Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #56,207 of 64,379
Today I decided to test the KZ AST with the stock tips for the first time -- never even considered since I got the IEM. Well, they are pure garbage -- no isolation at all and makes the AST sounds like, well, trash. I have been using the CP360 Large since day one and it is fine...

But since I was trying I decided to test the AST with Spinfits CP145 Large. Well, it isolates more and is way more comfortable than CP360s. The trick is to insert the tip in the AST so as it covers all the metal part of the nozzle. When inserting in your ears, use the Etymotic technique (of pulling your ears towards the back of your head while inserting the IEM) and it fits really nice and more comfortable than CP360s. When removing the IEM the tip continues attached to the AST without even moving -- at least for me.

For anyone interested, worth a try.
those are the worst eartips i've ever got with an IEM (even BL-03s are better). i'm fortunate though that AST fits so well for me with any decent tips. i'm used to large eartips for tight seal and improved bass response but the good fit (and thunderous bass) of AST allows medium and more comfort. BGVP W01 is a loose nozzle fit but works - provides even more stereo power from so many drivers (and ++ technicalities combining with small treble boost EQ)

my only issue now is my dac dongle is too simple (no filters, no gain options etc) to check the mids issue (it is very bright at least, maybe it fixed, dunno). i'll have to wait a sale to acquire btr5 (or zishan z4 depending on how it impressions goes)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #56,208 of 64,379
those are the worst eartips i've ever got with an IEM (even BL-03s are better). i'm fortunate though that AST fits so well for with any decent tips. i'm used to large eartips for tight seal and improved bass response but the good fit (and thunderous bass) of AST allows medium and more comfort. BGVP W01 is a loose nozzle fit but works - provides even more stereo power from so many drivers (and ++ technicalities combining with small treble boost EQ)

my only issue now is my dac dongle is too simple (no filters, no gain options etc) to check the mids issue (it is very bright at least, maybe it fixed, dunno). i'll have to wait a sale to acquire btr5 (or zishan z4 depending on how it impressions goes)

I have used my AST with a Hidizs S9 Pro dongle DAC/AMP (no filters or gain options) and later with the Khadas Tone2 Pro which has a gain option. I consider the AST improved a little bit using the Tone2 Pro -- coming from the S9 Pro -- but for me there were no difference whether or not it was in high or low gain except for the volume. I didn't A/B too much because I'm not into spotting the small differences. For me the biggest difference was the change from the stock cable to a balanced cable either in the S9 Pro or the Tone2 Pro.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #56,209 of 64,379
Went and graphed my old ZS6:
graph - 2021-07-30T000919.308.png

graph - 2021-07-30T000939.567.png

Pretty sure my ZS7 is the first version, no clue about the ZS6 though.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #56,210 of 64,379
I have used my AST with a Hidizs S9 Pro dongle DAC/AMP (no filters or gain options) and later with the Khadas Tone2 Pro which has a gain option. I consider the AST improved a little bit using the Tone2 Pro -- coming from the S9 Pro -- but for me there were no difference whether or not it was in high or low gain except for the volume. I didn't A/B too much because I'm not into spotting the small differences. For me the biggest difference was the change from the stock cable to a balanced cable either in the S9 Pro or the Tone2 Pro.
Balanced output really is the only way to go if your equipment can use it. You typically get better channel separation and a lowered noise floor along with the main justification for bothering — more power handling.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #56,211 of 64,379
Balanced output really is the only way to go if your equipment can use it. You typically get better channel separation and a lowered noise floor along with the main justification for bothering — more power handling.

FiiO BTR3k shill, checking in. Even DQ6 sounds amazing on the balanced source. I think a person could spend a lot more money to get either more power for over-ears or more coloration in the sound, but not really better sound. It's clean, accurate, and has plenty of power for IEMs to keep the volumes down and eliminate any hiss or distortion.

I'm drooling over that Cayin C9 on the front page and it looks like its worth every penny. But, euro per ounce, I think the btr3k is probably the best money on hi-fi gear I've ever spent.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #56,212 of 64,379
FiiO BTR3k shill, checking in. Even DQ6 sounds amazing on the balanced source. I think a person could spend a lot more money to get either more power for over-ears or more coloration in the sound, but not really better sound. It's clean, accurate, and has plenty of power for IEMs to keep the volumes down and eliminate any hiss or distortion.

I'm drooling over that Cayin C9 on the front page and it looks like its worth every penny. But, euro per ounce, I think the btr3k is probably the best money on hi-fi gear I've ever spent.
I wholeheartedly agree - BTR3K (and BTR5) are realy great and the price per function seems unbeatable!

BTR3K is very neutral, great power, zero background noise, really well built, and amazing battery life.

Fiio really nailed it with BTR3K and BTR5!

BTR3K does pair really well with more energetic IEMs like DQ6.

I hope to see BTR5K or BTR7 - just a better battery life and a bit longer BT range than BTR5 will nicely do.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #56,213 of 64,379
I wholeheartedly agree - BTR3K (and BTR5) are realy great and the price per function seems unbeatable!

BTR3K is very neutral, great power, zero background noise, really well built, and amazing battery life.

Fiio really nailed it with BTR3K and BTR5!

BTR3K does pair really well with more energetic IEMs like DQ6.

I hope to see BTR5K or BTR7 - just a better battery life and a bit longer BT range than BTR5 will nicely do.
BTR5 user here, i loved it.
Much more neutral and clearer than the more colored DFR.

Wet vocal lover would love some Cayin. I forgot which one i tried, but that Cayin DAP have really sultry vocal presentation

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #56,214 of 64,379
I have been planning to order a BTR5 to use as a primary home/desktop device since it has the better USB chip, and keep this as my walk-around and night stand device. The SQ was a lot better than I expected so I haven't yet had a desire to hit the button. An updated flagship would be an insta-buy.

Wet vocal lover would love some Cayin. I forgot which one i tried, but that Cayin DAP have really sultry vocal presentation

I need to hear a bit more dirty talk like that to liberate 2 g's out of my account. What's a good example of wet vocals? does this just mean vocals with effects or a lot of reverb on 'em?

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #56,216 of 64,379
the only thing im concerned about BTR5 is the LED durability... my old alpen E17 screen died in a year
Your concern may or may not be valid. I have had the BTR5 since it was launched and the LED works just fine. Everything has the potential to fail so look at it in a positive light.

In most instances, you increase and reduce the volume without looking at the screen. You have sonic notification that the BTR5 has been turned on or off. Obviously, pause and play does not require the display (as you can tell that the sound has been paused or is playing) and is not displayed on the screen in any case.

Even more reassuring, if the LED fails, you can control most functions, if not every function on the BTR5 using the Fiio App.

If you like the BTR5 and it is in the right price range for you, get it, but don't let the worry about the durability of the LED stop you.

Jul 30, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #56,217 of 64,379
Your concern may or may not be valid. I have had the BTR5 since it was launched and the LED works just fine. Everything has the potential to fail so look at it in a positive light.

In most instances, you increase and reduce the volume without looking at the screen. You have sonic notification that the BTR5 has been turned on or off. Obviously, pause and play does not require the display (as you can tell that the sound has been paused or is playing) and is not displayed on the screen in any case.

Even more reassuring, if the LED fails, you can control most functions, if not every function on the BTR5 using the Fiio App.

If you like the BTR5 and it is in the right price range for you, get it, but don't let the worry about the durability of the LED stop you.
the app is a wonderful feature indeed, i forgot to consider it

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #56,218 of 64,379
What's great about the app is that it still works and shows information while being connected to two sources. I use the app to control charging, USB priority, and see volume level while connected to my laptop.

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #56,219 of 64,379
I can't describe the sheer enjoyment I'm continuing to get out of the DQ6. I even stopped EQ'ing. I think the ZAX and even the C12 are obviously "better" in technicalities, but for plug and play pair these are really good. And 20 euros shipped including VAT? No brainer.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #56,220 of 64,379
Is there a lot of negative to this model? Why? They are not suitable for smortfonam. Of all the company's headphones fault, these are the best. The sound is good. There were headphones kz 10pro. Thick bass and treble smooth.(google tr.)
v3pmhdBcTsI.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back