Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 30, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #62,131 of 63,916
Just bare in mind 6 - 10hz causes some weird treble in these. Some people might like it, and in some songs it sounds awesome, it gives a very ethereal sound, but it's not natural at all and ruins the timbre for me and in some songs just sounds messy (too much decay).

For me, just lowering the treble didn't really help. I found the only way to fix it for my tastes was to smooth it out as much as possible right up until the 8k peak. After that you have good timbre but too much treble to from 8k I just slope it down gently without changing the peaks and dips. If you smooth out the treble after 8k, you get the opposite problem and you lose all the decay and the treble loses its zest.

I applied my EQ to your graph btw, and it matches up very well.
My PR2 order got delayed for some reason. I did noticed some metallic notes on PR1 Hifi treble, especially some unnatural feels on percussion instruments. Getting PR2 because of the price & I heard other saying treble is tamed, and overall more balanced. Is that really true?

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #62,132 of 63,916
I've never tried a mesh mod before but with these I think I'll have too. 300 seems great to start. Thanks!
I remember reading someone replacing the nozzle mesh of pr2 v2 with moondrop metal grill(it have mesh underneath) and loving it. A bit more midbass and it alter the treble as well.

Not sure how dense those moondrop filter

The stock mesh has around 300 density grid (at least it matches for almost a 100%), so better look for 4.5mm 350 one. Anyway it costs +- 1usd per 20pcs.

Also I've tried mesh that was in the box with Moondrop S8, but its hardly noticeable (probably around 200 density).

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #62,133 of 63,916
Just bare in mind 6 - 10hz causes some weird treble in these. Some people might like it, and in some songs it sounds awesome, it gives a very ethereal sound, but it's not natural at all and ruins the timbre for me and in some songs just sounds messy (too much decay).

For my just lowering the treble didn't really help. I found the only way to fix it for my tastes was to smooth it out as much as possible right up until the 8k peak. After that you have good timbre but too much treble to from 8k I just slope it down gently without changing the peaks and dips.

I applied my EQ to your graph btw, and it matches up very well.

My PR2 order got delayed for some reason. I did noticed some metallic notes on PR1 Hifi treble, especially some unnatural feels on percussion instruments. Getting PR2 because of the price & I heard other saying treble is tamed, and overall more balanced. Is that really true?
Unfortunately the treble is no longer tamed as they changed the design after the first run. These have a metallic timbre and splashy harsh treble as stock. Some people do like that though, just not me. With EQ I love these though, they punch well above there weight, but if you have the PR1 there's no point getting the PR2 because they're pretty much the same iem since they removed the mesh

Jun 30, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #62,134 of 63,916
Unfortunately the treble is no longer tamed as they changed the design after the first run. These have a metallic timbre and splashy harsh treble as stock. Some people do like that though, just not me. With EQ I love these though, they punch well above there weight, but if you have the PR1 there's no point getting the PR2 because they're pretty much the same iem since they removed the mesh
I didn't hate PR1 though. It was just at the time I was also getting IMR EDP Ace and Shuoer S12. Those were slightly more smooth, S12 can get a little hot too depending on tips, and better built quality as a whole package. Many Planar IEMs tend to get a little hot in treble based on my experience, that's the point to have better resolution stands out. I do agree technicality alone KZ PR series rivals any budget IEMs, that's why I'm getting this one as a capable beater set, comfortable throwing into the pocket, or to be accidentally stepped on....

Jun 30, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #62,136 of 63,916
@Kaleb I don't know, but given their lack of respect for customers, I'm guessing they're still going into denial, claiming that changes like a missing damper don't affect the sound at all. HBB will probably say or has already said that it was his last collaboration with KZ - just like he said after the DQ6S.

I received the PR2 V2 and initial impressions were mediocre, as the bass was boomy and the treble was harsh. I think these are the first IEM that really changed after burn in, but I have yet to compare them with other models.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #62,137 of 63,916
@Kaleb I don't know, but given their lack of respect for customers, I'm guessing they're still going into denial, claiming that changes like a missing damper don't affect the sound at all. HBB will probably say or has already said that it was his last collaboration with KZ - just like he said after the DQ6S.

I received the PR2 V2 and initial impressions were mediocre, as the bass was boomy and the treble was harsh. I think these are the first IEM that really changed after burn in, but I have yet to compare them with other models.

You need a lot of power to bring the bass out in these. Even then I find with the sub bass at stock the driver can't provide the required slam in the mid bass. Even just EQing down the sub bass by 2 or 3 db seems to give the driver some breathing room to hit harder in the mids.

They're an excellent set with EQ and a good power source, but without it, imo, quite bad.

People think the problems just with he upper treble but it's not. The presence and upper mids are pretty screwy. If you don't spend time sorting that out things in that region sound metallic/plastic and splashy.

I think some people are blown away initially by some of the drivers strengths and the fake detail provided by the hyper treble but for me it wore off very fast. Besides the drivers good enough that you can bring the treble down to normal levels and still get loads of real, natural detail.

Jul 1, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #62,138 of 63,916
You need a lot of power to bring the bass out in these. Even then I find with the sub bass at stock the driver can't provide the required slam in the mid bass. Even just EQing down the sub bass by 2 or 3 db seems to give the driver some breathing room to hit harder in the mids.

They're an excellent set with EQ and a good power source, but without it, imo, quite bad.

People think the problems just with he upper treble but it's not. The presence and upper mids are pretty screwy. If you don't spend time sorting that out things in that region sound metallic/plastic and splashy.

I think some people are blown away initially by some of the drivers strengths and the fake detail provided by the hyper treble but for me it wore off very fast. Besides the drivers good enough that you can bring the treble down to normal levels and still get loads of real, natural detail.
I switched from 2vrms dongle to a simple hp laptop 3.5mm output with no great configuration. I'm completely blown away by the change in sound. No more anemic dull music. Vocals, bass everything becomes so authoritative. Full, rich, etc. Fill in all the exemplary adjectives. This is a V1, btw. Hence, minimum 4Vms is essential to get a decent sound.
Only higher power output in transportable form in sub200$ category, I feel is topping NX7. How much Vrms or mw/W you guys are using on mobile basis? Is 1W required for best sound?
Plus there's the issue in input voltage matching.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #62,139 of 63,916
This is a V1, btw. Hence, minimum 4Vms is essential to get a decent sound.
Only higher power output in transportable form in sub200$ category, I feel is topping NX7. How much Vrms or mw/W you guys are using on mobile basis? Is 1W required for best sound?
Plus there's the issue in input voltage matching.

1W? These aren't speakers.

I own a V1 and I'm driving it very satisfactorily with the following:

https://hifigo.com/products/jcally-jm6-pro

https://whizzer.store/product/import-placeholder-for-882/

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #62,140 of 63,916
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #62,141 of 63,916
Jul 2, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #62,142 of 63,916
That's interesting. Based on my own experience with the PR2 (I use a Shanling M3X balanced output/high gain as a minimum), I wouldn't even think of using such power-weak devices for these IEMs. But the reality is perhaps different... 🤔

Yeah, the reality is quite different, and I've no interest in permanent hearing damage.

The power required for V1 under its most challenging load:

Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-04-58-62_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

The load parameters as per KZ themselves:
Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-05-09-51_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #62,143 of 63,916
Yeah, the reality is quite different, and I've no interest in permanent hearing damage.

The power required for V1 under its most challenging load:

Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-04-58-62_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

The load parameters as per KZ themselves:
Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-05-09-51_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
No one is saying it's not possible to power them with 0.55vrms. It'll lack authority which you need to hear for yourself.
If you have been using on mobile phone, Please just connect it to a laptop and try listening yourself. There's a difference in quality.
Trust me, you'll thank later.

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #62,144 of 63,916
No one is saying it's not possible to power them with 0.55vrms. It'll lack authority which you need to hear for yourself.
If you have been using on mobile phone, Please just connect it to a laptop and try listening yourself. There's a difference in quality.
Trust me, you'll thank later.

You're assuming I've not driven it already with a variety of amplification. However, you're incorrect in that.

I've driven it with all manner of amplification, including desktop amplifiers and the 3.5mm output of computers.

I'm fine.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #62,145 of 63,916
You're assuming I've not driven it already with a variety of amplification. However, you're incorrect in that.

I've driven it with all manner of amplification, including desktop amplifiers and the 3.5mm output of computers.

I'm fine.
To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back