Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 12, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #62,191 of 64,396
Thanks! Actually having read through the last few pages, I just ordered a Krila, as I don't have a hybrid IEM.

Can you (or anybody) compare the Krila to the D-Fi, or 7hz Zero?

I haven't done A/B comparisons of the Salnotes Zero versus Krila - will do so later after work.

But the Krila is much more technical than the D-Fi, with greater treble extension and air. It has a bit less natural timbre than the D-Fi though (BA timbre), thinner note weight too.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #62,192 of 64,396
Thanks! Actually having read through the last few pages, I just ordered a Krila, as I don't have a hybrid IEM.

Can you (or anybody) compare the Krila to the D-Fi, or 7hz Zero?

Krila has only come out in the last couple of days. Everyone is waiting on either their own set to arrive or feedback from others. :L3000:

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #62,194 of 64,396
I have the 7hz Zero and the Hola in my budget pocket. To me the 7hz is better. The Hola to me is too warm for an IEM, if that makes sense. I'm led to believe that the D-Fi is more similar to the Zero than the Hola, can anybody comment on this?
For me Hola was very mellow and undetailed: could be described as warm, but not in classical way.
Also strangely need a lot of power to drive.
Maybe it's over dampened.

As I remember 7hz Zero: D-Fi is different. Sounds fuller and for me more mature/ realistic. But I sold mine 7hz quite long time ago. So I can't add anything more from memory.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #62,195 of 64,396
For me Hola was very mellow and undetailed: could be described as warm, but not in classical way.
Also strangely need a lot of power to drive.
Maybe it's over dampened.

As I remember 7hz Zero: D-Fi is different. Sounds fuller and for me more mature/ realistic. But I sold mine 7hz quite long time ago. So I can't add anything more from memory.

Yes, Hola is overdampened over already dip lower treble tunes.
Truthear Hola Mod.jpg

I have Krila coming with delivery date somewhere next week.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #62,196 of 64,396
Can anybody tell me about the KZ planar IEMs? What is the difference (besides cosmetics) between the PR1 and PR2? I assume the PR1 is "better" since it costs more but what are the differences in how they sound and fit?

I really, really like the Monolith M570s I got a while back and I'd love to have an in-ear version of that sound. If not the KZ's then what else should I be looking at?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #62,197 of 64,396
Can anybody tell me about the KZ planar IEMs? What is the difference (besides cosmetics) between the PR1 and PR2? I assume the PR1 is "better" since it costs more but what are the differences in how they sound and fit?

I really, really like the Monolith M570s I got a while back and I'd love to have an in-ear version of that sound. If not the KZ's then what else should I be looking at?
Original Tangzu Zetian Wu is good. Out of production, but I think BrightAudio Store on AE still has a few 4.4mm ones left. :L3000:

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #62,198 of 64,396
I really like the PR2s, I would recommend at the $35 price point but only if you can use the foam tips. Jesus it's just bad so harsh with any types of silicones tips I have tries. And I love treble. Or thought I did until I heard this! The texture is great there really is something different about Planar drivers and I'm absolutely reminded of Hifiman HE400SE over the ears. Awesome bass, fantastic details.

Maybe if I get the Simgot EA500 "tuning kit" something could be applied to these PR2s? I do have the Simgot EA500s as well though.

:o2smile:

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #62,199 of 64,396
I really like the PR2s, I would recommend at the $35 price point but only if you can use the foam tips. Jesus it's just bad so harsh with any types of silicones tips I have tries. And I love treble. Or thought I did until I heard this! The texture is great there really is something different about Planar drivers and I'm absolutely reminded of Hifiman HE400SE over the ears. Awesome bass, fantastic details.

Maybe if I get the Simgot EA500 "tuning kit" something could be applied to these PR2s? I do have the Simgot EA500s as well though.

:o2smile:
Wow.. so the tuning is broken by KZ. I have PR2 v1 and I'm using them with silicone tips (Sony tips this time). From the two, I would say EA500 is much more sibilant and bright.

Edit: Or there's possibility that I'm less sensitive to pinna gain (it's a bit intense). Pr2 is more elevated in this area.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #62,200 of 64,396
You need a lot of power to bring the bass out in these. Even then I find with the sub bass at stock the driver can't provide the required slam in the mid bass. Even just EQing down the sub bass by 2 or 3 db seems to give the driver some breathing room to hit harder in the mids.

They're an excellent set with EQ and a good power source, but without it, imo, quite bad.

People think the problems just with he upper treble but it's not. The presence and upper mids are pretty screwy. If you don't spend time sorting that out things in that region sound metallic/plastic and splashy.

I think some people are blown away initially by some of the drivers strengths and the fake detail provided by the hyper treble but for me it wore off very fast. Besides the drivers good enough that you can bring the treble down to normal levels and still get loads of real, natural detail.
Yeah, I know and I used them mainly with Arcam rHead. To my surprise, the PR2 went from midbass heavy and boomy to bass light after some time, but the highs remained harsh. I didn't even try to play with the equalizer, as I have many better IEM-s. IMO the KZ x HBB collabs are a failure.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #62,202 of 64,396
not your typical kz tune. the bass sounds tight and deep, not boomy. ba sounds a little sparkly, big improvements over it's predecessors. for $16 flat, what an excellent budget offering. more time with them this week.
bass is tight, deep, and not boomy... from a Xun Dynamic Driver? really?
wow. thats quite the improvement.

One of the reason i gave away my DQ6 is the boomy bass with long sound end tails.
Its fast enough to keep up with double pedal, but the boomy and long sound end tails ended smearing the rest of the sounds.

Now, if you say the bass have pretty good texture...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #62,203 of 64,396
bass is tight, deep, and not boomy... from a Xun Dynamic Driver? really?
wow. thats quite the improvement.

One of the reason i gave away my DQ6 is the boomy bass with long sound end tails.
Its fast enough to keep up with double pedal, but the boomy and long sound end tails ended smearing the rest of the sounds.

Now, if you say the bass have pretty good texture...

To be honest XUN is one of the best DD that KZ ever created aside from 12mm DD super resolution on ZES

the reason DQ6 is boomy isn't because of the XUN, it is because of the nylon filter they are using on the nozzle, that made sounded bloated and smear a lot.
I mod a lot so I know how they sounded without the filter. The XUN quality is exceptional especially for the price. The tuning on the DQ6 is too v shaped, but the bass coming from pure XUN is tight and deep and very impactful.
I believe with the Krilla tuning that more lean, the bass will be great and if they are using zobel to tune, not depending on nylon filter on nozzle so the bass won't be degrade beacuse of good airflow.

My Krila is coming in roughly 3 days, let me hear and take a look inside the nozzle later. I have high expectation with Krila and to mod it (with foam for better timbre and reducing high mids little bit), as budget level new king contender, not as $1000 contender of course

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #62,204 of 64,396
Does anybody know if the PR2's (or any other KZ IEM/Other brand IEM) will give me a better soundstage/imaging than the Moondrop Aria, KZ ZAX and KZ ZSN pro? Really interested in trying a planar IEM but don't know if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #62,205 of 64,396
Does anybody know if the PR2's (or any other KZ IEM/Other brand IEM) will give me a better soundstage/imaging than the Moondrop Aria, KZ ZAX and KZ ZSN pro? Really interested in trying a planar IEM but don't know if it's worth it.
Soundstage and imaging are good but treble is somewhat aggressive on PR2. ZSN Pro is not very good. ZAX was okay. There are much cheaper options than Aria now, although it's tonality and stage width are the best ot the three you listed. A lot depends on personal preference and what types of music you listen to. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back