Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 1, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #59,551 of 63,914
Just dropped in to say. I picked up the new KZ ESX, 10 year anniversary. You can notice the elevated base straight away. I tried it against the few other KZ's i own and it's probably the best so far on the budget end. Although, when i listened to the DQ6, it was very, very close. All i did was change the tips. I do that with all KZ IEM's though.

My opinion is, for the price, £16 quid, £19 including shipping and taxes, it's an excellent IEM. What i have been finding lately though, is that all the KZ iems are very good, just not that different from each other. They raise the bar a few inches but not a few feet.

I'm still breaking it in, so I'll update later. But right out of the box it sounded great.

One thing that i did notice, that others might be able to comment on. My box wasn't wrapped in plastic. I'm not sure if i got an opened pair.

I'll be interested to see what others think.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #59,553 of 63,914
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #59,554 of 63,914
He's using bad choosen tips. Esx is difficult in this aspect.

1/ everyone has different shaped ears, what fits you does not necessarily give a good seal with another person.

2/ reviewers using a standard tip that suits them, helps provide a more consistent result. Akros will change to other tips occasionally, but KBEAR 07 is his usual choice. Zeos uses Comply foams, certain reviewer from Hawaii similarly uses CP100. Many reviewers use everything stock, others try varying sources, cables, tips etc.

3/ I have the ESX. It is not fussy about tip choice. I have tried several tips on mine, KBEAR 07 sound fine. I wouldn't recommend foams as it's dark enough in it's tuning, without further boosting the bass. Wide bored tips work well here.

4/ have you actually listened to the ESX with those particular tips? If not, then your opinion is not even a subjective evaluation, it is conjecture.

5/ people will have differing experiences and interpretations. None are wrong, people are entitled to their own opinions. Reviews are opinions, feel free not to use them, it's your money.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #59,555 of 63,914
graphkzcca.png

Graph comparison taken from Ian.
Splashy treble in Ultra, which I mentioned before comes from above 10khz.

Jul 2, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #59,556 of 63,914
1/ everyone has different shaped ears, what fits you does not necessarily give a good seal with another person.

2/ reviewers using a standard tip that suits them helps provide a more consistent result. Akros will change to other tips occasionally, but KBEAR 07 is his usual choice. Zeos uses Comply foams, certain reviewer from Hawaii similarly uses CP100. Many reviewers use everything stock, others try varying sources, cables, tips etc.

3/ I have the ESX. It is not fussy about tip choice. I have tried several tips on mine, KBEAR 07 sound fine. I wouldn't recommend foams as it's dark enough in it's tuning, without further boosting the bass. Wide bored tips work well here.

4/ have you actually listened to the ESX with those particular tips? If not, then your opinion is not even a subjective evaluation, it is conjecture.

5/ people will have differing experiences and interpretations. None are wrong, people are entitled to their own opinions. Reviews are opinions, feel free not to use them, it's your money.
Just look what tips were stock ones in Esx and think why.
When I see L size tips with long nozzle I'm confused, it could not work.

SO ITS MY OPINION DOH!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #59,557 of 63,914

SO ITS MY OPINION DOH!

If you own the ESX and have tried other tips on them, then tell us what they were and how they compared.

It is not appropriate to label someone else's opinion as wrong, without providing some supporting evidence.

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #59,558 of 63,914

SO ITS MY OPINION DOH!
I agree. The original tips are not great for ESX. Wide-bore tips, like Spiral dots, work much better to my ears (each ear anatomy is different though), so ESX is my favourite of the recent batch (I do not have ultra).
The guy pretending to distinguish "LCP" by looking at the driver is pathetic, as most of those reviewers out there reviewing one IEM after another in a rush.
Even more pathetic, IMHO, is regurgitating opinions of those reviewers....

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #59,559 of 63,914
I agree. The original tips are not great for ESX. Wide-bore tips, like Spiral dots, work much better to my ears (each ear anatomy is different though), so ESX is my favourite of the recent batch (I do not have ultra).
The guy pretending to distinguish "LCP" by looking at the driver is pathetic, as most of those reviewers out there reviewing one IEM after another in a rush.
Even more pathetic, IMHO, is regurgitating opinions of those reviewers....
Reviewer is a same hobbist as we are, even inferior.. This term - reviewer is pure bs for me, as user and owner I can get better knowledge about thing which I had to pay for, just because I try to use it in optimal way.
Sound physist could explain for us something else, but we haven't them too much.

Sadly I haven't second Spiral Dot, I have lost one.
Regarding to my tips inventory: at this moment I have every single type of SpinFits, ePro, Bgvp w01 tips which I dont like, many Sony tips, Final E and lot of residue from iems which I had before.
I was trying to shortened nozles of Final E for this purpose but it wasnt good idea. I just ended with stock ones in this case. When I was trying to use most of them I had experience of too "long-nozle-v-shaping sound".

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #59,560 of 63,914
Reviewer is a same hobbist as we are, even inferior.. This term - reviewer is pure bs for me, as user and owner I can get better knowledge about thing which I had to pay for, just because I try to use it in optimal way.
Sound physist could explain for us something else, but we haven't them too much.

Sadly I haven't second Spiral Dot, I have lost one.
Regarding to my tips inventory: at this moment I have every single type of SpinFits, ePro, Bgvp w01 tips which I dont like, many Sony tips, Final E and lot of residue from iems which I had before.
I was trying to shortened nozles of Final E for this purpose but it wasnt good idea. I just ended with stock ones in this case. When I was trying to use most of them I had experience of too "long-nozle-v-shaping sound".

All the reviewers are hobbyists, but they are putting in some work to give feedback to the rest of us. Any feedback is better than none. Information from manufacturers and retailers is invariably overhyped and unreliable. I usually prefer to wait until retailers are clearing overstocks of older models. Better prices and known quantities. Flavor of the month are risky purchases and often regretted.

Regarding short tips, SpinFit CP360 might work. They are designed for TWS earbuds and shorter than normal tips. Reversed starlines might also work if you cut the stem down (also not a great loss if you write them off). Alternatively drop down a size in tips if you have a deeper fit, that sometimes works.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #59,561 of 63,914
i'm having hard time loving KZ ESX after dailying EDA-Balanced.

Too bad really, other than polite treble, it improve most aspect of the technicalities.
better quality bass, fuller vocals, better soundstage, that airy feels. but yeah.
After hearing Eda-bal, it feels unbalanced. a bit too much bass that overpower other sounds.
eartip change reduce the bass, but for some reason, it feels it reduce the bass quality as well...

Despite ESX seems to have bigger stage and more air, i can hear things easier such as listening to bass guitar line easier on EDA Balanced somehow.

seriously tempted to order CCA Lyra which seems to be refined EDA-balanced.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #59,562 of 63,914
All the reviewers are hobbyists, but they are putting in some work to give feedback to the rest of us. Any feedback is better than none. Information from manufacturers and retailers is invariably overhyped and unreliable. I usually prefer to wait until retailers are clearing overstocks of older models. Better prices and known quantities. Flavor of the month are risky purchases and often regretted.

Regarding short tips, SpinFit CP360 might work. They are designed for TWS earbuds and shorter than normal tips. Reversed starlines might also work if you cut the stem down (also not a great loss if you write them off). Alternatively drop down a size in tips if you have a deeper fit, that sometimes works.
IMG20220702101506.jpg
Cp360 same story, way too long tips, on too long nozzle of earphone, with too long inside part. For me it's not working.
Overall it's not miracle earphone.. It's bassy with not as sharp treble, as EDA balanced. I can use Esx in city communication and for this purpose is fine.

On photo: left stock one, right Cp360

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #59,563 of 63,914
Here is picture with EDA - if someone had before problems with long nozzle should avoid this oneIMG_20220702_103354.jpg

About reviewers: Graph is just enought to get initial conception of sound.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #59,564 of 63,914
1656760145491.png

Can ANYBODY confirm (as in actually check it in their smartphone) if the model "KZ SK10 Pro" supports and works in aptX HD?
That means it is working at 576 kbps, 24 bit, 48 kHz, instead of the regular aptX that works at 384 kbps, 16 bit, and up to 48kHz (normally lower).

The bluetooth menu sometimes lies, as in it shows an option to enable "aptX HD" but it actually does not change anything. You have to check it in developer settings:

1656760220264.png

There is where you must be able to select aptX HD and play music without any problems. I am asking because KZ Z3 "supposedly" supports aptX HD, but I have the unit and it actually does not, only supports aptX. KZ liars sadly false advertise. Also, they make you believe it supports aptX HD because in the Bluetooth Android menu, inside the paired device settings (Phone calls, Media Audio, Contact sharing...) there is an option that says "HD audio". That changes from SBC to aptX, not from aptX to aptX HD.

I'm kind of sick of KZ, I really love their built quality in selected IEM's, such as KZ ZS7, and their sound and everything, but then they lie in your face like that, advertising a tech that is not supported, or not soldering drivers, etc... It's a mixed, a really mixed feeling of anger, respect and total lack of respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back