Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 14, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #62,026 of 63,916
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #62,028 of 63,916
Just a new PR2 EQ profile for your consideration.

I built it a few hours ago, have been listening with it since, and believe it's more tonally balanced and neutral.

I based the EQ profile upon Paul Wasabii's measurements for the Crinacle Zero:Red and the PR2, and the Harman IE 2019 target.

My pinna gain looks closer to the CZR, but it's not. It's merely a high shelf filter curving the Harman by - 2.75 dB from the target. At the bass region, we've a low shelf filter to curve the region by - 2.75 dB as well to adhere to the Zero:Red.

PR2 (pw zr).png

My Whizzer DA1 arrived eariler this week as well...

images.jpeg

I'm satisfied with the build and sound quality.

As the review's independent measurements confirmed, it's transparent and high fidelity. And that's what I hear, very clean, uncolored sound.

Peace... 😎

Attachments

• PR2 (pw zr).txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #62,029 of 63,916
List of wired KZ models for statistics.
Please inform me if I missed something.

KZ C56R
KZ GR
KZ RX
KZ IE80
kZ DT5
KZ ATE
KZ ATES
KZ ZST
KZ ZST Pro
KZ ZST X
KZ ZSA
KZ ZSE
KZ ZS1
KZ ZS3
KZ ZS3E
KZ ZS5 V1/V2/V3
KZ ZS6 V1/V2
KZ ZS7
KZ ZS10
KZ ZS10 Pro
KZ ZS10 Pro X
KZ ZSR
KZ ES3
KZ ES4
KZ ED3
KZ ED3 Youth
KZ ED9
KZ ED4
KZ ED10
KZ ED11
KZ ED2/EDR2
KZ HDS1
KZ HDS2
KZ HDS3
KZ ED16
KZ EDX
KZ EDX Pro
KZ EDX Ultra
KZ EDXS
KZ AS06
KZ AS10
KZ AS12
KZ AS16
KZ AS16 Pro/Highimp
KZ AS24
KZ BA10
KZ AST
KZ ASF
KZ ASX
KZ ZAS
KZ ZAR
kZ ZNA
KZ ZSN
KZ ZSN Pro
KZ ZSN Pro X
KZ ZSX Terminator
KZ ZAX
KZ ZS4
KZ ESX
KZ Lyra
KZ EDC
KZ EDC X
KZ EDA Bundle (Bass, Balanced, HiFi)
KZ ZEX
KZ ZEX Pro
KZ ZES
KZ PR1/HIFI
KZ PR1 Pro
KZ PR2 V1/V2
KZ DQ6
KZ DQ6S
KZ DQS
KZ D-Fi
KZ EDS
KZ LingLong
KZ ZVX
KZ VZ10 ?
(Fairly new release though)

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #62,030 of 63,916
I agree with you about the ZS7. I think you may have a faulty BA10 as it uses the same BAs as the ZS7 (except the bass driver) and sounds similar in the mids and treble. The BA10's bass is more DD-like than many BAs but is tighter and faster than the DD in the ZS7.The ZS7, though, has superb sub bass. All this is my personal experience, of course!
These are easily my favorite KZs to this date as well. ZS7 was a Campfire Killer, and BA10's bass had surprisingly enough boom but short decay, still displayed BA bass characteristics.

The fact their both 'square' FULL metal design, would put these newer model shells to shame!

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #62,031 of 63,916
KZ VZ10 ?
(Fairly new release though)
It's complicated: nominały it's Joyodio VZ10.

These are easily my favorite KZs to this date as well. ZS7 was a Campfire Killer, and BA10's bass had surprisingly enough boom but short decay, still displayed BA bass characteristics.

The fact their both 'square' FULL metal design, would put these newer model shells to shame!
I do not have preference: metal or non metal, but few latest were full metal build too: Zvx, D-Fi.

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #62,032 of 63,916
It's complicated: nominały it's Joyodio VZ10.

I do not have preference: metal or non metal, but few latest were full metal build too: Zvx, D-Fi.
I know, I believe they're probably solid choices. I forgot to mention that I'm tired of lazy 'Reverse Teardrop' design in IEMs. Yes they fit okay, and nothing wrong with them in theory. But I miss the days we got all kinds of shell shapes all the time!

Jun 14, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #62,033 of 63,916
Even more they stated two 22955 but these two BAs that I have, they don't look identical.
Let me name the pair as 'unit', the 'unit' made from two BAs glued together. I see the label only on one visible side, only on top BA. The bottom BA has no label on visible side. And there is two hidden sides in contact I cannot see.
The left earphone has that 'unit' with label toward faceplate, but in right earphone the 'unit' turned upside down - no label toward faceplate (wrong non symmetrical installation).
I can only guess, referring to KZ 22955 photo https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-17419104 , the bottom BA can be KZ 22955, since it has label on other side in compare to KZ 91010 design. So the label can be hidden two contacted sides.
If the installation is not symmetrical and with that poorly 3D printed bracket holding the BAs in place, it can be disastrous. I found out that the bracket inside the AST not being symmetrical left and right and the 30095 is totally blocked due to that. And 30095 and 30095s and also other BAs with an 's' might not be any different from their original as KZ considers them interchangeable. Some non 's' version of the BAs are found inside which are supposed to be 's' versions. I think that is the reason they gave up putting more 's' version of these BAs in the newer sets.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #62,034 of 63,916

Agree 100%. BA10 and ZS7 still the best KZ's ever. I think it is the BA combination of 29689 and 31005 in the mids, the 4 way system and the fact there are no BAs in the nozzle. I think AS10 had the same drivers as the BA10 but in a plastic shell but I have not heard that model. The build of the BA10 and ZS7 has not been surpassed by KZ since.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #62,035 of 63,916
KZ PR2 -
I wonder if there is any sound difference between foam versions and version without foam in front of the driver. I've got the PR2 without it.
(I love the sound of PR2 when amped, it's so smooth but engaging while still clear. It beats Aria , Olina even Kxxs.)

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #62,036 of 63,916
Just a new PR2 EQ profile for your consideration.

I built it a few hours ago, have been listening with it since, and believe it's more tonally balanced and neutral.

I based the EQ profile upon Paul Wasabii's measurements for the Crinacle Zero:Red and the PR2, and the Harman IE 2019 target.

My pinna gain looks closer to the CZR, but it's not. It's merely a high shelf filter curving the Harman by - 2.75 dB from the target. At the bass region, we've a low shelf filter to curve the region by - 2.75 dB as well to adhere to the Zero:Red.

My Whizzer DA1 arrived eariler this week as well...

I'm satisfied with the build and sound quality.

As the review's independent measurements confirmed, it's transparent and high fidelity. And that's what I hear, very clean, uncolored sound.

Peace... 😎

I tried an f.audio ks01 and it was still struggling, so decided to just go all in and get a truthear shio. On high gain that powers them really well. I'll probably get a balanced cable for it then I'm getting 4 vrm. The shio will literally power a Sundara so it's a good investment for when I get back into headphones in the future.

Even with all the power though, I still need to EQ for sure. For me the whole treble range starting from 2k is a bit too much, bringing down just upper treble didn't really help them much for me.

Cornfield chase is a really good example where without EQ things sound a bit weird and unnatural and the high piano note is piercing even when you lower the whole treble range. Not sure exactly where that note falls frequency wise but it's really boosted without EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #62,037 of 63,916
15 days ago I received the KZ pr2 v1 (with damper on the driver). After an initial (very brief) settling in I found myself using them more and more. I don't own particularly expensive iems (penon fan OG is the most expensive) but I find (very sincerely) that I prefer them at the moment to my entire collection. I am using it with silicone tips (kb07: I hate foam) I find it incredibly balanced, with a fast but pleasant bass and very precise but not fatiguing treble.
Honestly, I am sorry that v1 is a unicorn and few can enjoy the incredible qualities of the original version.
Unfortunately, this is a huge missed opportunity for kz

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #62,038 of 63,916
KZ PR2 -
I wonder if there is any sound difference between foam versions and version without foam in front of the driver. I've got the PR2 without it.
(I love the sound of PR2 when amped, it's so smooth but engaging while still clear. It beats Aria , Olina even Kxxs.)
Yes, the biggest difference seems to be in the treble region, where the version with mesh on driver (v1) has less energy, though there's significant unit variance making it difficult to generalize. People mentioned unnatural tonality, weird peaks, and channel imbalance in both versions. Though I do agree that the mids sound amazing, better than Aria and Olina, especially with foam mod.

15 days ago I received the KZ pr2 v1 (with damper on the driver). After an initial (very brief) settling in I found myself using them more and more. I don't own particularly expensive iems (penon fan OG is the most expensive) but I find (very sincerely) that I prefer them at the moment to my entire collection. I am using it with silicone tips (kb07: I hate foam) I find it incredibly balanced, with a fast but pleasant bass and very precise but not fatiguing treble.
Honestly, I am sorry that v1 is a unicorn and few can enjoy the incredible qualities of the original version.
Unfortunately, this is a huge missed opportunity for kz
Congrats on getting hands on v1 at this stage in the lottery. I also have v1 from the first batch, use silicon tips, and have been lamenting KZ's decision to "fix" what worked well and thus deprive people of hearing HBB's tuning contribution (or whatever was actually released under that collab name). There seems to be untapped potential in this planar driver that just begs to be explored without having to resort to amateur user modifications. I wrote to KZ that they shot themselves in the foot (or worse) on this one.

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #62,039 of 63,916
Yes, the biggest difference seems to be in the treble region, where the version with mesh on driver (v1) has less energy, though there's significant unit variance making it difficult to generalize. People mentioned unnatural tonality, weird peaks, and channel imbalance in both versions. Though I do agree that the mids sound amazing, better than Aria and Olina, especially with foam mod.

Congrats on getting hands on v1 at this stage in the lottery. I also have v1 from the first batch, use silicon tips, and have been lamenting KZ's decision to "fix" what worked well and thus deprive people of hearing HBB's tuning contribution (or whatever was actually released under that collab name). There seems to be untapped potential in this planar driver that just begs to be explored without having to resort to amateur user modifications. I wrote to KZ that they shot themselves in the foot (or worse) on this one.
I'm over the moon with mine now I've spent a few days fine tuning them with EQ. If you have the power these can give out a lot of bass as well, although it doesn't have the impact of a DD, it's full of detail and texture.

Everyone's treble region from like 2000hz seems to measure quite differently, especially for V2, I found it's really worth spending time getting the region right with lots and lots of listening.

Before EQ I was happy with the bass but the male vocal had no texture and sounded thin. Plus is some songs T's and S's were sibilant and the upper treble was just a bit odd and have everything a wired timbre. Now I've got them sounding great all across the frequency and they easily sound a lot more than they're purchase price.

I'd genuinely say to look elsewhere if you don't want to EQ though, especially if you're used to better tuning.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #62,040 of 63,916
I got the PR2 and while I like the clarity a lot, the volume out of my LG V30 is too low. This isn't a surprise. So I'm looking to amp up.

The main issue is I don't like portable amps because they're too big or awkward to carry.

I saw Fiio had very small amps (E5 and E6 I think). Would these provide enough additional power, or should I suck it up and get a larger amp like a Fiio or topping roughly the size of a phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back