onfire_abhi__01_by_f_tam_dg60dc5-pre.jpg
It was written in some head fi reviews, that they had the high impedance version. So they fixed the low impedance issue?

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #62,388 of 63,916
It was written in some head fi reviews, that they had the high impedance version. So they fixed the low impedance issue?
oh yeah, they've released the high impedance version a while ago, but it's exclusive to the black variant of it if i'm not mistaken, KZ put out a statement before that they'll be keeping the normal emerald green version since there are people out there that liked the mid-forward signature, and to me i do like both too, but i do prefer it with the adapter ^-^

i don't have 30ohm adapter but instead 80 and 220, Melatonin graphed the AS16 Pro with adapter that are close to what i have, have a look
as16 pro graph.png

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #62,389 of 63,916
oh yeah, they've released the high impedance version a while ago, but it's exclusive to the black variant of it if i'm not mistaken, KZ put out a statement before that they'll be keeping the normal emerald green version since there are people out there that liked the mid-forward signature, and to me i do like both too, but i do prefer it with the adapter ^-^

i don't have 30ohm adapter but instead 80 and 220, Melatonin graphed the AS16 Pro with adapter that are close to what i have, have a lookas16 pro graph.png
I heard they were gonna make a high independence version but in just black, but I thought It was gonna be a whole new iem. I thought they just threw in the towel on releasing it. If green sounds good I might get that and a 30ohm adapter since they cheap.

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #62,391 of 63,916
They were actually fixing their tuning issue (of purportedly, the impedance dialed incorrectly during tuning that, I speculate, affected AST and ASX/ASF previously, as well).
Adding an impedance adaptor, approximates it reasonably, but the high-impedance version was released with different circuitry and the same drivers.

Having said this, I have all three variations (green, black, black high impedance) - I love AS16 pro in all shades :)
To me, removing the mesh from the nozzles eliminates some veil from the treble and let it breath, with no more adjustment needed to my ears for somewhat warmer original tuning.
The difference of the high-impedance version is not that prominent, yet it is the same price and can be a good option to get one's first AS16 pro, especially if one have more powerful sources.

I have been spending some time with the KZ ZAX. An older model I know, but I am late to the KZ party, so I have been trying to read about the various KZ-models and get an overview of how they sound. Until now, I still cannot understand how it is feasible to produce and keep old models in stock? Why it is that they market so many different models and variations is just crazy to me. Maybe it is in fact a part of their businessmodel? While there are constantly new versions of each model, they seemingly continue to sell the old ones... hmm... well maybe exactly that is what has now triggered me to order KZ model #4 (KZ EDXS) and #5 (Krila) now both on their way.

I started with the KZ ZS10. Then the ZS10 Pro X and now the ZAX. I find the ZAX to be the best of the three with a bit more clarity and air. The differences between the three are minor but there is a little extra crispiness to the ZAX that I like. The tuning of the KZ IEM's is FAR FAR away from what I normally listen to with my Etymotic EVO but closer to my daily IEM the Beyerdynaic Xelento. But I am drawn to the KZ sound in a mystical way and then irritated at it at times and always a relief to get the Etymotics free and open sound in my ears again. Only then, when I go back and forth with the ZAX and the EVO that there is a thin veil over the sound if the ZAX. BUT that punchy bass and fun tuning is addictive.

I was afraid that these would be so V-shaped that vocals would be pushed far back in the stage but I enjoy the midrange in the ZAX as it is. Some metal / hard rock recordings give me listening fatigue with the ZAX. Like Tools "Fear Innoculum" is NOT pure listening pleasure with the ZAX, as it is with the Xelento 2nd Generation. But for the price of the ZAX one can't complain. Acoustic jazz sounds great with the ZAX. Vocal jazz for that matter. Guitars are great. Percussion sounds full, punchy and lifelike. Not bad at all.

...and are a few pictures of the ZAX if you don't mind.

53125068898_7b6c837a4b_k.jpg

53123985962_461c28f20a_k.jpg

53123986237_df896c12fb_k.jpg

53124986880_49271993e9_k.jpg
ZAX and CA16 (warmer/analoguish one) are still my favourite hybrid duo.
Then KZ went to some different tunings (perhaps, figuring out impedances :)). Now, I am looking forward to Krila flying at a higher level with more BA for mid smoothness and balance.
1692433340342.png

Let's just casually launch an IEM just a day after a big drama and poke in the open wounds...

...but with the right price and the right curve, I can buy it. I'm in need of a banger IEM to use with a Bluetooth adapter.

yadda yadda, KZ should wait more to launch new IEMs, but it is what it is.
KZ seems to be seriously after Crin :)
Well, fierce competition brings better products!

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #62,392 of 63,916

Let's just casually launch an IEM just a day after a big drama and poke in the open wounds...

...but with the right price and the right curve, I can buy it. I'm in need of a banger IEM to use with a Bluetooth adapter.

@evasb Where did you find this announcement? - Ok, I found it on their Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/KZEarphones/

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #62,393 of 63,916
1692433340342.png

I JUST GOT MY DUO What!? i also told myself that these 7mm werent cutting it for the bass department. i get on here and now this?! my wife can go lay an egg, im buying this right now.

Attachments

• 20230818_160155.jpg
    20230818_160155.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #62,394 of 63,916
I JUST GOT MY DUO What!? i also told myself that these 7mm werent cutting it for the bass department. i get on here and now this?! my wife can go lay an egg, im buying this right now.
I had the same reaction lol. If this Castor is CCA Duo but with 3-5 db more bass it will be instabuy, though I should have waited.🥲

There's also another IEM alongside this Castor. Also looks interesting. 1DD+2BA
Screenshot_20230819-232457_Opera.jpg

Though no measurements yet.

Out topic though, I kinda want to see KZ venture into the budget wired headphones side of things and bring their DD tuning experiences there, like imagine D-Fi DD (dual material diaphragm) but larger and open back....

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #62,395 of 63,916
I had the same reaction lol. If this Castor is CCA Duo but with 3-5 db more bass it will be instabuy, though I should have waited.🥲

Screenshot_20230819-232457_Opera.jpg

Out topic though, I kinda want to see KZ venture into the budget wired headphones side of things and bring their DD tuning experiences there, like imagine D-Fi DD (dual material diaphragm) but larger and open back....
yup, i fooled myself into expecting ESX-tier bass on the duos. but they do take bass eq, exceptionally well. this no-bass tune is actually growing on me, and i like low-volume listening with these. phenomenal treble, I'd say.

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #62,398 of 63,916
I think it would be a cheaper/budget variant with some features cut.

at the $12 price, it seems it would not have the soundtubed shell
i think, it might use a "cheaper" sets of DD.

but it address the request of 10+7mm DD setup instead of Duos 7+7
it might have bass EQ switch to address the bass-lite complaint
and its priced at sub $20 as some might consider the $39 price point is too close to OG Zero.

So Duo might be still in apoint of view "better"
but Castor might be answer for popular request for Duo's fix that came at a cost.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #62,399 of 63,916
Aug 20, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #62,400 of 63,916

So CCA Pianist measurement has just been released..

Screenshot_20230821-085359_Opera.jpg

Traced it, looks promising.. assuming they measured it with foam tips on, we can expect more peak with silicone tips.
Screenshot_3 (1).png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back