Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #59,087 of 64,202
What's the best successor of KZ ZAX

Any single DD (which appears to include more KZs than I care to think about)! :frowning2:

You could consider hybrids from other manufacturers who haven't been caught including BAs as ballast in their IEMs.

It also depends what you mean by successor. Upgrade, recent release at the same price point or similar signature?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #59,088 of 64,202
What's the best successor of KZ ZAX?
After buying around 40 IEMs, I have given up on IEMs. The best is over ear headphones😜 Our outer ear, ear canal length and width and the unique ridges inside of it are unique to us. All of it modifies the sound which our brain perceives as natural.
If you bypass that by directly injecting sound into the ear canal, the sound you hear depends on how close your ear shape is to the dummy ears used during development of the IEM.

So IEMs are more for convenience during travel/ hot weather only. I have stopped looking for SQ in IEMs☹️

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #59,089 of 64,202
After buying around 40 IEMs, I have given up on IEMs. The best is over ear headphones😜 Our outer ear, ear canal length and width and the unique ridges inside of it are unique to us. All of it modifies the sound which our brain perceives as natural.
If you bypass that by directly injecting sound into the ear canal, the sound you hear depends on how close your ear shape is to the dummy ears used during development of the IEM.

So IEMs are more for convenience during travel/ hot weather only. I have stopped looking for SQ in IEMs☹️
you are still affected by HRTF.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #59,091 of 64,202

After buying 20+ iem, i give up counting how many I've got. Same as you wont count how many chothes you've bought. Chifi means fast fashion to me, sometimes functional, but most times simply because of the fancy outlooks.

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #59,092 of 64,202
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #59,094 of 64,202
Any single DD (which appears to include more KZs than I care to think about)! :frowning2:

You could consider hybrids from other manufacturers who haven't been caught including BAs as ballast in their IEMs.

It also depends what you mean by successor. Upgrade, recent release at the same price point or similar signature?
I think that KZ ZAX is already a well done product. Despite the fact that probably not all the BA drivers are really connected, the overall sound quality and richness of details is impressive for the cost of the ZAX.
This is the main reason why I'm sometimes looking for a new gem in KZ production.
The KZ ZES are very bad. I was very curious about the 12mm DD but the sound quality at the end is more than poor.
If you know a better product than ZAX, please recommend it, thank you!

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #59,095 of 64,202
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #59,096 of 64,202
A head related transfer function is a function that describes how a signal is filtered by diffrac-
tion, scattering and reflection of the head, pinna, and torso before it reaches the eardrum
If you read the paper that you referenced, it clearly states what HRTF stands for.

With an IEM, the only component that is individually variable is the length/width of the ear canal left in front of the ear drum to transducer. This mainly affects the resonant frequency (varies anywhere from 2.5 to 3.2 kHz depending on individual ear canal length). The effects of the head, pinna, torso no longer applies. Even with an over-ear headphone, the effects of head, torso don't apply, but the pinna does apply and it has a major effect on the sound we perceive.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #59,097 of 64,202
The KZ ZES are very bad. I was very curious about the 12mm DD but the sound quality at the end is more than poor.
Curious to know how bad they are. Are you able to compare them with say, the ZEX and ZEX Pro? Or any other comparable KZ release?

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #59,099 of 64,202
Curious to know how bad they are. Are you able to compare them with say, the ZEX and ZEX Pro? Or any other comparable KZ release?
I have a ZEX, I like its very warm, smooth and up-front vocals, bass is heavy and bounce. I heard someone complained about its tunning is not really natural, sound stage is not extending enough, bass just liked hitting on a wall.

ZEX is a kind of retro tunning not for everyone. Its not airy, high is not as shine as ZAX, separation is not good, bass is too heavy. But its meaty vocals somehow make it more organic and fun. By changing to a single core copper cable, and use Sendearfit Light tips, I can get more "natural" soundstage, vocal positioning is better, and more controlled bass now.

I have tried the ZES, its tuning is quite similar to ZEX, there is not much upgrade in SQ, and I skip it.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #59,100 of 64,202
Grabbed myself a DQ6s on Ali group buy for AU$24 (roughly US$18).
Also have offers on ZAS (AU$58/US$44) and CCA CA10 (AU$40/US$30). Are either of these worth grabbing?

Edit: To answer myself, probably not worthwhile additions for me on the ZAS and CCA CA10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back