Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #61,816 of 63,916
A very good budget Connexant chipset, typically on a brighter side - a nice synergy with darker single DDs. CX31193 pro is one of the most common, then JM06 series.

JM06 pro is a great implementation of CX31993 with a more powerful amp. A lot of other JCAlly offerings to explore as well.

Other DACs under $20 to consider are Muse M1 and Moondrop Click.

Arguably, it pays off to invest $50-$100 into DACs.
JCAlly would offer the best bang for the buck in this range as well.
Tempotec DACs are also great, E44 being my personal favourite.
Pethaps. IBasso DC03 pro, if your phone is not Samsung.

P. S. Edited for typos
Hey also, what do you think of the Realtek ALC5686. which do you think is better between that and the CX?

Jun 3, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #61,817 of 63,916
Hey also, what do you think of the Realtek ALC5686. which do you think is better between that and the CX?
ALC5686 is a bit more "plain vanilla" to my limited perception (opinions can differ)
Muse M1 does have 5686, and Click is rumoured to use it as well.
If you use balanced, I really liked Keyson 2.5 ALC5686 (they have 4.4), even if it may be not true balanced.

You can also look into Whizzer DACs as cost-effective ESS implementation at $30 - I like DA1, vs. "cube" version a bit more, but both are nice and different - a rabbit hole wide open...
Wiser HiFiers, like @baskingshark would advise on simply getting top M15 instead of a bunch of different 'budget" DACs - a very good valid point, but I am personally just a sucker for flavours and synergies, and definitely not buying into the notion of "TOTLs" (it is journey not destination, and it should be about music not devices).
A simple old CCA CA4 with BHD DAC is enough for me to totally enjoy my music, while buying on other people's advice (other than T800!) did not work for me - so please definitely treat my limited advice accordingly.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #61,818 of 63,916
I think I was a person responsible for initially promoting the JM6 Pro as a good match for the PR2; I run my mouth quite a bit on audio related social media channels.

Yes, I did notice an improvement with it over the 1Vrms Apple dongle. The sound is more open, dynamic and impactful with the JM6 Pro.

However, a trusted source informed me of the following last night:

Whizzer DA1: Review and measurements

While it's nearly double the cost of JM6 Pro, it's more powerful at 2Vrms and 70mW into 32ohms, with less distortion. It's based upon the ESS Sabre ES9270 chip.

It supports an inline microphone, like the JM6 Pro, which is important to me because I will be making and taking calls with the PR2 attached to my phone.

I thought I'd check it out for myself and ordered one.

If it pans out the way the measurements indicate that it will, I think we'll have found the cleanest, most powerful, least expensive DAC-AMP dongle available with microphone support. I'll know for sure in ~2 weeks.
I went for the f.audio ks01 in the end, hopefully will turn out to be a good choice.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #61,821 of 63,916
Ok, so
Reading this and watching a recent YouTube review that measured the meshless version and talked about the sibilance, I'm now really genuinely pi**ed off, especially my sets have just had the bogus tracking code from AliExpress after a month of waiting which means I can't cancel them now. Why t f would they do this?? Has anyone tagged HBB or Tyvan to say anything about this, apart from the bs statement that they said this wouldn't affect the sound? Has HBB said anything at all? I was really hyped when more and more of you got your sets and confirmed the original tuning was excellent, now I'm just really angry.
I used the Aftersound measurement to generate a new EQ profile for the meshless PR2s, and I confirmed by ear through comparisons with the old EQ that the tuning is indeed different. This profile should fix the treble tizziness that people were hearing. And I'd just like to restate that for what you're getting for your money, these are still absolutely worth it. I just think that EQ is more necessary now for full enjoyment.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 064450.png

Attachments

• KZ x HBB PR2 Filters.txt
    455 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #61,822 of 63,916
I’ve tried Dunu Candy (S) and S&S (M) so far.

Both sound very good but I think prefer the S&S since it seems to be more dimensional. The Candy tips seem to emphasize the bass a bit more.

I have so many other tips to try out but I spent last night just listening with the S&S tips. I was really satisfied with this combination.

Yeah, this is the one i was aiming too.
it was recommended by KopiOkaya for Planar iems,
I like how it sound with the included foamies but i don't like to use the foamies. Dunu S&S might be good replacement for Foamies.

It short use with my PR2 have been been switching from Final-E (causing it to be abit warmer and a bit "congested"), to KBear08 (somehow boost the bass and let it a bit loose). to AEX07 which i'm currently using, normally it cleans out the sound to a point it remove the "air" make it abit unnaturally clean but seems to plays pretty well with PR2.

---

KopiOkaya Dunu S&S Eartips review

1685853887920.png

Dunu S&S Eartips
Bore size: regular
Stem length: regular
Feel: rubbery and elastic
Bass: 4.00
Midrange: 4.50
Treble: 4.00
Soundstage: 5.00
Vocal presence: 4.00

The first time I tried these eartips was when I auditioned the Dunu Talos. The S&S eartips was part of their stock accessories. I immediately fell in love with these eartips. It presents clean yet balanced sound signature with a large soundstage, both width and depth, and good imaging. Perfect match for planar IEMs (these are attached permanently to my Timeless and Timeless AE). My only complain is they have an awkward fit and can be uncomfortable for some people. Comes in a plastic storage case with 3 pairs of your chosen size. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #61,823 of 63,916
I haven't bought any KZ IEM for quite some time, my last KZ was DQ6, I wanna buy ZVX for my laptop just for movies, TV series etc. but I have read about QC issues with KZ IEMs lately, like one side stops working, faceplate comes off due to less glue used etc. etc.
I haven't had any QC issues in my many many years of buying KZ. Except for ZS5 v1 after I dropped it.
the DQ6S however... glad that the furore made KZ reinvent themselves

But it also opened our eyes since other manufacturers were also using additional drivers in the same exact way as KZ did

Well, that's probably why I took the time to mention the milliwatts into Ohms figures. But feel free to overlook that.
Impedance sources NOT power output.

High impedance sources mess with the sonics of PR2 a lot

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #61,827 of 63,916
Have it your way, not that I care... 😆
I mean if you want to look like a idiot sure go ahead...
You can't override high impedance sources with power regardless of how much there is if the driver is affected by high source impedance.
I have high impedance source high voltage swing amps that sound worse on said drivers. If you're unhappy with that then electronics and audio is not a strong suit for you

Is it possible to use a standard 2PIN cable (0.78mm) with the PR2?

Kind of, just be careful. I've used 0.78s on newer KZs (and other iems even, not just KZ, they use the qdc connector whatever it means) and i've broken the outer plastic doing so

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #61,830 of 63,916
ALC5686 is a bit more "plain vanilla" to my limited perception (opinions can differ)
Muse M1 does have 5686, and Click is rumoured to use it as well.
If you use balanced, I really liked Keyson 2.5 ALC5686 (they have 4.4), even if it may be not true balanced.

You can also look into Whizzer DACs as cost-effective ESS implementation at $30 - I like DA1, vs. "cube" version a bit more, but both are nice and different - a rabbit hole wide open...
Wiser HiFiers, like @baskingshark would advise on simply getting top M15 instead of a bunch of different 'budget" DACs - a very good valid point, but I am personally just a sucker for flavours and synergies, and definitely not buying into the notion of "TOTLs" (it is journey not destination, and it should be about music not devices).
A simple old CCA CA4 with BHD DAC is enough for me to totally enjoy my music, while buying on other people's advice (other than T800!) did not work for me - so please definitely treat my limited advice accordingly.
Got the Dac today. Vast improvement over my phone. I can now use the PR2's on about quarter of the volume and they sound better.

I agree with you. I don't buy the most expensive equipment. The PR2's have now replaced my KZ anniversaries. Both are good IEM's but the PR2 just sound more accurate.

Glad i threw in on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back