Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #60,377 of 63,917
Interesting, upon asking about PR1 pro in KZ discord, their response is this.

Yes, new type of eartips, and better cable
For old user who bought the old version of PR1 (HIFI edition/ balanced version) or PLA13 , all enjoy half of price to buy PR1 PRO
PR1 pro price will be a little bit higher than old version PR1, because after upgrade the performance, the pro version requires more stricter to the planar material, and requires the technical , components assembled to be more accurate

PRO version will be more easier to be drove, improve the sibilants and vocal. Vocal will be more at center than the previous version. In this cases, the sounds signature feel more relaxed and nature.

Don’t need to change our eartips to others if you guy test the graph, because the new type of memory eartips is already good enough. If will causes more difference than official graph if change to other eartips. And this type of eartips also can improve the sibilants as well

The faceplate color will be also different , the last version is matt silver color, the new version will be glossy shiny silver color

I ask whether this is the second gen planar, and its not answered (yet)
It seems to be more than just cable and eartips change
heh, easier to driver, more center vocals, more relaxed and natural sounding... seems all good direction

and for all its discord debacle on "hobbyist" graphing, it seems KZ try to upgrade their eartips and cable to ensure 3rd party graph will be more similar with their official graph...

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #60,378 of 63,917
It has been burned-in for 100 hours.
It's harder to drive than Pla13.
I have no problem with bass.
Treble was powerful, but it was too much, causing a dissonance.
Overall, I couldn't bear to finish listening to even one song.
I might be wrong or maybe there's some defect with it. I still prefer Pla13. Only my opinion. :smiley_cat:
I'm pretty busy these days. Even picking up an EE Odyssey that arrived yesterday. But I had to postpone it today.
However, I hope everyone enjoys listening to the music. :smile:

lazy man / A man who rarely uses social media :joy: (Sorry, I may not answer much.)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #60,379 of 63,917
Default timeless have 3 dampers, thats why they sounded :
1. overdampened
2. bloated / trapped bass
3. wrecked imaging
4. weird timbre because of the dampers took out the tail of notes too fast

I was impressed by details at first time hearing Timeless, but like "wow these are great with its details, but weird soundstage and wrecked imaging". But as I have modded lot of IEMs, I know that there is something wrong with the damper and I opened them up :
there are 3 dampers
Behind the grill, there is nylon mesh damper like most chifi, this have advantage to reduce high mids from 2khz until 8khz with most affected frequencies are 2-4khz (I did my homework with lot of dampers and measured them with coupler) I know they want to reduce 2.5khz from the driver.
Secondly there is foam damper below that nylon damper, the foam is have lower density than the "medium density foam", and I guess the reason they are using this is for tame the 7-8khz boost that caused sibilance.
And the last damper in on the driver, I didn't open the driver so I just leave this.

Sound coming from the planar driver, dampened by the foam damper on the driver, and flow go to foam (2nd damper) which put on the nozzle that blocks everything, with the 3rd damper attached to it also, the nylon mesh damper, edges are blunted, imaging is wrecked, still they have details but they are overdampened

So reverse engineering method and what I did is :
1. take off the grill
2. take off the nylon mesh under the grill
3. take off the foam under the nylon mesh with tweezer gently (don't push it down or it will be difficult to get it)
4. change the foam with medium density foam but sideways so there are holes on right and left, but enough to absorb the 7-8khz peaks
5. close the nozzle with mesh 500 or tanchjim hana / tanya filter with little, very little cut out on side to make airflow

With that, the airflow is good, 7-8khz peaks are handled by foam and last the 2.5khz peak is tamed by tanchjim filter with small hole to keep airflow is good. Thus, the modded Timeless have more details, better timbre, better bass obviously, large soundstage to the left and right (depth is average still), and sharp imaging (but with less depth so not quite 3D or holographic but very precise layering to the left and right). Not perfect still due nature of the driver, but much better especially on bass and imaging.

I owe pictures and steps since last time, think I will make a dedicated thread for mods
Hmm, will think over it - less depth worries me. Thank you.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #60,380 of 63,917
Hmm, will think over it - less depth worries me. Thank you.

No i meant depth isnt less than original. Better than default but they don't have great Soundstage depth from the start (more like wide stretched oval shape)
Sorry for my confusing words.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #60,381 of 63,917
Alright everyone our band is buying new iems for the 11.11 sale.

I'm currently in love with my CCA CA16 that unfortunately went out on me, so I planned to go with it. For my drumming on stage and fit, they've been the best kz/CCA I've used.

Should I look for any others while I'm at it? I have KZ DQ6 and CCA CRN also right now, DQ6 being close 2nd to the Ca16.

Just looking for last minute opinions/recommendations. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #60,382 of 63,917

I'm currently in love with my CCA CA16 that unfortunately went out on me, so I planned to go with it. For my drumming on stage and fit, they've been the best kz/CCA I've used.

Should I look for any others while I'm at it? I have KZ DQ6 and CCA CRN also right now, DQ6 being close 2nd to the Ca16.

If you like DQ6S or DQ6, you should try BGVP Scale (2DD) and BGVP Scale Pro (1BA+1DD). Considering the price. :thumbsup:Choose as you like. :smile_cat:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #60,383 of 63,917

Audiosense AQ0 is about half price. TinHifi T2 DLC for about $35 (TinHifi Global Store), probably not the best choice for monitoring though, as that type of shell isn't so good for isolation. The IKKO OH2 is $37 at the IKKO Lot store, mid-centric so it would suit vocals and guitars. KZ ZS10 Pro X is supposed to be pretty good (I haven't heard it myself), it should have better isolation than TRN ST1 as it doesn't have all metal shell, also less fatiguing. Coupons are worth checking for and also the $3 rebate per $30 is worth making orders up to get better discount (only up to $90). You still have a day and a bit left, happy hunting! :L3000:

CCA CA16 is still available AFAIK.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #60,384 of 63,917

Compare and contrast using reviews in here, to the sister company with all-BA:
KZ AS16 Pro.

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #60,386 of 63,917

The budget CCA CSN has phenomenal bass with a capable DD and a good BA to top off the treble nicely. It is a criminally underrated set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back