Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #60,901 of 64,394
InterestingšŸ¤”
Is that assumption based on visual inspection or based on some sort of testing?
I have tested the KZ 22955 with the filter inside the nozzle. The material is foam and functions as a low-pass filter.
All the KZ units I had opened and measured, KZ usually drives the 22955 full range with only a filter to cut off the treble region.

I don't have e audio 22955 but I have bought E audio 29689 for a DIY project and is pretty good.
29689 Single BA Green .jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #60,904 of 64,394
** This is a repost... my thread is in IEM topic but i was ask to post this in the KZ Thread**

I know i am about to talk about pretty old stuff, probably nobody cares. I have a pair of KZ ZS5 which bought about 6 or 7 years back for my portable listening when I go around. They are still with me with upgraded cables and sounds pretty good, but i seldom used them after the covid crisis because i am not required to go around the country as much as i do.

Today i did something out of curiosity and ended up with amazing results. I have a Schiit Asgard 2 which i use with my HD6XX almost everyday. I hooked up the KZ ZS5 in low gain mode and played some music. WOW!!! i mean super WOW!!! i didn't know that KZ ZS5 could scale up so well with better amplification than connecting it directly to the phone or laptop.

Has anyone tried amping KZ ZS5? I never knew they needed this much power to shine so bright!

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #60,906 of 64,394
I have tested the KZ 22955 with the filter inside the nozzle. The material is foam and functions as a low-pass filter.
All the KZ units I had opened and measured, KZ usually drives the 22955 full range with only a filter to cut off the treble region.

I don't have e audio 22955 but I have bought E audio 29689 for a DIY project and is pretty good.
29689 Single BA Green .jpg
Have you compared the graph of the e audio with knowles' or KZ's?

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #60,908 of 64,394
Does that statement include the PR1 Pro? Been thinking of letting go of my Timeless due to a couple of things and filling that place in the box with the PR1s.
I'd call the tuning of PR1 Pro a bit more "boring", flat vs. the PR1 Hifi Edition (psychoacustically, when listening and experiencing the music)

PR1 Hifi has that certain something which makes listening pretty much exciting.

I wonder if others "feel" the same.

Music ultimately is there to experience and feel - not to analyze and analytically listen to, dissect

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #60,909 of 64,394
B
I'd call the tuning of PR1 Pro a bit more "boring", flat vs. the PR1 Hifi Edition (psychoacustically, when listening and experiencing the music)

PR1 Hifi has that certain something which makes listening pretty much exciting.

I wonder if others "feel" the same.

Music ultimately is there to experience and feel - not to analyze and analytically listen to, dissect
To me, the main difference between PR1 HiFi and Pro in bass.
For HiFi, KZ decided to have an extended treble compensated by the elevated bass. Not an unreasonable decision.
Then for Pro, the bass was dialed back to sound more contained.
The preference will be dependent on the music choice.
To me, Pro feels more natural for classical music, while HiFi sometimes feel overwhelming with the bass that is somewhat drone-like.
For bass-heavy genres, HiFi can be preferred.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #60,910 of 64,394
B

To me, the main difference between PR1 HiFi and Pro in bass.
For HiFi, KZ decided to have an extended treble compensated by the elevated bass. Not an unreasonable decision.
Then for Pro, the bass was dialed back to sound more contained.
The preference will be dependent on the music choice.
To me, Pro feels more natural for classical music, while HiFi sometimes feel overwhelming with the bass that is somewhat drone-like.
For bass-heavy genres, HiFi can be preferred.
I don't have KZ PR1-Hifi,
But my KZ PR1 Pro have "enough" bass for my rock music preference.
Kick drums punchy and speedy. Male vocal is soemwhat meaty enough for low growling sounds.
The bass is punchier than my HE400i (2020) planar headphone
PR1 Pro is a bit dry and a bit harsher compared to HE400i (2020) tough.

I hope PR2 is a bit lushier and smoother.
From the wording of the missing KZ-Rep, "Planar is the true endgame for IEM".
it seems KZ is planning on using Planar for their True Flagship.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #60,912 of 64,394
Hey there KZ Fans, just passing through but did want to say these are still AWESOME :grin: :v:

Shanzing 7.JPG

@nofacemonster That is exactly why so many loved the 5's but all KZ sound better with amplification IMO. These 7's as you can see are coming off a Tomahawk attached to my M2. The 5's as well as these 2 ZST's sound far superior with amplification (Colorfly C3 stacked with Topping NX1s) in the below shot :wink:

KZ Party.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #60,913 of 64,394
I just ordered a Celest Gumiho since some random Walmart seller had the white one (with logo) in stock and I don't gotta wait two months for it. I saw it last year and thought it looked super cool but put it off because I found out it wasn't a "real" Planar in there.

Then I started learning about the SPD and it seems super amusing. Now that all these other manufacturers are coming out with them, I'm hoping there will be a KZ version. Actually I can't imagine that there won't be one at some point.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #60,914 of 64,394
I don't have KZ PR1-Hifi,
But my KZ PR1 Pro have "enough" bass for my rock music preference.
Kick drums punchy and speedy. Male vocal is soemwhat meaty enough for low growling sounds.
The bass is punchier than my HE400i (2020) planar headphone
PR1 Pro is a bit dry and a bit harsher compared to HE400i (2020) tough.

I hope PR2 is a bit lushier and smoother.
From the wording of the missing KZ-Rep, "Planar is the true endgame for IEM".
it seems KZ is planning on using Planar for their True Flagship.
KZ PR1 Pro are grear.
On a drier side and with treble that may need to be contained for some - true. Then it is easy to put some foam and attenuate it a bit rather then squeezing what is little there with an equalizer.

I was comparing recently TRN X7 and BA15, and then I put PR1 Pro on, and it felt to be in a different class (OK. BA15 is competitive and interesting, but 30095s are 30095s, and what was it initial asking price?)

Then PR1 pro and AS16 pro complement each other very well. Celest are also nicely complimentary to those two. Comparing them three was a really enjoyable experience a couple of month ago :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #60,915 of 64,394
I also tested the KZ MST drive full range inside ZEX Pro inside the shell with all other drivers and crossover desolder.
That measurement is in alignment with Lafitearā€™s MST claim! Wow great verification.
019C176B-5D39-4CC5-9110-A15D63FEFB8C.jpeg

I just posted ZEXā€™s what-if scenario siblings Lafitear LM1ā€™s OOTB impression
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17420492

LM1 is unrestricted MST+ lower bass shelf of KZā€™s. It utilized full potential of MST driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back