Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 9, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #61,951 of 64,246
When the KZ guy is adamant on using the stock foam tips then I guess measuring with stock will make for a better proof that they done f++ed up.

Let me share what I did with my PR1 to reduce the treble and increase the lower mid range -

I cut small pieces of a memory foam eartip and inserted deep into the nozzle. Almost covering 70-75% of the driver opening. This reduced the 12KHz plus frequencies by almost 10-12dB without affecting the other ranges much. It's basically similar to what KZ did with the PR2 V1 driver mesh.

I took some normal density packing foam and inserted into the nozzle opening - it helped to reduce the pinna gain and increase the 400-700Hz region. But this will vary a lot depending on how much foam you stuff in there. Can have degrading results if not careful. Some 2mm cubes of foam were perfect for me.

I will send this to my friend who has a coupler to see how it actually graphs but it sounds better and more balanced than the stock one.
Might be a bit hard to replicate. Which specific foam tips did you use? How did you measure the 2mm when cutting? How did you account for foam squishing?

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #61,952 of 64,246
The more I read about the KZ PR2 v1 v2 cases, I'm sure that they are using the same driver with same tuning inside the PR2, just happened that they ran out of the filter, they use another filter or bad implementation of the new filter. The filter on the nozzle is very important and can change the sound a lot, much more than eartips and cables. They can make the low frequencies sounded bloated too. Maybe I want to take the PR2 for the mod purpose.
The nozzle mesh filter doesn't help much with treble and I would even say it makes it sharper. I've tried various density foams and also the Slater alcohol wipe mod and both work much better in this respect. Sure, there is some loss of definition and bloat in the low freqs, and the stage gets compressed but it was artificially boosted in the first place.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #61,953 of 64,246
When the KZ guy is adamant on using the stock foam tips then I guess measuring with stock will make for a better proof that they done f++ed up.

Let me share what I did with my PR1 to reduce the treble and increase the lower mid range -

I cut small pieces of a memory foam eartip and inserted deep into the nozzle. Almost covering 70-75% of the driver opening. This reduced the 12KHz plus frequencies by almost 10-12dB without affecting the other ranges much. It's basically similar to what KZ did with the PR2 V1 driver mesh.

I took some normal density packing foam and inserted into the nozzle opening - it helped to reduce the pinna gain and increase the 400-700Hz region. But this will vary a lot depending on how much foam you stuff in there. Can have degrading results if not careful. Some 2mm cubes of foam were perfect for me.

I will send this to my friend who has a coupler to see how it actually graphs but it sounds better and more balanced than the stock one.

Feel free to share pictures.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #61,954 of 64,246
Might be a bit hard to replicate. Which specific foam tips did you use? How did you measure the 2mm when cutting? How did you account for foam squishing?
I Used the normal KZ foam tips, I think i mis-marked the size - it was 5mmx5mm. The foam sheet i used was 5mm thick. I just try to cut cubes from the corner.

The foam was thinner than the nozzle so it slipped in easily and I tried to place it by eyeballing it. I carefully made sure not to squeeze it much.

This is all experimental and I will be honest, there is definitely some channel imbalance but with some more precise cutting it can be easily solved. But it's close enough that for music it doesn't bother me much.

These pictures have a slightly longer black foam but I got better results with smaller cuts. This long one reduces pinna gain region too much

Here are some photos @Insider K

IMG20230610000514.jpg
IMG20230610000402.jpg
IMG20230610000338.jpg
IMG20230610000324.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #61,955 of 64,246
I Used the normal KZ foam tips, I think i mis-marked the size - it was 5mmx5mm. The foam sheet i used was 5mm thick. I just try to cut cubes from the corner.

The foam was thinner than the nozzle so it slipped in easily and I tried to place it by eyeballing it. I carefully made sure not to squeeze it much.

This is all experimental and I will be honest, there is definitely some channel imbalance but with some more precise cutting it can be easily solved. But it's close enough that for music it doesn't bother me much.

These pictures have a slightly longer black foam but I got better results with smaller cuts. This long one reduces pinna gain region too much

IMG20230610000514.jpgIMG20230610000402.jpgIMG20230610000338.jpgIMG20230610000324.jpg
You're not using the original mesh nozzle filter, just foam, right? Getting the right density/amount equally on both sides is definitely a delicate balancing act. I'm still testing this, and also have the v2 on the way to compare. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #61,956 of 64,246
You're not using the original mesh nozzle filter, just foam, right? Getting the right density/amount equally on both sides is definitely a delicate balancing act. I'm still testing this, and also have the v2 on the way to compare. Thanks for sharing.

yes, no original nozzle mesh, they almost broke down. The balancing act is the toughest one. I almost got it right once but then I removed it to try a different density foam.
One thing to note - the Red memory foam needs to be close to the driver opening. Otherwise it does not affect the high frequencies much.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #61,957 of 64,246

IMG20230610000514.jpgIMG20230610000402.jpgIMG20230610000338.jpgIMG20230610000324.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Might definitely look into doing similar mod, in general not a fan of PR2's this new paper style grill/filter.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #61,958 of 64,246
Good news, the seller has agreed to replace my PR2 based on the faulty left monitor......or...
...bad news based on the lack of consistency across all units. Who knows what I will end up with - KZ PR2 v3/v2.1?

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #61,960 of 64,246
Don't lose too much hope, after worrying about how bad the treble might be, since getting mine today I'm actually quite happy with the treble. It's not harsh at all with the foam tips and actually much better than my blessing Dusks that had really dry upper treble. I'm just using an apple do gle at the moment and the only thing really lacking is the mid bass. I'm hoping when my new DAC amp arrives it will help with that. I still don't agree with the changes made without letting people know though.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #61,962 of 64,246
I got the PR2 V2 today. In my opinion, these are GREAT balanced headphones. No sibilants, springy bass, not exaggerated, balanced in the whole band. The high tones do not stand out over the entire band in any way. Im listen to them with balanced cables and FiiO KA3.
I do wonder if they've continued to make adjustments after all the drama. The manufacture date on mine was only about 10 days ago, so it's possible things have improved since they first removed the mesh. Time will tell I guess

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #61,964 of 64,246
Good news, the seller has agreed to replace my PR2 based on the faulty left monitor......or...
...bad news based on the lack of consistency across all units. Who knows what I will end up with - KZ PR2 v3/v2.1?
Congrats, good luck in the lottery. The revisions could improve as feedback kicks in, hypothetically.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back