Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #59,596 of 63,914
1657013465845.png

They do advertise it supports aptX HD. The reason I don't buy this BT adapter is because:

1. I own the KZ ZS7 with A paragraph pin, which is not compatible

2. I already own a BT adapter, the grey KZ BT 5.0 cable, which works fantastic and sounds amazing.

3. Also, a TWS is just better: no adapter, no extra stuff, just the IEM and that's it. I used the KZ ZS7 + BT cable, but a TWS beats it when commuting and traveling, I don't like to carry extra stuff or big boxes, and also wearing just a regular IEM beats wearing an IEM + an adapter.
Actually I'm pretty sure the "HD" in their marketing materials stands for "HD Pure Sound Quality", and not AptX HD. So it's more of a sales gimmick, it seems.
AptX HD is not mentioned anywhere else in the AZ09 Pro specification.

1657016082972.png

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #59,597 of 63,914
1657013465845.png

They do advertise it supports aptX HD. The reason I don't buy this BT adapter is because:

1. I own the KZ ZS7 with A paragraph pin, which is not compatible

2. I already own a BT adapter, the grey KZ BT 5.0 cable, which works fantastic and sounds amazing.

3. Also, a TWS is just better: no adapter, no extra stuff, just the IEM and that's it. I used the KZ ZS7 + BT cable, but a TWS beats it when commuting and traveling, I don't like to carry extra stuff or big boxes, and also wearing just a regular IEM beats wearing an IEM + an adapter.

The message should read "APT-X, HD Pure Sound Quality" (an addition comma between APT-X and HD). I can confirm my purchase of AZ09 PRO in May does not support APTX-HD or APTX Adaptive, even it has BT5.2; it supports ONLY APTX (classic).

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #59,598 of 63,914
The message should read "APT-X, HD Pure Sound Quality" (an addition comma between APT-X and HD). I can confirm my purchase of AZ09 PRO in May does not support APTX-HD or APTX Adaptive, even it has BT5.2; it supports ONLY APTX (classic).
I can't for the life of me remember where, but I can recall mention of firmware upgrades for a BT product including support for additional codecs. The same BT chip is in other products that also support Aptx HD and Aptx LL. So it's analogous to having a ray tracing graphics card and playing a game that doesn't support that feature. The way the advertising was presented is very misleading, if the advertising was from a western manufacturer their would be potential repercussions. But this product was from a Chinese company. People who put the "and nasty" back in "cheap".

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #59,599 of 63,914
but I can recall mention of firmware upgrades for a BT product including support for additional codecs.
yes, that is possible. As codecs are purely software based.

Jul 6, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #59,600 of 63,914
Hi everyone. I know the BA KZs aren't flavour of the month here. But I just thought I'd mention something I've found to be a good repeatable combination.

So, my favorite love / hate IEMs are the KZ ASX. I actually bought them late one night thinking I was buying the AST. Anyways, after reading about the difference between the two I'm pretty sure it was a happy mistake.

I've had 2x pairs of ZS7s and I loved them, and they were really good. I've had some of the cheaper KZs as well. Since I got my not so loved (quality control issues, not sound quality issues) ASXs I've been concentrating my attention on all BA architecture IEMS.

I love bass music. The resolution of the all BA IEM really has a nuance, detail, power and something I've not heard but in the best sound systems from large dance parties (yes the old days). Actually, I havent heard as good a bass as I have with these. Im on the fence with the ASF Ive got. Need to spend more time with them. The as12 was good however Im treble sensitive. But they are good. Definitely not screamers like the old ZS6 were.

Anyway, here's the combo. ESS Sabre DACs and all BA IEMs with good bass drivers. I'm onto my 3rd ESS Sabre DAC with IEMS and I have another desktop Sabre DAC. Nothing fancy, but by golly they are a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, 2x DACs have died 9018K based, and I was reluctant to buy another expensive DAC, but when the Tempotec Sonata HD II came on sale. Trust me I was watching that shipping tracking page like a hawk :eye: . Its good. It's definitely got good bass resolution. Smooth treble. Effortless bass extension (albeit with driving IEMs). Its great. I can't compare it to the other more expensive and powerful ESS Sabre DAC headphone amps I've owned in the past. Because they died. It's much more listenable than my, reportedly respected, Cirrus based dongle with all the better qualities mentioned above.

These dongles are built to a price point. This Tempotec cannot be used with powered speakers (studio monitors). Also, it has a quirk where you put the 3.5mm jack in first, then attach the dongle to the source. It really is sensitive to earths in this respect. It also produces noise when, say plugged in to a laptop, and the laptop is charging. More so than other ESS Headphone DACs I've owned in the past.

Small sample, but this combo works for me. As a portable solution it's great, I'm going to stick with it.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #59,601 of 63,914
I can't for the life of me remember where, but I can recall mention of firmware upgrades for a BT product including support for additional codecs. The same BT chip is in other products that also support Aptx HD and Aptx LL. So it's analogous to having a ray tracing graphics card and playing a game that doesn't support that feature. The way the advertising was presented is very misleading, if the advertising was from a western manufacturer their would be potential repercussions. But this product was from a Chinese company. People who put the "and nasty" back in "cheap".
Actually I'm pretty sure the "HD" in their marketing materials stands for "HD Pure Sound Quality", and not AptX HD. So it's more of a sales gimmick, it seems.
AptX HD is not mentioned anywhere else in the AZ09 Pro specification.

Jesus... if they are EFF******* playing at these games of putting a standard known tech name such as apt-X HD, to mean "apt-X, HD sound", they are a bunch of c****. God how I would love to regulate and forbid in the sound market the nonsense "HiFi" or "HD sound" tags and alike. I love the KZ ZS7 and the price-quality of KZ, but you simply DO NOT play those games unless you are a meme company. What daaaa effff...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #59,603 of 63,914
Hi everyone. I know the BA KZs aren't flavour of the month here. But I just thought I'd mention something I've found to be a good repeatable combination.

So, my favorite love / hate IEMs are the KZ ASX. I actually bought them late one night thinking I was buying the AST. Anyways, after reading about the difference between the two I'm pretty sure it was a happy mistake.

I've had 2x pairs of ZS7s and I loved them, and they were really good. I've had some of the cheaper KZs as well. Since I got my not so loved (quality control issues, not sound quality issues) ASXs I've been concentrating my attention on all BA architecture IEMS.

I love bass music. The resolution of the all BA IEM really has a nuance, detail, power and something I've not heard but in the best sound systems from large dance parties (yes the old days). Actually, I havent heard as good a bass as I have with these. Im on the fence with the ASF Ive got. Need to spend more time with them. The as12 was good however Im treble sensitive. But they are good. Definitely not screamers like the old ZS6 were.

Anyway, here's the combo. ESS Sabre DACs and all BA IEMs with good bass drivers. I'm onto my 3rd ESS Sabre DAC with IEMS and I have another desktop Sabre DAC. Nothing fancy, but by golly they are a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, 2x DACs have died 9018K based, and I was reluctant to buy another expensive DAC, but when the Tempotec Sonata HD II came on sale. Trust me I was watching that shipping tracking page like a hawk :eye: . Its good. It's definitely got good bass resolution. Smooth treble. Effortless bass extension (albeit with driving IEMs). Its great. I can't compare it to the other more expensive and powerful ESS Sabre DAC headphone amps I've owned in the past. Because they died. It's much more listenable than my, reportedly respected, Cirrus based dongle with all the better qualities mentioned above.

These dongles are built to a price point. This Tempotec cannot be used with powered speakers (studio monitors). Also, it has a quirk where you put the 3.5mm jack in first, then attach the dongle to the source. It really is sensitive to earths in this respect. It also produces noise when, say plugged in to a laptop, and the laptop is charging. More so than other ESS Headphone DACs I've owned in the past.

Small sample, but this combo works for me. As a portable solution it's great, I'm going to stick with it.
I have to agree with you. I have BA10, AS12 and AST. All of these sound great via my Xduoo X20 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X, both of which have ESS DACs. I also rate the ZS7 highly, that sounds great too! I have not heard the ASX though. Even better, though, are the Hidizs MD4 (4BA). Absolutely superb transparent sound.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #59,604 of 63,914
I have to agree with you. I have BA10, AS12 and AST. All of these sound great via my Xduoo X20 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X, both of which have ESS DACs. I also rate the ZS7 highly, that sounds great too! I have not heard the ASX though. Even better, though, are the Hidizs MD4 (4BA). Absolutely superb transparent sound.
Revisit my AS12 and listening to Usher tiny desk concert, the live music is so delicious and the vocal and bass quality is superbbbbb.
The recording is crazy good in a space like this.
Enjoy...

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #59,605 of 63,914

Interesting, I recently got the SpinFit CP145 for my ZS7 and Hidizs MS4 (not the MD4) and they both seem to sound almost the same. So, I'm using the ZS7 again. The nozzle from my MS4 started to get detached and have to be very careful not to break it. It's still hard to get out, but it seems it may break anyday now.

So I vote for KZ to somehow make a ZS7 Pro model or real successor with its sound signature.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #59,606 of 63,914
Interesting, I recently got the SpinFit CP145 for my ZS7 and Hidizs MS4 (not the MD4) and they both seem to sound almost the same. So, I'm using the ZS7 again. The nozzle from my MS4 started to get detached and have to be very careful not to break it. It's still hard to get out, but it seems it may break anyday now.

So I vote for KZ to somehow make a ZS7 Pro model or real successor with its sound signature.
It will. That's why I don't buy plastic IEMs, they suck, period.

A mechanized piece of heaven like KZ ZS7 is what you need if you want to go truly professional. What KZ ZS7 Pro would have that KZ ZS7 don't have?
I've been using them since their release and I still use them as my daily driver, it's simply top notch quality in all aspects. I don't find them bassy or unbalanced, if that were the case I would have bought another one.

The only thing I don't like about KZ ZS7 is the pin: it's not very common and the mechanism is not that good. A good solid pin like the 7 pin or MMCX would be awesome.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #59,607 of 63,914
It will. That's why I don't buy plastic IEMs, they suck, period.

A mechanized piece of heaven like KZ ZS7 is what you need if you want to go truly professional. What KZ ZS7 Pro would have that KZ ZS7 don't have?
I've been using them since their release and I still use them as my daily driver, it's simply top notch quality in all aspects. I don't find them bassy or unbalanced, if that were the case I would have bought another one.

The only thing I don't like about KZ ZS7 is the pin: it's not very common and the mechanism is not that good. A good solid pin like the 7 pin or MMCX would be awesome.

I think what I'm trying to say is that basically the ZS7 is the only one that has a good bass amount. I find the newer KZ models to have less bass and after a time, I need to reduce the volume because of the treble/peaks. With the ZS7 even with a lower volume, I can still hear the bass. The Hidizs MS4 has a bit more refined instrument clarity that on the ZS7, on some songs the difference may be noticeable. I'm not sure if this may be because the MS4 has the treble driver in the nozzle and the ZS7 has it in the internal chamber with the other BAs. I'm no IEM expert, but a ZS7 Pro could have better instrument detail while keeping the same amount of bass? I'm just saying, I still like them and the CP145 tips made a positive difference.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #59,608 of 63,914
Yes, Interesting, I recently got the SpinFit CP145 for my ZS7 and Hidizs MS4 (not the MD4) and they both seem to sound almost the same. So, I'm using the ZS7 again. The nozzle from my MS4 started to get detached and have to be very careful not to break it. It's still hard to get out, but it seems it may break anyday now.

Yes, the ZS7 is special. It's that 4-way configuration with the 31005 midrange BA, the same as the BA10, another great KZ IEM. As you say there is no BA in the nozzle and the bass is exceptional. I also vote for a ZS7 pro (and a BA10 Pro as well!)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #59,610 of 63,914

I picked the KZ ASF up when they were selling it for $11. The sound was better than I expected given the reviews. Quite fun to listen to, but they weren't very comfortable with the huge wing. Given how thick it was too, I can happily label it as a lead contender for "Worst earphone for sleeping". It almost feels like you have a full sized pair of headphones stuck in your ear. I find the later KZ/CCA semi-custom IEMs to be pretty good, at least they learnt something. Bass was impressive and at least this was a pair that didn't have the KZ overdone treble.

I should probably get them out and have another listen :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back