Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #59,866 of 63,917
I did a slight modification to my KZ ZES. The stock grills seem to have issues sometimes where the sound gets unbalanced after a while. After taking them, I noticed that the grills had a lot of glue in them, so I think somehow that may have been affecting the sound balance. It was very random.

Anyway, I took them out and applied a bit of paper towel to them. Sound seems to be more open now, more bass and a bit more forward vocals.
https://moisescardona.me/improve-the-sound-of-the-kz-zes-iem-by-applying-a-piece-of-paper-towel/

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #59,867 of 63,917
I did a slight modification to my KZ ZES. The stock grills seem to have issues sometimes where the sound gets unbalanced after a while. After taking them, I noticed that the grills had a lot of glue in them, so I think somehow that may have been affecting the sound balance. It was very random.

Anyway, I took them out and applied a bit of paper towel to them. Sound seems to be more open now, more bass and a bit more forward vocals.
https://moisescardona.me/improve-the-sound-of-the-kz-zes-iem-by-applying-a-piece-of-paper-towel/
Not sure if it's the same but on certain IEMs after extended listening sessions I'd get an issue with moisture blocking up the filters/grills.
Would cause an imbalance like you describe.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #59,868 of 63,917
Alright guys not gonna lie. I just about regret spending the money on my custom mold Ultimate Ears UE5 dual drivers.

Yesterday we played a huge show and I used them..... They made my drums and the bass guitar nearly distort. Hardly any bass to these.

Put on my CCA CA16s, and they absolutely rumble. I really love the molded fit, but these particular CCAs are nearly a perfect fit for me. They almost feel as good as my customs.

Even the dual and single driver KZs beat these UE sound wise. You'd really think the big names were better better, but I've officially accepted KZ and CCA just sound MUCH better, and the price is just incredible.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #59,869 of 63,917
Alright guys not gonna lie. I just about regret spending the money on my custom mold Ultimate Ears UE5 dual drivers.

Yesterday we played a huge show and I used them..... They made my drums and the bass guitar nearly distort. Hardly any bass to these.

Put on my CCA CA16s, and they absolutely rumble. I really love the molded fit, but these particular CCAs are nearly a perfect fit for me. They almost feel as good as my customs.

Even the dual and single driver KZs beat these UE sound wise. You'd really think the big names were better better, but I've officially accepted KZ and CCA just sound MUCH better, and the price is just incredible.
You just answered my question about customs. I've always wondered if it's worth the high prices. I think the state of the technology has caught up to them.
The other day I listened to my old ED9. In just a few seconds I realized how far KZ has progressed.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #59,870 of 63,917
Despite the rising costs of everything else KZ/CCA etc keeping their prices relatively low is a breath of fresh air.

Had a quick listen with AS16 pro whilst it was burning in. For my first all BA set I was impressed with the bass. Mid clarity was also a joy. I can tell I will have fun going through my library with them.

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #59,872 of 63,917
I really wanna try the AS16 Pro now, but I think my CCA CA16 are doing a good enough job for what I need on stage.

May eventually try them though with the rave reviews they're getting.
I'm expecting the AS16 pro to arrive soon, CCA CA16 will be an interesting comparison. I have a funny feeling the ASF is going out to pasture.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #59,874 of 63,917
Are the Comply tips still the recommended favorite nowadays and will fit the CCAs?
CCA CA16 has a smaller nozzle so 4.5 mm tips tend to come off. The treble is already pretty subdued on the CA16 so foams aren't a good match. KBEAR 08 tips work really well. Some people have used SpinFit CP800.

I use Tennmak foams instead of comply. Tougher, last longer and cheaper. They only do 4.5mm and 4.9mm though.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #59,876 of 63,917
For anyone looking for an affordable 4.4mm balanced cable with QDC connectors, doesn't have preformed ear hooks, and ships from Amazon in the US, I like this one by FDBRO for $14:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D6HZN5Y/

It matches my black AS16 Pro well, and I find it more comfortable than cables with preformed ear hooks. I ordered one of the last cables in 2.5mm (now out of stock), looks like there is one last 4.4mm in stock.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #59,877 of 63,917
For anyone looking for an affordable 4.4mm balanced cable with QDC connectors, doesn't have preformed ear hooks, and ships from Amazon in the US, I like this one by FDBRO for $14:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D6HZN5Y/

It matches my black AS16 Pro well, and I find it more comfortable than cables with preformed ear hooks. I ordered one of the last cables in 2.5mm (now out of stock), looks like there is one last 4.4mm in stock.
I have a question. Isn't a more powerful balanced connection in the case of ultrasensitive KZ AS16 pro counterproductive? I ask this because many reviewers and users, on the contrary, recommend using an impedance adapter (18 or 30 Ohm) using the opposite effect to improve the sound profile.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #59,878 of 63,917
I have a question. Isn't a more powerful balanced connection in the case of ultrasensitive KZ AS16 pro counterproductive? I ask this because many reviewers and users, on the contrary, recommend using an impedance adapter (18 or 30 Ohm) using the opposite effect to improve the sound profile.
Thats 2 different things. What people are doing with the impedance adapter, is increasing the output impedance of the source to better match what KZ actually tuned the AS16 Pro on. (note that this is only a factor for multi-driver + lower impedance + uneven impedance curve iems, a single DD for example wont have this factor to keep in mind.)
What you are thinking of is the output POWER. Not the Impedance.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #59,879 of 63,917
Thats 2 different things. What people are doing with the impedance adapter, is increasing the output impedance of the source to better match what KZ actually tuned the AS16 Pro on. (note that this is only a factor for multi-driver + lower impedance + uneven impedance curve iems, a single DD for example wont have this factor to keep in mind.)
What you are thinking of is the output POWER. Not the Impedance.
Thank you for the explanation, I won't go to sleep tonight so stupid 🤪

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #59,880 of 63,917
Thank you for the explanation, I won't go to sleep tonight so stupid 🤪
You can use this site to check the impedance curve.
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/param14.php#gsc.tab=0

1661200924627.png

1661200979172.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back