Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #55,606 of 63,914
Skipped the ZSX...but I own both the ZS10 PRO and ZAX. I find the ZAX a bit of an improvement to the ZS10 Pro...but not by very much. Both are in my regular rotation; along with Blon BL03 and KBEAR KS1.
Haveing tested pnly EDX and ZSNp I prefer the latter. Also tested the TRN SM1 which sounds as like neutral comapring to the remain ...

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #55,607 of 63,914
On my trusty electric scooter I ran into my postman out and about so he was kind enough to grab my package and hand it to me at 11:30am (our building is his last stop around 7:30pm each day) huge time savings! I’ll be back in awhile with update.
I go everywhere in London by electric scooter and love them. Which one do you have?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the AST. I held off buying the Starsea till I find out how good the AST is.

Keep us updated mate.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #55,608 of 63,914
Haveing tested pnly EDX and ZSNp I prefer the latter. Also tested the TRN SM1 which sounds as like neutral comapring to the remain ...
The extra BA will always give better performance over a single DD especially for KZ. ZSN are one of my all time favourite KZs along with ED9. For $10, there aren't many IEMs that sound as good as them. I've skipped all ZS models since ZSN as I'm very much satisfied with ZSN and didn't want to spend 4x or 5x for more of the same with incremental gains. I bought EDX as it was a cheapie single DD from KZ in many eons.

Unfortunately due to Covid, I've misplaced both ZSN and ED9 while moving my stuff from workplace to home.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #55,609 of 63,914
I go everywhere in London by electric scooter and love them. Which one do you have?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the AST. I held off buying the Starsea till I find out how good the AST is.

Keep us updated mate.
I thought I had a picture of it but I don’t, its E-byke E15 it only does 15mph max but needs no insurance, has a seat and folds up. Weighs 42lbs so I put it in a shopping cart and shop for a backpacks worth of food! Peripheral Neuropathy keeps me from driving and walking without a cane but the scooter is my way to grab stuff from local stores, it has a 25 mile range but I’ve never gone more than 5~6 miles at a time. I’m 63 retired and currently a recliner pilot full time!

The AST sounds very good with lots of detail and nice low end. Its smoothed out over time and I put Xelastic tips and a nicer cable on them and turned it into a seriously well balanced fun to listen to detail monster. I’m loving it more and more, the tips have made a huge positive impact for me. I’m of the opinion that KZ finally put together a winner here, 12 BAs all working very coherently! The bass was prominent out of the box but now the next day with 10-12 hours of using Xelastic tips and a decent upgraded cable its very well balanced to my ears. Its a definite keeper for me and ranks pretty high in my collection, too early to define where exactly but its in my top ten I think for sure the way I have it now. This is just my opinion everybody hears differently but I like it very much.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #55,610 of 63,914
I held off buying the Starsea till I find out how good the AST is.
I like AST more in every way except for fit and when the bass levels get out of control. I don't find Starsea to be very spacious, detailed, or extended(like AST). It's a well-done, balanced, but rather intimate/depthless sound, that I do enjoy the bass/subbass & fit & tunings of. It's like a much warmer, bassier, non-harsh/peaky version of L4. AST will wow you a lot more.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #55,611 of 63,914
What issue is there with the fit?
I don't enjoy using earphones, no matter how good they sound, if they don't fit and stay in place.

I've found the recent KZ/CCA's fit well due to that protrusion at the top clipping in under part of the ear.
DQ6 and ASX both fit quite well although I have to fiddle around with the ASX sometimes for my left ear....right ear is perfect.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #55,612 of 63,914
What issue is there with the fit?
AST is just huge, as you can see in the comparison pic with FH3 & ZAX. (I'm not sure if it's bigger than Starlight, but could be. It fits better than Starlight, though.) It does actually fit me fine, remarkably, but it's not a snug or ideal/optimal fit like L3 or Starsea. If ASX fits you fine, I wouldn't worry; they should be about the same.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #55,613 of 63,914
I don’t have any issue with the fit, they are big and stick out of the ear more but they feel solid to me.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #55,614 of 63,914
AST is just huge, as you can see in the comparison pic with FH3 & ZAX. (I'm not sure if it's bigger than Starlight, but could be. It fits better than Starlight, though.) It does actually fit me fine, remarkably, but it's not a snug or ideal/optimal fit like L3 or Starsea. If ASX fits you fine, I wouldn't worry; they should be about the same.
AST is a bit smaller than ASX, bigger than DQ6 and about the same tho a little bit different shape than CSN.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #55,615 of 63,914
I thought I had a picture of it but I don’t, its E-byke E15 it only does 15mph max but needs no insurance, has a seat and folds up. Weighs 42lbs so I put it in a shopping cart and shop for a backpacks worth of food! Peripheral Neuropathy keeps me from driving and walking without a cane but the scooter is my way to grab stuff from local stores, it has a 25 mile range but I’ve never gone more than 5~6 miles at a time. I’m 63 retired and currently a recliner pilot full time!

The AST sounds very good with lots of detail and nice low end. Its smoothed out over time and I put Xelastic tips and a nicer cable on them and turned it into a seriously well balanced fun to listen to detail monster. I’m loving it more and more, the tips have made a huge positive impact for me. I’m of the opinion that KZ finally put together a winner here, 12 BAs all working very coherently! The bass was prominent out of the box but now the next day with 10-12 hours of using Xelastic tips and a decent upgraded cable its very well balanced to my ears. Its a definite keeper for me and ranks pretty high in my collection, too early to define where exactly but its in my top ten I think for sure the way I have it now. This is just my opinion everybody hears differently but I like it very much.
Thanks for the update.

I've never owned a solely BA IEM. I usually prefer to have a DD for the bass, but i'm thinking it might be time. I guess its getting more time than the starsea at the moment.

Good to see the US has legalized scooters. The UK is still years behind as usual.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #55,616 of 63,914
I like AST more in every way except for fit and when the bass levels get out of control. I don't find Starsea to be very spacious, detailed, or extended(like AST). It's a well-done, balanced, but rather intimate/depthless sound, that I do enjoy the bass/subbass & fit & tunings of. It's like a much warmer, bassier, non-harsh/peaky version of L4. AST will wow you a lot more.
Thanks for the advice.

Nice to hear from someone who owns both.

Owning something with 24 BA's should be mandatory for any collector.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #55,617 of 63,914
"In my opinion, this is by far the best earphone KZ has ever made, and if you are already a fan of the brand, then I can happily recommend you check them out. There are many good earphones at this price, but for an all BA model, I think this is one of the best I have personally heard. Thumbs up, and let’s hope KZ takes this new direction and sticks to it..."

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/kz-ast-review

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #55,618 of 63,914
"In my opinion, this is by far the best earphone KZ has ever made, and if you are already a fan of the brand, then I can happily recommend you check them out. There are many good earphones at this price, but for an all BA model, I think this is one of the best I have personally heard. Thumbs up, and let’s hope KZ takes this new direction and sticks to it..."

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/kz-ast-review
And as seen in the linked amazon page posibly the company's most expensive ...also very high in Ali Possibly only for musicians

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #55,619 of 63,914
Anybody else try Xelastic tips on CKX? They isolate much better and just make the CKX shine! I think the CKX is KZ’s best to date myself,
anyone else feel that way?

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #55,620 of 63,914
Anybody else try Xelastic tips on CKX? They isolate much better and just make the CKX shine! I think the CKX is KZ’s best to date myself,
anyone else feel that way?
It is in my top three KZ/CCA along with the ZS7 and BA10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back