Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #59,476 of 63,914
My Esx just arrived! Initially I like them much more then Ultra. ESX is also bassy, but for my ears is less v-shaped. Mids are more prominent and extension is more natural - sound is less compressed. Bigger driver was good idea. Well done 👍

Edit: Compared to the rest, it is a candidate for No.1.
Also the previously mentioned mod may be a good idea, but I won't try it yet

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #59,478 of 63,914
Please compare ESX later with other IEMs you have, KZ or else. thanks
I have done quick comparison. I think it could be the best one from KZ/CCA. I like it more at this moment then CRA+ and Eda balanced, but I need more time to listening.

Possibly for some quantity of treble could be not enought.

Initial results:
Eda balanced - cleaner sound, delicate, good extension.. but weaker and thinner overall

Esx (vs rest) - veiled, less extended, but bigger and more natural sound, better dynamism, this iem need to sound cleaner...

CRA plus - good midrange, clean, good extension, but could be too much for some, but like with EDA.. more compressed sound.

CRA good dynamism, less veild, but boxy sound.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #59,480 of 63,914
Main impressions for ESX:
They sound big, very dynamic and natural. Sound is U-shaped without being too recessed in the mid-tones.The amount of detail is satisfactory and it sounds non-aggressive. Its natural presentation is very likeable, but could be perceived as bit veiled (not necesery disadvantage, somewhat like Blon kind of sound).

Worthy of being called anniversary earphones and best budget KZ iems in my opinion.

*I hadn't heard any positive effects of changing cables and for me stock tips were best ones

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #59,481 of 63,914
As someone who isn't sure what sound characteristics I prefer yet I've been keeping an eye on this store selling the EDA 3 pack, waiting for someone to cry scam but even with the very low price, which includes free Aliexpress Standard Delivery if selected, they've had 165 orders and no bad reviews (for the EDA that is).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004212386509.html

As I was looking into the store's other items for red flags I noticed this listing which has the EDA Balanced extremely cheap.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004379504421.html

I'm not recommending them as I may be missing something more experienced Ali buyers would notice, just giving you something to consider/confuse matters.:)
Well I can recommend this store. Just not too sure about the EU shipping, I either got lucky and it arrived fast from China or they actually have it in the warehouse. Either way I can't complain now. For the price it's a steal. Still haven't listened to them but I can't offer a comprehensive review either 😁

EDIT:
Both Balanced and High Res variants sound nice. Bass variant is just too bassy and overpowering. They are very comfortable for my small ears. I am picky in this regard because not all IEM's fit me, unfortunately. Sound-wise it's not that different from my broken CRA, if my memory serves me right, just smoother. 8 euros for each IEM I would consider it good value. I am quite happy with this purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_20220621_085359.jpg
    IMG_20220621_085359.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #59,482 of 63,914
Please, any KZ Z3 TWS owner... can you check in your Android phone, under Developer options, that you are actually using the codec aptX HD?

1655804916993.png

To me it appears grayed out and I wanna know if there's a problem with my unit or with all KZ Z3 models.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #59,484 of 63,914
Please, any KZ Z3 TWS owner... can you check in your Android phone, under Developer options, that you are actually using the codec aptX HD?

To me it appears grayed out and I wanna know if there's a problem with my unit or with all KZ Z3 models.
KZ Z3 does not have a APTX-HD

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #59,485 of 63,914
QC3040 bluetooth chip have APTX, standard APTX.
Not sure about the "HD" part that is in the marketing material of Z3.
maybe Qualcomm update it but at least in the qualcomm website it state only support standard aptx
QCC3040 supports AptX Adaptive. Which was upgrade to AptX-HD to provide more stable connection (although max bitrate was slightly slower)
KZ ZS3 does not have a APTX-HD
KZ ZS3 is a wired IEM released in 2016, it doesn't even have SBC. I presume you mean KZ Z3, which mentions AptX adaptive at the top as having the advantages of Aptx-HD and "Lossless". AptX like all BT codecs is lossy. Mentions Aptx-HD and Aptx-LL at the bottom, which is pretty shady if they aren't supported.
Hb2c257158a3b4115a5ad0e5e029afd7aq.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #59,486 of 63,914

KZ announces them Z3 and SK10 Pro as aptX HD compatible.
Please, check their specs, I even posted a third party review from ThePhonograph and they state aptX HD as well for that chip...If the manufacturer says it supports aptX HD, and a review says it as well, I am forced to believe it does support it.

KZ ZS3 does not have a APTX-HD

It's KZ Z3

QC3040 bluetooth chip have APTX, standard APTX.
Not sure about the "HD" part that is in the marketing material of Z3.
maybe Qualcomm update it but at least in the qualcomm website it state only support standard aptx

Qualcomm website for specs details is a joke. I've found dozens of errors so it's not a reference. The manufacturer's statement should be enough, and if a 3rd party site says the same as manufacturer's... not rocket science.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #59,487 of 63,914
I just need the confirmation of one KZ Z3 owner that says he or she can use aptX HD in their smartphone. Or, if not, then KZ Z3 model is a joke, I would ask for my money back and KZ is lying, which would be pretty sad. Who would spend $50 to listen to aptX?
That's what $15 TWS do...

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #59,488 of 63,914
I just need the confirmation of one KZ Z3 owner that says he or she can use aptX HD in their smartphone. Or, if not, then KZ Z3 model is a joke, I would ask for my money back and KZ is lying, which would be pretty sad. Who would spend $50 to listen to aptX?
That's what $15 TWS do...
It support aptX adaptive which backward compatible with aptX HD and aptX
1655816500036.png

1655816672616.png

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #59,489 of 63,914
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #59,490 of 63,914
In their data sheet that you are showing they are claiming there is aptX adaptive, while on their site there's no mention of it, although this would explain why his Z3 shows regular aptX as the only codec supported. This documentation is really confusing. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/application/audio/qcc30xx-series/qcc3040#Overview
As I told you, Qualcomm data is wrong 99% of the time. I'm tired of looking up info about Snapdragon chipsets just to find out their data is either false or incomplete which forces you to believe false things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back