Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #59,506 of 64,382
Also I don't need to put another type of damper (foams), since the driver already has a subdued 4-5khz. It really sounds good filterless no need to put extra dampers what not.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #59,507 of 64,382
Also I don't need to put another type of damper (foams), since the driver already has a subdued 4-5khz. It really sounds good filterless no need to put extra dampers what not.

even it feels good to you, its nice to have bit of foam to absorb unwanted resonance at tail of transients, majority the TOTL IEMs also have dampers, but they going more advance like knowles damper per passive frequency tubes, or using foam like Sony, but not with easy shortcut nylon or paper damper.

If you listen closely, bass definition, bass texture is different when using those nylon damper. I know because I did these kind of works over the years, and I myself is very picky about bass quality, only 1 IEM that can satisfied my bass urge so far, the Z1R

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #59,508 of 64,382
even it feels good to you, its nice to have bit of foam to absorb unwanted resonance at tail of transients, majority the TOTL IEMs also have dampers, but they going more advance like knowles damper per passive frequency tubes, or using foam like Sony, but not with easy shortcut nylon or paper damper.

If you listen closely, bass definition, bass texture is different when using those nylon damper. I know because I did these kind of works over the years, and I myself is very picky about bass quality, only 1 IEM that can satisfied my bass urge so far, the Z1R
I'll try the alcohol wipe mod later. But I doubt it will improve the sound even more..filterless already sounds excellent to me.

~ESX sounds like an EDA Balanced on steroids when filterless. 😆

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #59,509 of 64,382
Play something on a guitar with two humbuckers, using both pickups, preferably through a tube amp. Next use the neck pickup using coil tap to just get single coil. Turn off any reverb and lower the gain. Listen again, that will sound thinner. If that sounds no different, congratulations, you have just saved yourself a fortune on guitars and audio gear.

If you connect the left cable connector to the right earpiece and vice versa, it is very easy to get reversed stereo.
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Nope. I can rule out stupidity. The cable is inserted in to the iems correctly.

It is an odd effect though.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #59,512 of 64,382
Nope. I can rule out stupidity. The cable is inserted in to the iems correctly.

It is an odd effect though.
Stupidity during manufacture is possible. If the labeled connectors are wired to the opposite channels, depending on the style of splitter, that wouldn't be apparent. Does the IEM still reverse with a different cable? Polarity could be reversed on one side of either earpiece or cable. That would put things out of phase (not reversed stereo, but still sounding "off"). If it's out of phase, that could also sound strange with playback of a mono recording.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #59,513 of 64,382

i removed the filter on my CRA and EDX and regret it, it adds brittleness and extra granularity like unwanted FR harshness across the entire frequency range. yes louder mids but not smooth at all. i think in a graph it would have tony saw tooth patterns alone the audible range.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #59,514 of 64,382
i removed the filter on my CRA and EDX and regret it, it adds brittleness and extra granularity like unwanted FR harshness across the entire frequency range. yes louder mids but not smooth at all. i think in a graph it would have tony saw tooth patterns alone the audible range.

Thats why you have to dampened it back, but not using that nylon damper, use mesh 500 with pinched hole on center for CRA, and add little bit of foam. The mod here is to change the damper, not to remove and listen on raw unless you're OK with it

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #59,515 of 64,382
Thats why you have to dampened it back, but not using that nylon damper, use mesh 500 with pinched hole on center for CRA, and add little bit of foam. The mod here is to change the damper, not to remove and listen on raw unless you're OK with it
Just curious, is there a noticeable difference between the stock filter of CRA vs 500 mesh? I have checked riku measurement and the FR seems to be the same with stock and 500 mesh.

graph-56.png

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #59,516 of 64,382
Just curious, is there a noticeable difference between the stock filter of CRA vs 500 mesh? I have checked riku measurement and the FR seems to be the same with stock and 500 mesh.

Thats the point, make the bass cleaner while retain same signature as original. They may look the same on FR, but bass texture, air and tightness is different here. Better if you pinch a hole on the mesh surface, just tiny hole to make airway.
Kudos to @RikudouGoku , he is a long friend that doing mods with me. Miss Slater.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #59,517 of 64,382
Thats the point, make the bass cleaner while retain same signature as original. They may look the same on FR, but bass texture, air and tightness is different here.
Makes sense, the stock filter is kinda restrictive in terms of airflow.

Here are some more data on those 2:
1655996093941.png

1655996107509.png

1655996127645.png

1655996139367.png

1655996193610.png

1655996205901.png

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #59,518 of 64,382
Makes sense, the stock filter is kinda restrictive in terms of airflow.

Here are some more data on those 2:

Nice looking colourful graphs :)
Though hard to pinpoint any difference.
Have you tried to subtract one response from another to get more clear evidence of the difference (if any)? May work better with more averaged responses.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #59,519 of 64,382
Have you tried to subtract one response from another to get more clear evidence of the difference (if any)? May work better with more averaged responses.
There isnt a function like that in REW afaik.

Nice looking colourful graphs :)
Though hard to pinpoint any difference.
indeed, I admit I really have no clue how to read them lol.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #59,520 of 64,382
There isnt a function like that in REW afaik.

indeed, I admit I really have no clue how to read them lol.

I was about to ask you about this :sweat_smile:

Is that "smears" on original CRA (look at sub bass area and that around 38hz area) This is something new for me but if this graphically proven that is something nice for my knowledge about audio world, very useful for mod stuff etc. Although I'm sure the differences of bloated and smeared bass is very noticeable with those nylon dampers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back