Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #57,256 of 63,884
How is the comfort factor on the Crystal? Are they stiffer or softer than generic soft silicone TWS eartips or the tube-like soft silicone stock eartips that come with the CCA NRA and latter KZ models?

Have you also tried the AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC? If so, which is better in terms of wearing comfort—the Crystal or the XELASTEC? The latter were my original choice for replacement eartips for the Moondrop Aria but then the BGVP Type W01 eartips that I ordered at an earlier time arrived and they were near-perfect for me, so I didn't bother with the AZLAs anymore. Been using the BGVPs on the Aria and the KZ ZAX (connected to the KZ AZ09) ever since. I'm still curious, though.
I do have XELASTEC tips as well but I definitely prefer the Crystal to them.
Due to the fact that the XELASTEC are made from TPE, they have the benefit is that they are really supple (not KZ DQ6/ASF/ASX flimsy) and make bullet style IEMs stay in your ears better due to being a little sticky/grippy, the downside is they are harder to insert deeper into your ear if you prefer that and collect dust like crazy. They get dirty fast, it's just the nature of the material.

The Crystal is basically a slightly stiffer less sticky/grippy version of the XELASTEC. It doesn't collect dust as much and still has most of the benefits of the XELASTEC. It also has a lesser impact on the sound but that might be because I only have the TWS version of it which doesn't extend past the nozzle of the IEM.

Compared to the BGVP W01 both are more supple and of higher quality, but more sticky/grippy. The bore of the tips is narrower but still fairly wide. Due to the bigger bore of the W01 it improves the treble response while the XELASTEC and by extension the Crystal make improvements across the board as most AZLA's do. But this does include reducing the bass quantity but tightening it up and improving the texture a bit.

Fun fact, I used to have the XELASTEC on my Meze 12 Classic V2 until I tried my W01 on them. Never looked back, although I do occasionally swap them out for the stock tips.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #57,257 of 63,884
Hi! Welcome to the KZ Impressions thread!

Apparently, it's just been launched and there seems to be no user impressions yet. But when they do start to surface, you'll definitely find them here. 🙂

There's this YouTube channel that's been giving updates:

Looks nice and clean. Hopefully those earpads are replaceable. Now being sold at Shopee Philippines for ₱4,999 (~$98.74). This coming 12:12 sale, with the special Electronics 8% discount voucher capped at $10, store vouchers, free shipping voucher and coins, I could probably knock that down to <$85 US.

But... the HiFiMAN HE-400se original edition is also sold at Shopee for the same amount, ₱4,999.00. The international edition with Stealth Magnets sells for ₱6,699.00 (~$132.31).

Now if I have $100 which do you think I'll buy ? 🤔😁

If you have dac/amp, get hifiman. Personally, i would be genuinely surprised if kz headphone manage even come close to mini sundara.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #57,258 of 63,884
Ah Zishan.
If you know your way with soldering and pcb board, Zishan is freakin awesome.
But yeah, unless you know your way with those, its a gamble.
i've read several qc issue with them, but many of my offline friend still recommend them as they can tinker with it if something went wrong
---
H3e506e8b62264eaaa248542ee0e8c98fJ.jpg

All of this for measly $120. Many of my friend including my sound engineer friend loved it.
But it is a glorified DIY product so proceed with extra caution.
I got Z4 know and it exceeded all my expectations: starting working out of box well in all respects (it has its roughness for sure), but the modding is actually hard to do on this model.

Now in a spirit of some of the HeadFi-iers, I do unabashedly want to share my impressions that Z4 is absolutely the best player out there that I experienced recently :)
Here I use the quote from one of the HeadFi impressions (let the person remain semi-anonymous):
"Without say name, far better than dongle at same prices and even better than some dap around 500/600$"
I am sure that there are some dongles at $500 out there that are worse than Z4, and then after all it is my subjective opinion, I hear it this way, you know :wink:

Anyhow, most importantly - back to KZ, the Z4 signature is on a brutal ESS side, so with my beloved modified ASX - two brutalities amplify and banshees start to appear even in classical music recordings (I did dig for treble-rich IEMs previously due to my source), still can appreciate Z4+ASX but largely for informative comparative testing :)

But then the treble-shy AST really shine with Z4 - amazing synergy - the treble is recovered and the brutal power of Z4 with slightly forwarded mids does work nicely for the AST BA array, and the bass is less prominent (actually I do miss bass compared to ASX).

With my previous main source (Pioneer X30, which think is great on its own merits), AST were not eventful. AST paired noticeably better with BTR5, especially in a DAC mode.

But then Z4 with AST are great (I am listening to Mahler's 1-st Symphony, the recording with a low dynamic range, soft, quiet, and it works well - I was concerned with Z4 background noise, it is not black but then that is the nature of amplifiers used, not Zishan implementation, I beleive).

Just wow!

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #57,259 of 63,884
I do have XELASTEC tips as well but I definitely prefer the Crystal to them.
Due to the fact that the XELASTEC are made from TPE, they have the benefit is that they are really supple (not KZ DQ6/ASF/ASX flimsy) and make bullet style IEMs stay in your ears better due to being a little sticky/grippy, the downside is they are harder to insert deeper into your ear if you prefer that and collect dust like crazy. They get dirty fast, it's just the nature of the material.

The Crystal is basically a slightly stiffer less sticky/grippy version of the XELASTEC. It doesn't collect dust as much and still has most of the benefits of the XELASTEC. It also has a lesser impact on the sound but that might be because I only have the TWS version of it which doesn't extend past the nozzle of the IEM.

Compared to the BGVP W01 both are more supple and of higher quality, but more sticky/grippy. The bore of the tips is narrower but still fairly wide. Due to the bigger bore of the W01 it improves the treble response while the XELASTEC and by extension the Crystal make improvements across the board as most AZLA's do. But this does include reducing the bass quantity but tightening it up and improving the texture a bit.

Fun fact, I used to have the XELASTEC on my Meze 12 Classic V2 until I tried my W01 on them. Never looked back, although I do occasionally swap them out for the stock tips.
Sometimes when you ask the right person not only do you get direct, responsive answers but complete, detailed ones. Muchas Gracias!

Methinks I'll try out the ML size of both AZLAs mentioned.
If you have dac/amp, get hifiman. Personally, i would be genuinely surprised if kz headphone manage even come close to mini sundara.
👍🏼👌🏼

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #57,260 of 63,884
One question to the AZ09 Pro owners. I have the AZ09. And the adapter is crazy loud. I couldn't use them if i couldn't turn down the master and application volume on my phone separately (see attached screenshot). I basically listen to 5% of 25% of volume. But if i double tap the AZ09 to skip a song, the skipping sound is still VERY loud.
Is that better with the AZ09 Pro?
Screenshot_20211120-004419539 (1)~2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #57,261 of 63,884
One question to the AZ09 Pro owners. I have the AZ09. And the adapter is crazy loud. I couldn't use them if i couldn't turn down the master and application volume on my phone separately (see attached screenshot). I basically listen to 5% of 25% of volume. But if i double tap the AZ09 to skip a song, the skipping sound is still VERY loud.
Is that better with the AZ09 Pro?
Screenshot_20211120-004419539 (1)~2.jpg
I also complained about this problem in my AZ09 impression. Luckily, the pro version has fixed this problem and also the pro has two modes (standard and full power mode) which can be changed by triple pushing the left side button.

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #57,263 of 63,884
So the sound level is now generally lower? 😍
Yes. It is increasing more linear so the volume doesn't jump out too much from 20% to 25% for example. And as I said before, there is full power mode that will make the volume even louder if needed.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #57,265 of 63,884
¡Hasta la vista!

This is it.

My endgame gear will be delivered anytime now; the carrier just notified me. I get dizzy just thinking about it.

The hubby volunteered to set up everything but I know he simply wants to have the entire weekend with them. No problem. It’s only fair considering he smiled then shrugged when I suggested his HiFiMAN Arya and Sennheiser HD800S are community property. :blush:

Soon as I have them I won't be active anymore in head-fi. Perhaps an occasional lurk here and there...

Being among friends in the KZ and CCA threads was, and is, quite the experience.

I'd like to thank some very special persons who've made my sojourn here and in the other threads I frequent, truly memorable:

@Slater, whose always-welcome, useful and timely tips, tricks, tweaks and DIY solutions are legendary and which, when collated and compiled would surely be one of, if not the, best resources in head-fi's in-ear headphones threads, encyclopedic as it would be in depth and extent of coverage; @Podster, ever-cheerful and helpful; @B9Scrambler, whose remarkable multi-part article on KZ headphones, written with hands-on experience, sincerity and affection in his The Contraptionist blog, not only serves as a guide and reference to Knowledge Zenith (KZ) product history and evolution but also is the perfect introduction to those starting their journey of musical enjoyment in this milieu of in-ear headphones in general, and of KZ in particular; @DocHoliday, so helpful as well; @1clearhead, with his unique perspective of living in China and seemingly always among the first to get his hands on new stuff; @hakuzen, whose comprehensive list and measurements of the resistance of various cables is another invaluable resource; the other @docholliday, with his illuminating posts on equalization; @Brooko, whose posts finally convinced me to finalize the transition from head-fi lurker to member (hope he's alright); and so many others, special mention off the cuff @PhonoPhi, @antdroid, and @maxxevv for their objective take on things; also @crabdog, @DBaldock9, @voicemaster, @BadReligionPunk, @groucho69, @eclein, @Zerohour88, @Nimweth, @drey101 and all my kababayans, @mbwilson111, and her departed partner and soulmate, @HungryPanda, who was, from my very first time in head-fi, always so kind, courteous and considerate. Like dear Podster, a true gentleman. I miss him.

I shall miss you all.

Thank You, and Take Care, everyone. :)

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #57,266 of 63,884
¡Hasta la vista!

This is it.

My endgame gear will be delivered anytime now; the carrier just notified me. I get dizzy just thinking about it.

The hubby volunteered to set up everything but I know he simply wants to have the entire weekend with them. No problem. It’s only fair considering he smiled then shrugged when I suggested his HiFiMAN Arya and Sennheiser HD800S are community property. :blush:

Soon as I have them I won't be active anymore in head-fi. Perhaps an occasional lurk here and there...

Being among friends in the KZ and CCA threads was, and is, quite the experience.

I'd like to thank some very special persons who've made my sojourn here and in the other threads I frequent, truly memorable:

@Slater, whose always-welcome, useful and timely tips, tricks, tweaks and DIY solutions are legendary and which, when collated and compiled would surely be one of, if not the, best resources in head-fi's in-ear headphones threads, encyclopedic as it would be in depth and extent of coverage; @Podster, ever-cheerful and helpful; @B9Scrambler, whose remarkable multi-part article on KZ headphones, written with hands-on experience, sincerity and affection in his The Contraptionist blog, not only serves as a guide and reference to Knowledge Zenith (KZ) product history and evolution but also is the perfect introduction to those starting their journey of musical enjoyment in this milieu of in-ear headphones in general, and of KZ in particular; @DocHoliday, so helpful as well; @1clearhead, with his unique perspective of living in China and seemingly always among the first to get his hands on new stuff; @hakuzen, whose comprehensive list and measurements of the resistance of various cables is another invaluable resource; the other @docholliday, with his illuminating posts on equalization; @Brooko, whose posts finally convinced me to finalize the transition from head-fi lurker to member (hope he's alright); and so many others, special mention off the cuff @PhonoPhi, @antdroid, and @maxxevv for their objective take on things; also @crabdog, @DBaldock9, @voicemaster, @BadReligionPunk, @groucho69, @eclein, @Zerohour88, @Nimweth, @drey101 and all my kababayans, @mbwilson111, and her departed partner and soulmate, @HungryPanda, who was, from my very first time in head-fi, always so kind, courteous and considerate. Like dear Podster, a true gentleman. I miss him.

I shall miss you all.

We will always be here kabayan. Enjoy your journey. Ingat ka at pagpalain ka nawa.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #57,267 of 63,884
alt4yj61dr081.jpg

ZEX Pro

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #57,268 of 63,884
¡Hasta la vista!

This is it.

I shall miss you all.

It has been a pleasure lurking on this thread and reading your posts.

Wishing you and your family lots of joy, especially audio related.

Thanks for your muses.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #57,269 of 63,884

Users who are viewing this thread

Back