Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 2, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #59,566 of 63,914
I agree. The original tips are not great for ESX. Wide-bore tips, like Spiral dots, work much better to my ears (each ear anatomy is different though), so ESX is my favourite of the recent batch (I do not have ultra).
The guy pretending to distinguish "LCP" by looking at the driver is pathetic, as most of those reviewers out there reviewing one IEM after another in a rush.
Even more pathetic, IMHO, is regurgitating opinions of those reviewers....
I replace all the tips on my KZ's. They sound twice as good when done so.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #59,567 of 63,914
If you find the KZ ESX to be too dark, try Tennmak Whirlwinds. They have similar shape and length to the new short pattern tips (not starlines), that come included. They are firmer, larger bore and certainly brighten up the treble. As always YMMV.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832433793.html

They do free shipping and their foams are very good too.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #59,568 of 63,914
If you find the KZ ESX to be too dark, try Tennmak Whirlwinds. They have similar shape and length to the new short pattern tips (not starlines), that come included. They are firmer, larger bore and certainly brighten up the treble. As always YMMV.

Kz used to have whirlwind, a blue one.
it will up the treble. but yeah, it also can turn normal iem to sibilant one

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #59,569 of 63,914
Kz used to have whirlwind, a blue one.
it will up the treble. but yeah, it also can turn normal iem to sibilant one
I actually find the original tips okay, I use the ESX as something relaxed. The EDX Ultra has better treble and sounds cleaner. The two are complimentary. The only problem is that the more relaxed one doesn't work for sleeping, it's pretty thick. I think that's might be why they put the longer nozzle on it. To help retain it in place when wearing. Semi-custom fit with a wing would have been a better option.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #59,570 of 63,914
All the reviewers are hobbyists, but they are putting in some work to give feedback to the rest of us. Any feedback is better than none. Information from manufacturers and retailers is invariably overhyped and unreliable. I usually prefer to wait until retailers are clearing overstocks of older models. Better prices and known quantities. Flavor of the month are risky purchases and often regretted.

Regarding short tips, SpinFit CP360 might work. They are designed for TWS earbuds and shorter than normal tips. Reversed starlines might also work if you cut the stem down (also not a great loss if you write them off). Alternatively drop down a size in tips if you have a deeper fit, that sometimes works.

I must say, that Whirlwinds are real good for Esx. Only real better ones which I found from yesterday are Xelastecs (but we know issues of these..)

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #59,571 of 63,914
I must say, that Whirlwinds are real good for Esx. Only real better ones which I found from yesterday are Xelastecs (but we know issues of these..)
Cost is a factor too. Putting $10 tips and a $20 cable on a $20 KZ raises a serious question. Would you have been better off buying something like an SG-01 OVA or Mele in the first place. It's very easy to overlook included accessories.

That scales up as well, for two $50 IEMs you could have something like an Aria or YST-02 plus change. And so on up the chain...

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #59,572 of 63,914
Cost is a factor too. Putting $10 tips and a $20 cable on a $20 KZ raises a serious question. Would you have been better off buying something like an SG-01 OVA or Mele in the first place. It's very easy to overlook included accessories.

That scales up as well, for two $50 IEMs you could have something like an Aria or YST-02 plus change. And so on up the chain...
If only it existed back then when I ordered the BL-03 in May 2020. I'd probably have the Moondrop Chu right now. Full set of spring tips and hardwired cable. Very little room if any for scalability, but already works great as is.

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #59,573 of 63,914

The more expensive the earphones I buy, the more critical I am towards them. None of them are issues free.

Recently I have convinced myself of the theories of this crazy guy from YT Sharur and back to Harman like tuned earphones. I planing to sell my Dunu Est112 and take Variations. EQ is enought.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #59,574 of 63,914
The more expensive the earphones I buy, the more critical I am towards them. None of them are issues free.

Recently I have convinced myself of the theories of this crazy guy from YT Sharur and back to Harman like tuned earphones. I planing to sell my Dunu Est112 and take Variations. EQ is enought.
as someone who broke af, i agree. EQ for justice

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #59,575 of 63,914
If only it existed back then when I ordered the BL-03 in May 2020. I'd probably have the Moondrop Chu right now. Full set of spring tips and hardwired cable. Very little room if or scalability, but already works great as is.
moondrop chu is worth getting for the spring tips. i find it more comfortable and enhances treble extension better.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #59,576 of 63,914
1656760145491.png

Can ANYBODY confirm (as in actually check it in their smartphone) if the model "KZ SK10 Pro" supports and works in aptX HD?
That means it is working at 576 kbps, 24 bit, 48 kHz, instead of the regular aptX that works at 384 kbps, 16 bit, and up to 48kHz (normally lower).

The bluetooth menu sometimes lies, as in it shows an option to enable "aptX HD" but it actually does not change anything. You have to check it in developer settings:

1656760220264.png

There is where you must be able to select aptX HD and play music without any problems. I am asking because KZ Z3 "supposedly" supports aptX HD, but I have the unit and it actually does not, only supports aptX. KZ liars sadly false advertise. Also, they make you believe it supports aptX HD because in the Bluetooth Android menu, inside the paired device settings (Phone calls, Media Audio, Contact sharing...) there is an option that says "HD audio". That changes from SBC to aptX, not from aptX to aptX HD.

I'm kind of sick of KZ, I really love their built quality in selected IEM's, such as KZ ZS7, and their sound and everything, but then they lie in your face like that, advertising a tech that is not supported, or not soldering drivers, etc... It's a mixed, a really mixed feeling of anger, respect and total lack of respect.

Anyone?
This is not organized, since there are thousands of KZ models, it's really hard to talk about a specific model in this vast generic thread. There should be subgroups for each model so users can talk directly to the owners of the same product.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #59,577 of 63,914
Anyone?
This is not organized, since there are thousands of KZ models, it's really hard to talk about a specific model in this vast generic thread. There should be subgroups for each model so users can talk directly to the owners of the same product.
Why don't you create a topic about this matter ? That'd be easier to find and follow.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #59,578 of 63,914
Why don't you create a topic about this matter ? That'd be easier to find and follow.
Isn't this the only thread to talk about KZ products?
Ideally there should be a thread for each specific product, and then a general KZ thread like this one for general things for the company.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #59,579 of 63,914
Anyone?
If posters conform to mentioning their respective IEM in each post, the “Search this thread” field would then become useful.

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #59,580 of 63,914
moondrop chu is worth getting for the spring tips. i find it more comfortable and enhances treble extension better.
Sadly the Moondrop Chu comes with s/m/l tips. If you take large tips normally, you probably need XL spring tips as they're smaller fitting than normal. So three sets of tips that won't fit. :triportsad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back