Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #57,322 of 64,220
any opinions on KZ flagship AST? is it good? worth buying? or is it tuned funny like the previous flagship ASZ, not great?
I like it enough that I may buy a 2nd pair if they go on a good sale. I paid $91.40 for the first pair with a discount and a coupon.
But I have to admit I like the ASX, so I'm probably not a good person to ask. Besides liking the sound of the AST & ASX both fit me perfectly and isolate well which are both high on my list of important criteria. I find the AST slightly mellower than the ASX. Besides that I'm terrible at evaluating earphones unless there is something obviously wrong, and I don't notice anything wrong.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #57,323 of 64,220
ZEX Pro $22 with coupon. Insta-buy.
That is hard to resist. I have no use whatsoever for another pair of earphones, but $22 is tempting. Probably not going to do it though. I'm trying to wait until something I really, really, really want comes along.

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #57,324 of 64,220
That is hard to resist. I have no use whatsoever for another pair of earphones, but $22 is tempting. Probably not going to do it though. I'm trying to wait until something I really, really, really want comes along.
My Aria barely 2 month old but KZ Tribid at $22 is mighty tempting.
KZ ZEX Pro preorder is sold at $38 in local "official" seller

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #57,326 of 64,220
I've ordered the KZ ZEX Pro too. Very good deals at the moment. I'm using quite a new company I've never used before, so I hope they are on the ball. My main comparisons will be with the KZ ZEX itself and with the ******MT300 which has the Electret/Magnetostat, DD, BA too. In the ******MT300 Linsoul call the electret, a 7mm TDK electrostatic driver, so don't know if it is a real Electrostatic driver, I doubt it.....does anybody know?

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #57,328 of 64,220
I've ordered the KZ ZEX Pro too. Very good deals at the moment. I'm using quite a new company I've never used before, so I hope they are on the ball. My main comparisons will be with the KZ ZEX itself and with the ******MT300 which has the Electret/Magnetostat, DD, BA too. In the ******MT300 Linsoul call the electret, a 7mm TDK electrostatic driver, so don't know if it is a real Electrostatic driver, I doubt it.....does anybody know?
MT300 have been discussed to have piezo - that are the only TDK units of this size; it fits both the fire sales and the signature of the well-implemented piezo that to me NX7 series aspired to be but never reached...
I agree, as12 is very good headphones, especially for these $ 20-25 (depending on what discount and coupons), I would also recommend as06, they are very awesome too
Very much true, AS06 and AS10 are more source-friendly, but then no fire sales, similar to AST.
I like it enough that I may buy a 2nd pair if they go on a good sale. I paid $91.40 for the first pair with a discount and a coupon.
But I have to admit I like the ASX, so I'm probably not a good person to ask. Besides liking the sound of the AST & ASX both fit me perfectly and isolate well which are both high on my list of important criteria. I find the AST slightly mellower than the ASX. Besides that I'm terrible at evaluating earphones unless there is something obviously wrong, and I don't notice anything wrong.
AST are great with the bright sources!
Then ASX are still my top IEM (I modified the nozzle - my ears prefer wide and shallow acoustic coupling; but then everyone is different, it may work well "as is".)
I would pick up the second pair of AST at $100, but no sales. Indicative of either demand or KZ internal valuation.

KZ pricing, actually, is a very good indicator. So based on the prices, the BA driver in ZEX pro would be at best similar to one in CCA CSN, if not more downplayed. If the pro version is only $2-3 above in price - that would likely be the sound difference, but I will be happy to be wrong :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #57,329 of 64,220
MT300 have been discussed to have piezo - that are the only TDK units of this size; it fits both the fire sales and the signature of the well-implemented piezo that to me NX7 series aspired to be but never reached...
Very much true, AS06 and AS10 are more source-friendly, but then no fire sales, similar to AST.

AST are great with the bright sources!
Then ASX are still my top IEM (I modified the nozzle - my ears prefer wide and shallow acoustic coupling; but then everyone is different, it may work well "as is".)
I would pick up the second pair of AST at $100, but no sales. Indicative of either demand or KZ internal valuation.

KZ pricing, actually, is a very good indicator. So based on the prices, the BA driver in ZEX pro would be at best similar to one in CCA CSN, if not more downplayed. If the pro version is only $2-3 above in price - that would likely be the sound difference, but I will be happy to be wrong :)
If it is a piezo I like the tuning of the MT300 piezo. Some time ago I got the LZ A7 because I got an order number prize from Linsoul and the piezo tuning on those is really good. It does show, though, how we haven't got the faintest ideas if some of these companies put in what they say they put into their IEM's........unless someone does a teardown to prove it. A case in point is.....does the KBear Believe have a pure Beryllium driver in it, as they say, because that would not be easy to implement at the cost.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #57,330 of 64,220
any opinions on KZ flagship AST? is it good? worth buying? or is it tuned funny like the previous flagship ASZ, not great?
Discounted definetely it is. But you need to know to what you get: bass is loud with great midbass impact but still BA bass (the fastest but not much rumble); stock tuning is also treble shy (if you care too much for high treble instruments like cymbals being fully extended).

Still... Its an enjoyable tuning, very fun IEM and you can PEQ it for a bit more treble and microdetails. @ExTubeGamer shared his and liked it a lot (+ presence, right amount of treble gain).

Also, you can consider that the amount of BAs give good separation and depth that is rare in the price range. So its a 3,5/4 star stock tuning (+ terrible accessories) but you can improve the sound to 4,5/5 (if you like bassy, energetic IEMs 😝)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back